Who fish's private lakes?

When you want to discuss your favorite Secret Lake, keep your conversations confined to this forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
CoachDre
Angler

RE:Who fish's private lakes?

Post by CoachDre » Mon May 18, 2009 1:37 pm

Five months ago, I moved to some apartments in Mountlake Terrace where there is a pond that measures about 20 yards across at its widest point and about 50 yard long.
We moved in in January and it was mostly frozen over and although I checked each day for some sign of fish, I could find none. About a month ago I decided to walk over with my fishing gear and put on a copper colored Bluefox spinner. I cast about 6 times down the bank about 3 feet out with no success. On my 7th cast..........BOOM!!!! About an 18" football shaped rainbow nailed my line!
I put him back and cast out another 3 times in the same area and SLAM!!! Another rainbow around 15" and just as fat! The next thing I new, I had drawn a crowed of little kids ranging from around 6 to 10 years old. One little boy looks up at me and says, "You won't catch the really BIG ONES with that lure." "You have to use bread." I gave him a smile that only an experienced, and overly cocky, 40 year old father/grandfather/fisherman could give a kid and said, "Sure son. Thanks for the tip" and continued casting my lure.
Suddenly there were the kids, back with handfuls of bread throwing them in right next to me about 4 feet out from shore. Just as suddenly, there were MONSTER TROUT taking the bread right off the surface! I couldn't believe it! Of course the little guy that mentioned the bread now was giving me that wry smile and so I laughed, put on a single hook with a piece of bread and within moments I had about a 24" HUGE, male Cutbow giving me all I could handle on ten pound test!!!
I fought him in, landed him, and proceeded to take some pics with the kids who gave me the secret bait of the resident pond and took one of him for me, then put this Trophy trout of a lifetime......back in the pond, swimming away strongly.
Since then, in 3 trips back to pond, I've landed one monster after another! The last trip two days ago, a 22" fat, rainbow. I guess even a salty old fisherman can learn something new from the next generation.

bp11139
Petty Officer

Post by bp11139 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:59 pm

Mind sharing where the secret lake is? i live shoreline and would love to catch a few big ones. PM if you want to share. No worries, wont tell, wont keep em either. Thanks.

CoachDre
Angler

Post by CoachDre » Mon May 18, 2009 2:17 pm

Just one of the Monsters that I caught in the small pond in the middle of our apartments in Mountlake Terrace, Wa.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:11 am

Lets see some pics:-$ don't care the location of these 24inch cutts in a 20 yard pond!?:cheers: :chef:

Just the ground and pics of the fish would be sweet!:thumright 8-[ :clown:

howardi211
Petty Officer

Post by howardi211 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:27 am

wow good job coachdre. any pics? ground pics would be great! i have a friend who lives in mountlake terrace and i use to be up there alot, but never knew that there was a pond just around the corner with monsters. drove by the small lake next to the golf course a few times and decided to drop a line in the water one day. no bites...so im guessing its not the same one. haha. well either way, good find. atleast someone found it =) tight lines.

ckim85
Commander

Post by ckim85 » Wed May 20, 2009 12:50 am

think i may have located it on google maps haha.

you may find me throwing some lures out there and trying out the bread for a monster

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:19 pm

Private Lake--Lake Umek near Ravensdale,..not on a map,..and very Private! LMB-Perch-Stocker RBT-Huge Holdovers,..here's a few pics from last year,..might be headed there tomorrow for the 1st time this year!

BB
Attachments
Property_9-13-08_012_Small.jpg
Property_9-13-08_012_Small.jpg (48.61 KiB) Viewed 15144 times
IMG_1276_Small.JPG
IMG_1276_Small.JPG (65.54 KiB) Viewed 15148 times
Camping__Lewis_Small.jpg
Camping__Lewis_Small.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 15147 times
Camping__Property_Small.jpg
Camping__Property_Small.jpg (55.96 KiB) Viewed 15148 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

topdawg47
Warrant Officer

Post by topdawg47 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:11 pm

BassinBomer-

Hit the weights way don't ya! ha-ha! Got some Steel Pipes going there. You play ball back in the day? Nice cathces on the RB Trout tho
Go Huskies!

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:15 am

topdawg47 wrote:BassinBomer-

Hit the weights way don't ya! ha-ha! Got some Steel Pipes going there. You play ball back in the day? Nice cathces on the RB Trout tho
No weights TD,..just some good ole Spam-Rice-And Eggs,..HaHa,..I played B-Ball in High School believe it or not,..point guard!

BB
"Passion-4-Bassin"

fishing collector
Captain

Post by fishing collector » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:31 am

I have known about that pondin MtLk Terrace for years and it isn't for public fishing.... This pond is very private with no public fishing. It is for kids and people of the apartments. Strictly Catch and release with barb-less hooks only and no bait. My cousin was the manager of the apt's for several years and stocked it with several species of fish. It is really a kids fishing spot in the center of the complex. I think that if anyone was to fish there they should get an OK from the manager. It is like fishing in a barrel and would be sad to see a bunch of people fishing there due to a posting in this forum. There are plenty of other lakes and ponds to catch fish. Today is free fishing day....Take a kid and fish with them...Try Silver Lake or Martha Lake just south of Everett.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

funkay3
Angler

Post by funkay3 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:38 am

Bob Johansen wrote:
BassinBomber wrote:I fish a small lake/pond from early Spring 2 early Fall,..east of Ravensdale,..body of water is about 18' deep and is fed in the middle from underground,..holds stocked RBT as well as Big Holdovers,..Perch and LMB,..caught my PB Bucketmouth outta there! The LMB have a tendency 2 get BIG,..they feed on RBT stockers and Perch so there's plenty of food,..the problem is getting permission 2 fish the water,..my cousins in-laws own property there but they don't like people 2 much,..funny style,..but when I do get out there I always do well with huge RBT and LMB!

