Smokers vs. Non Smokers at a dock

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
returnofthefish
Captain

Smokers vs. Non Smokers at a dock

Post by returnofthefish » Thu May 15, 2014 7:24 am

Some docks clearly have signs that says no smoking and some dont. So what do you guys think about people complaining about people smoking at docks where its ok? whos right and whos wrong? I put out my cigarette if its bothering people near me or try to smoke far away out of common courtesy.

mizm05
Commander

Re: Smokers vs. Non Smokers at a dock

Post by mizm05 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:43 am

If it's legal to smoke there...I smoke.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu May 15, 2014 7:59 am

I smoke. Haven't noticed no smoking signs at the ramps I use.

I'm getting lots of practice at quitting, some day, it'll stick.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

PokeyPrasch
Petty Officer

Post by PokeyPrasch » Thu May 15, 2014 10:31 am

By all means smoke if there is nothing prohibiting it.

Though it can be an annoyance to non-smokers and some people have reactions similar to allergies. If you wanted to be polite, you might ask if it bothers anyone, it would give them the chance to either speak up or at least not fault you as you gave them the chance. (My biggest issue with some smokers is that they act as if cigarette butts aren't litter)

In my opinion the "who's right vs. wrong" is a moot point. There are a lot of things that one could do and not violate any rules or laws but impact the enjoyment of people around you whom share a similar interest.

Do what you want, but being considerate is pretty cool in my book.
Last edited by PokeyPrasch on Thu May 15, 2014 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Batman Kiddie Pole

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu May 15, 2014 10:46 am

I smoke huge cigars anywhere but the fuel dock. If they don't like it, they can go inside and hang out with the no smoking signs.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu May 15, 2014 10:57 am

Hey, for now it is still a somewhat free country so light up. Just be sure to clean up after yourself and don't use the dock to put out your cigs. Nothing more unsightly than seeing a bunch of black marks and butts all over the dock.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu May 15, 2014 11:57 am

I wouldn't smoke around kids, but if there are no signs, then have at it. I think second hand smoke smells delicious. Maybe stand downwind of folks that don't like, but nothing makes fishing less fun like niccing all day. Working on quitting, but every once in a while I break.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu May 15, 2014 12:20 pm

its 2013, people still smoke in public?

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Thu May 15, 2014 1:06 pm

I don't smoke cigs but its a free country just please be respectful of children.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu May 15, 2014 1:09 pm

oneshot wrote:its 2013, people still smoke in public?
Yeah, just about anything now days....... [woot]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:01 pm

I quit smoking cigs 20 years ago but I still like cigars. Nothing better than being out on the salt with a little chop, smoking a big cigar and listening to my buddies ***** and moan. My boat after all. But I don't usually smoke cigars at the dock.

Bodofish wrote:I smoke huge cigars anywhere but the fuel dock. If they don't like it, they can go inside and hang out with the no smoking signs.

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:46 pm

Agree with the kid thing. I even go as far as trying to hold my cigarette so the kid can't see it. In my mind I tell myself that I'm not sending a bad message that way. LOL

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu May 15, 2014 3:30 pm

[quote="BARCHASER"]I quit smoking cigs 20 years ago but I still like cigars. Nothing better than being out on the salt with a little chop, smoking a big cigar and listening to my buddies ***** and moan. My boat after all. But I don't usually smoke cigars at the dock.

=D> couldn't agree more!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Thu May 15, 2014 3:37 pm

Last I checked, it was 2014. :cheers:

I'll add, I spend so little time on the dock that if I didn't smoke, people wouldn't know I had been there. I'm just a blur! Ha Ha!

It's unlikely I'd be smoking on the dock anyway, too busy.....launching or retrieving. :salut:
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri May 16, 2014 10:08 am

MarkFromSea wrote:
Last I checked, it was 2014. :cheers:

I'll add, I spend so little time on the dock that if I didn't smoke, people wouldn't know I had been there. I'm just a blur! Ha Ha!

It's unlikely I'd be smoking on the dock anyway, too busy.....launching or retrieving. :salut:

bam! time warp... haha

I quit smoking 2 years ago.. I'm no Nazi about smoking, but I prefer not to be around smokers anymore if I can.. that said, I have a 14FT boat and I let my smoking friends smoke away on it all day.. long as they share the weed too.. :P

I never smoked around kids and I think if you do you are not giving them a choice to breath clean air, parents that smoke in their cars with their children? wtf??? that also makes me angry.. my own kid didn't even know I smoked for the 1st 3 to 4 years, I hid from him when I smoked. then soon after he knew, I quit..

on topic. i'm ok with you smoking outside on the dock around me.. I only ask that you respect my kids air if he is with me.. and just step away..

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri May 16, 2014 11:28 am

I don't smoke nor do I care if others smoke. What I don't like is fishing around drunks or the one too many drinkers.When guys drink too many they become experts at everything. Smoke em if you got them . Just leave the booze at home.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Fri May 16, 2014 12:46 pm

Some teen has been complaining about the smokers at the location where I fish. I put it out as a form of common coutesy, but the others smoked because it was ok to smoke there. If it was little kids, then yeah, i would definitely distanace myself from them.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri May 16, 2014 2:17 pm

You meant cigarettes didn't you? If so smoking is still better then chewing and spitting brown lugies all over.

Schenk
Petty Officer

Post by Schenk » Tue May 20, 2014 12:49 pm

This topic and some of the responses remind me of the winter I shoveled 2 feet of snow off the street (plows would take another 2 days to get to our street) so my elderly parents could come visit me and have a place to park. The next door neighbor swooped in and parked there within 5 minutes after I finished shoveling the spot clear.
I went next door and asked him to move since I just spent 2 hours sweating and shoveling the spot for my parents who were due to arrive soon.
His response was "it is legal for me to park anywhere in the street that I want so I will not move my car for you just because you shoveled that spot out".

Yup; he was a jerk, but legal.
Doing something legal doesn't exclude anyone from the Jerk Club

I spent two hours after dark shoveling the snow back around his car.
He did not make it to work the next morning...hahaha...the snow was work hardened and frozen SOLID.

Schenk
Petty Officer

Post by Schenk » Tue May 20, 2014 12:51 pm

returnofthefish wrote:Some docks clearly have signs that says no smoking and some dont. So what do you guys think about people complaining about people smoking at docks where its ok? whos right and whos wrong? I put out my cigarette if its bothering people near me or try to smoke far away out of common courtesy.

You sir are a gentleman, a rarity. Hats off to you! [thumbup]
Last edited by Schenk on Tue May 20, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.