Retirement location for fishing

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
sickbayer
Commodore

Re: Retirement location for fishing

Post by sickbayer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:08 pm

MarkFromSea wrote:There was once a businessman who was sitting by the beach in a small Brazilian village.
As he sat, he saw a Brazilian fisherman rowing a small boat towards the shore having caught quite few big fish.
The businessman was impressed and asked the fisherman, “How long does it take you to catch so many fish?”
The fisherman replied, “Oh, just a short while.”
“Then why don’t you stay longer at sea and catch even more?” The businessman was astonished.
“This is enough to feed my whole family,” the fisherman said.
The businessman then asked, “So, what do you do for the rest of the day?”
The fisherman replied, “Well, I usually wake up early in the morning, go out to sea and catch a few fish, then go back and play with my kids. In the afternoon, I take a nap with my wife, and evening comes, I join my buddies in the village for a drink — we play guitar, sing and dance throughout the night.”
The businessman offered a suggestion to the fisherman.
“I am a PhD in business management. I could help you to become a more successful person. From now on, you should spend more time at sea and try to catch as many fish as possible. When you have saved enough money, you could buy a bigger boat and catch even more fish. Soon you will be able to afford to buy more boats, set up your own company, your own production plant for canned food and distribution network. By then, you will have moved out of this village and to Sao Paulo, where you can set up HQ to manage your other branches.”
The fisherman continues, “And after that?”
The businessman laughs heartily, “After that, you can live like a king in your own house, and when the time is right, you can go public and float your shares in the Stock Exchange, and you will be rich.”
The fisherman asks, “And after that?”
The businessman says, “After that, you can finally retire, you can move to a house by the fishing village, wake up early in the morning, catch a few fish, then return home to play with kids, have a nice afternoon nap with your wife, and when evening comes, you can join your buddies for a drink, play the guitar, sing and dance throughout the night!”
The fisherman was puzzled, “Isn’t that what I am doing now?”
capitalism the biggest scam of them all.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:27 pm

All these years I thought it was just a way to differentiate from "lower case". (capitalized vs lower case) Ha Ha!

Looking at zillow, Raymond, Chinook, Cathlamet, Stevenson, Centralia, bunch others. Bit surprised, some screamin deals on I-5 corridor and close, more expensive out by Chinook, Raymond....
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:02 am

My buddy Paul is a retired army officer. We went to high school and college together. I still fish with him 3-4 times a year mostly stay at his place and fish the Columbia in his boat although we also meet at CQ or PA and fish Halibut in my boat.

He lives in Columbia City, OR which is just downstream from St. Helens, OR and across the river from Woodland. That area has had economic problems lately, lumber mills closed, pulp mill closed etc. The development my budd lives in was built about 10-12 years ago and the house prices are cheap! Nice little development, several houses for sale, only around 30 miles from the Pacific Beaches and couple miles to several launching ramps and fishing beaches on the Columbia. Pretty much the whole neighborhood fishes. Its 50 miles from Portland, close enough so that when you get older, need more med stuff and you will, it is close enough. I'd like to move there but they have these things called wife, children, grandchildren etc that makes that difficult.

I know you want to be near the beaches but Columbia City is a nice area.

sealegs
Warrant Officer

Post by sealegs » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:37 am

I have some more time left before retirement and see places around washington/Oregon/Idaho i can see living in. great information here!

Froggie
Petty Officer

Post by Froggie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:27 am

Actually, I am retired and my husband has 3 more school years to go! We are looking at the Spokane, WA area. Close to good fishing areas, hospital, culture, scenery, outdoor activities, 4 seasons & reasonable housing. Any comments/ suggestions about Spokane would be gratefully accepted.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:40 pm

Froggie wrote:Actually, I am retired and my husband has 3 more school years to go! We are looking at the Spokane, WA area. Close to good fishing areas, hospital, culture, scenery, outdoor activities, 4 seasons & reasonable housing. Any comments/ suggestions about Spokane would be gratefully accepted.
Culture and Spokane in the same sentence??? DOH!!! I just did it too! [rolleyes]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:38 am

Bodofish wrote:
Froggie wrote:Actually, I am retired and my husband has 3 more school years to go! We are looking at the Spokane, WA area. Close to good fishing areas, hospital, culture, scenery, outdoor activities, 4 seasons & reasonable housing. Any comments/ suggestions about Spokane would be gratefully accepted.
Culture and Spokane in the same sentence??? DOH!!! I just did it too! [rolleyes]
Wouldn't trade our piece of heaven for ALL the culture in the I-5 corridor, not at all. [flapper]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:56 pm

hewesfisher wrote:
Bodofish wrote:
Wouldn't trade our piece of heaven for ALL the culture in the I-5 corridor, not at all. [flapper]
But then you don't live in Spokane either. [tongue] I'm not real big on culture period, I'll be out of here as soon as I can.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:58 am

Bodofish wrote:
hewesfisher wrote:Wouldn't trade our piece of heaven for ALL the culture in the I-5 corridor, not at all. [flapper]
But then you don't live in Spokane either. [tongue] I'm not real big on culture period, I'll be out of here as soon as I can.
True Bodo, we don't live IN Spokane but it's only 17 miles to the first off ramp when we need to go. [cool]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount