Noob seeking Non noob

Looking for a spontanious fishing partner? Got a quick trip open seat/share a ride available? Post it here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
CincyMatt
Petty Officer

Noob seeking Non noob

Post by CincyMatt » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi!
I am relocating finally from Cincinnati, Ohio to Mason County Wa. I fish here a lot, but have never caught a Salmon or Trout in my life! I would very much appreciate anyone with some time to show me some methods, and or good places to fish. I am also very interested in salt water as well. I have never fished in the ocean from a boat. I am good company, would pay my own way, and love to meet a few people in my new home. I will be living around Grapeview Allyn, but would drive for a new experience when able. Please let me know if you want to take a Midwestern noob fishin!
Attachments
Pacific Northwest trip 1 730.jpg

gaSSer41
Petty Officer

Re: Noob seeking Non noob

Post by gaSSer41 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:45 pm

Hello Cincy
I live in Bremerton which not far from you. I do fish the local lakes over hear & salt water too! You are more than welcome to fish with me anytime.
Butch Duke

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:31 am

Hey Cincy,
Welcome. Well I can pretty much guarantee you'll soon be catching all the trout you can handle, and living in that area, you'll have to give Spencer Lake a shot. Trout lakes are all around you. Be aware that some lakes are closed in the winter, but I think they all open up the 4th weekend in April. Get a free copy of the state pamphlet to confirm anything (Walmart or any sporting place). I live up in Kingston, but do hit Spencer a few times each year. 'Opening Day, it has a derby, if I am not mistaken. Drop me a line anytime. All the best. Dave

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:21 am

DavidA wrote:Hey Cincy,
Get a free copy of the state pamphlet to confirm anything (Walmart or any sporting place)e
Fyi.... there is a direct link to the regs, right at the upper part of this website under 'Links'

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:48 am

The Quadfather wrote:
DavidA wrote:Hey Cincy,
Get a free copy of the state pamphlet to confirm anything (Walmart or any sporting place)e
Fyi.... there is a direct link to the regs, right at the upper part of this website under 'Links'
Best to have a paper copy on one's person at all times while fishing. A person might have a question, or decide to go to a different lake while getting skunked at the chosen lake, and not know that the second lake might have different gear rules, or might even be closed. And one can make notes on the paper copy. [biggrin]
Tom.

Interests: living

CincyMatt
Petty Officer

Post by CincyMatt » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:42 am

Hey thanks so much all! Im so excited to start learning and maybe catching a fish or 2!

CincyMatt
Petty Officer

Post by CincyMatt » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:17 pm

Also,
I am extremely interested in salt water fishing. I have lived 14 hours from the nearest ocean for all my 43 years lol. I would love to fish for Seabass, Halibut, Lincod, Ocean Perch, or any other species, shrimping, crabbing, fishing the Straight. Basically I am down for whatever, as I have never done ANY of this and would happily pay my way and try not to fumble to much for an Ohioan and a flat lander. Oh, and I do know how to fly fish as well lol

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:35 pm

A few quick tips you might find useful:
- the shrimp season is maybe 4 days (4 hr) per year (May?) so try to get yourself on a boat ASAP
- summer crab is ~July & Aug, so getting to go out at least once isn't as hard
- you can trout fish year round, if the lake is open, and not frozen, but when cold, bottom fishing is likely best so the shore or a dock will work
- salmon is very time, place, species, etc specific, so much planning is required there
Good luck

CincyMatt
Petty Officer

Post by CincyMatt » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:18 am

Thank you so much for all the info and remember if you have an extra seat or want some company doing ANY of this please let me know haha. 3 weeks till my move!

TeachingTitusToFish
Petty Officer

Post by TeachingTitusToFish » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:59 pm

You picked a great year to move. Pinks return this year. Super easy salmon to catch... pretty much the only salmon we can still catch [thumbdn]. Late summer into early fall. And like everyone else has said, you'll catch your fair share of trout. Welcome!

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:07 pm

Cincy,
I fish primarily for trout (boat) in a few of the local lakes - Nahwatzel, Spencer, Black (Thurston co) and will be exploring Kokanee fishing this year. My boat (16 ft Smokercraft Pro) comfortably fishes two. I usually troll with an electric motor and normally do quite well. My wife always tells me to find a fishing friend so I guess this is a start. Let me know if interested this early spring. [thumbup]