Potholes / Moses Lake area hotels

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
KevinS
Petty Officer

Potholes / Moses Lake area hotels

Post by KevinS » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:25 pm

I hope to head over to Potholes this year for some bass fishing. I'd like to get suggestions on "boater friendly" locations around the Moses Lake area to stay at (i.e. parking for a truck with boat and electricity to charge batteries overnight). I am aware of Mar Don resort and camping at the state park at Potholes. I'd prefer a hotel or a camping cabin rather using my ground or truck bed tents - I do like air conditioning when it's hot. [thumbup]

Thanks in advance for comments/recommendations, Kevin

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Re: Potholes / Moses Lake area hotels

Post by hlindsay » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:34 pm

Do you know that the state park has camping cabins with power, air and heat. no running water or cooking inside. they are right on the water.

KevinS
Petty Officer

Post by KevinS » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yea, the state park has camping cabins (Mar Don too but only four, I think). Wanted to get additional recommendations on other places to stay in case both the park and Mar Don are booked. I would go to Potholes during midweek rather than on the weekend to have a better chance of booking a place when I can get vacation.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Mardon use to have 4, I think, cabins up by the store, and another 4 or so up north kinda near the other end of their property.
Tom.

Interests: living

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:17 pm

We have stayed in a couple of different hotels in Moses while fishing at Potholes. Mardon and the state park do not compare as far as comfort or amenities. I will never stay at Mardon again.

We stayed at the Shilo Inn at the intersection of 17 and I-90 a couple of times. Decent parking for trailers, ok rooms, pool. As far as charging, you might get lucky or you might not. You will have to try to get a room near where you park the boat and run a cord outside to the boat. That doesnt always work out. We didnt see any outlets to plug into outside that we could get to. The other good thing about that general area is Bobs Cafe in on the same lot. Great place for an early bfast you can walk to from your room.

We also stayed at the Travel Lodge on S Pioneer way in Moses lake. Not as nice but still ok rooms if your just a bunch of guys on a fishing trip, worse parking because you ahve to park in a lot behind the hotel, so its harder to keep tabs on the boat. The parking lot is also harder to get into when there is traffic. Cheaper rates though. We didnt even try to charge there, the boat was parked too far away.

Next time we are going back to Shilo.

There are some really nice places to eat dinner in Moses though. We especially like The Porterhouse Steak house, Michaels On The Lake, and El Rodeo. El Rodeo is the least $ but very good mex with large portions. Micheals is more top end and $$$ but very good food and right on the water. Porterhouse has first class steaks and drinks for in between $$.

KevinS
Petty Officer

Post by KevinS » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 am

Thanks Larry for the hotel info and dining locations. I should have worded my electricity access preference about being able to run a long power cord out of ones room without hotel management complaining. Maybe I should consider bringing large plastic floor mats to be able to cover a cord crossing a walkway to ease a managers worry of someone tripping.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:17 am

So far, no one has ever given us official permission to run any cord. If it looks like we can do it safely, we just wait till after dark and do it. Dont be surprised if they wake you up in the middle of the night and ask you to remove it though.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:54 am

There is a RV Park across the road from the Potholes State Park, They have a few park model trailers they rent by the night. We stayed in one of them a couple years ago and it was really nice and affordable. There is another smaller RV Park about 6 or 7 miles east of Mardon that also rent park models.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:33 pm

Moses Lake Best Western right on the lake. Even has a dock for guests. Nice clean hotel with a nice complimentary breakfast.

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:09 am

I have used the Shilo many times with fishing buddies and echo Larry's comments about it and Bob's Cafe, which is right there, seems almost always open, has a good variety and decent prices. Shilo does have a free basic continental breakfast starting at 6:00 am. Though air conditioned, on really hot days units on the top floor can not keep up and it gets hot regardless, even at midnight. The pool is decent and there is an ok hot tub, steam room and a couple treadmills. It's not fancy, but a good step up from camping, with decent amenities, and good location.

KevinS
Petty Officer

Post by KevinS » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:30 am

Thanks all for the comments. As for the Shilo Inn, visitors have noted on Google reviews that the place is being remodeled.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:24 am

I've stayed at Mardons 3-4 times. I haven't been there for 10-12 years. Nothing plush for sure but we thought it was OK. Certainly convenient. But that was in Nov-Dec for duck hunting, its prob a lot noisier in the summer.