photo question

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
Fish-or-man?
Commander

photo question

Post by Fish-or-man? » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:55 pm

This isn't a suggestion, it's a question, but I figure this is the forum for it (it's an Aaron and Mike question).

I typically take pictures whenever I go fishing, usually of fish I catch, whether they are big or small. With this new format it's easier than ever to post your picture(s) along with your report. So my question is: Should I post pictures with all of my reports, or only post a picture when I catch a trophy fish, to save bandwidth? I really know nothing about it; I just wouldn't want to waste your webspace with 10-inch trout pictures if there is some kind of cost to you. Also do you have a prefrence on what size pictures (resolutions) to post with our reports?

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

RE:photo question

Post by Aaron » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:14 pm

Go ahead and post a picture with your report if there is something you think the readers will want to see. our software resizes and compresses your photos when you upload them so don't worry too much about that. As a rule, our software resizes to 1024x768 at around 120k.. only if the pic is larger than that. If your are smaller in resolution or size it will leave them as they are.

Bandwidth has recently become a large problem.. we were serving about 10,000MB a day on the old format but with a little tweaking here and there I have managed to take it down to about 200-400MB per day. Anymore than 500MB a day and we start paying more for it.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:16 pm

I would say as a rule of thumb, is the picture something you'd like to see ten years from now when you look back on old reports? This site is your online fishing diary, so by all means if it is something you want saved for the memories post it! As Aaron said, we will deal with bandwidth issues as needed.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

GURU
Angler

Post by GURU » Wed May 02, 2007 5:19 pm

My question is where is the photo contest that is monthly, I can't seem to find it, or are you guys just not doing it anymore, thanks....G

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed May 02, 2007 8:00 pm

The Photo Contest was something I would do from time to time. The monthly contest is a random drawing of fishing reports. Which I missed last month (way too busy!). I plan to announce shortly for this month's contest, which will be limited to registered members only, so your odds have just improved quite a bit! Stay tuned...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

GURU
Angler

Post by GURU » Fri May 04, 2007 4:28 pm

Thanks for the info, I look forward to seeing who wins, and I love the new site=d>