Looking to get some reels serviced

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
doyourtime89
Angler

Looking to get some reels serviced

Post by doyourtime89 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:28 pm

I have a few Shimano spinning and levelwind reels that I am looking to get serviced. They all work but just not working smooth, I would like that cleaned and serviced. I am sure some might need some minor repairs like maybe washers or gears. Does anyone know someone that does these? Thanks

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Looking to get some reels serviced

Post by Amx » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:48 pm

where do you live??

take them to your local fishing reel store and see where they send them to get cleaned or fixed...
Tom.

Interests: living

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:33 pm

You could always look to Youtube for How To instructions that are easy to follow. Enter the name and model of your reel in the search field and see what comes up. Should be videos showing how to disassemble, clean and service your reels - and in the amount of time it would take you to drive your reels over to a repair / service person and back, you could be done - with some experience gained and dollars saved.

onmygame

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:51 pm

http://www.olliedamons.com/reelrepair.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am sending this guy about 5 reels any day now.
I have been reading for years how much people love his work.
Double check address, as I know he changed location awhile ago.
I don't worry at all about having to ship to Portland. This guy has an excellent reputation!

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:16 pm

John' s Sporting Goods up in Everett is the Reel support location in Washington for Shimano. I have used them in the past and get to send a few his direction again soon.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:58 am

This comes up every few years, but the last time I checked in at John's, the guy that serviced reels had gone back to Boeing and was no longer doing reels. It's worth a call I suppose.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:07 am

Onmygame wrote:You could always look to Youtube for How To instructions that are easy to follow. Enter the name and model of your reel in the search field and see what comes up. Should be videos showing how to disassemble, clean and service your reels - and in the amount of time it would take you to drive your reels over to a repair / service person and back, you could be done - with some experience gained and dollars saved.

onmygame
^^^^
Good advice! I have Daiwa SeaLine SGLCs (2-47s & 2-27s) I've been using for many years, one pair for at least 10yrs, without any service. I started searching for reel repair/service shops and in my search found some good reel repair forums. Also found some DIY video for cleaning/servicing my reels as well as drag upgrades. I'm very mechanically adept, so I ordered new drag washers and did the service myself. Piece of cake. Dumped the felt washer drags for new carbon fiber drags which are awesome.

If you have patience and time, this isn't hard to do. This is the forum I visited and there are ton of tutorial videos plus parts sources too - http://alantani.com/index.php?PHPSESSID ... shiq3hmdb5&" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[thumbup]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System