Hey Bomber, I had the privlege to fish Lake Retreat a couple times and caught some dandy bass over 3 pounds and even perch on a white spinner bait and crappie on a top water Rapala.

I tried lake retreat in the fall... i didint catch anything. what time were you fishing? and what did you use for the bass?

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:05 pm

Hittin Lake Umek late tonight and early Sat morning with the Toon,..Frog-Bassin is in order,..caught 2 last week on a Buzz-Bait,..10"dinks but didn't have my Kermit,..allot of small frogs around the shoreline so I figure the SPRO-Kermit should do well,..also the BBZ-4" Floater/Perch Pattern,..a whloe mess of Perch in the Lake,..if this dosen't produce I'll throw some weightless worms/creatures,..the RBT are way 2 big for the Bass 2 play with now,..haven't stocked the lake in 4 years,..most of the RBT are 16" or bigger,..hopefully we'll get a BIG-GURL!

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:09 pm

BassFanatic and I fished this lake hard from 4:45 AM all day and into the late evening then I hit it again today at 5 AM till 12,..I was in my Toon and he was in a Paddle-Boat,..HaHa,..so I attached a line 2 it and trolled him around,..in 2005 I pulled a 6 pound LMB outta here and since then the biggest has been 1+ lb,..from what I hear talking 2 some of the property owners allot of people since 2005 have been pulling the BIG-GURLS out and keeping them when they catch them,..#-o ,..this floored me cause I didn't know this,..all day Sat I caught 6 Bass,..12" or smaller then 3 more dinks today and on every presentation I threw at them,..from Kermits 2 weightless plastics,..but didn't even see any cruising Bigger-Bass in this shallow lake on either of the days,..either the BIG-GURLS are deep or they are totally gone,..the deepest part of the lake is in the middle at 18',..I tried there with plastics and nothing,..I suggested 2 some of the owners that next time they stock the lake in 2010 they should use 8" vs 10" stockers 2 help out the LMB population as I feel this lake is stunted,..I believe all the BIG-BASS are gone,..there are still plenty of Perch and Crawdads for forage as well as Frogs,..I have disected this lake pretty well and I'm not sure what else can be done,..if the 6 lb Bass I caught in 2005 was still in the lake it might be near 8+ lbs now,..2 bad,..any thoughts people?

BB
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Passion-4-Bassin"

imonaboat
Angler

Post by imonaboat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:50 pm

I fish a private lake. We have rainbow, crappie, large/small bass, a few catfish and the usual suspects. It's posted No Trespassing about every 15 feet but it's amazing how many people will unload a boat right next to one of the signs or leave their car right next to another sign. We've been overrun by trespassers lately so we've had to resort to calling the police as most won't leave when informed that they are trespassing. The litter, campfires on dry land and kids in boats without PFD continue to demonstrate the carelessness of some. Those people have ruined it for others we might let in.

I'd suggest asking for permission and knowing who gave you permission if you fish a private lake. I would also ask for permission each time you go out so the property owner knows you're there. A little common sense and courtesy will go a long ways.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:26 pm

I have access to a lake at the south end of lake stevens called stitch pond. My father has a house on the stream in between the two lakes and in the fall every once in a while you will see some salmon running up the stream. But the pond doesnt have public access but there are about 5 houses on it. Last summer i caught atleast 5 large mouth bass over 5lbs. One of the neigbors caught a 10lb bass about 5 years ago, and i have seen many very very large bass from my 8 foot livingston. This lake also has some kokanee and some trout, it gets very heavy milfoil or pond scum in the summer but is still a blast to fish in. Supposidly there is a 20 in. coy but i dunno if i believe that!

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:12 pm

[email protected] wrote:I have access to a lake at the south end of lake stevens called stitch pond. My father has a house on the stream in between the two lakes and in the fall every once in a while you will see some salmon running up the stream. But the pond doesnt have public access but there are about 5 houses on it. Last summer i caught atleast 5 large mouth bass over 5lbs. One of the neigbors caught a 10lb bass about 5 years ago, and i have seen many very very large bass from my 8 foot livingston. This lake also has some kokanee and some trout, it gets very heavy milfoil or pond scum in the summer but is still a blast to fish in. Supposidly there is a 20 in. coy but i dunno if i believe that!
ive always wanted to fish that lake, i live near it but just never have meet anyone who lives on it or has permission to fish it
my buddies aunt has 3 prrivate lakes, 2 fishable
1 is tinny, but has a bunch or 12-16 lmb and about 10 carp all over 10 pounds
then the largest of the lakes is fullllll! of lmb most are 12" but the first fish i ever caught out of it was a 3# lmb, more than a few large carp, some monster trout and tons of 1 to 3 pound cats
my dads friend has a small pond with a bunch of 4 - 6 pound trout tons of sunfish and a estimated 30 ppound flat head catfish that just mills around
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:41 pm

I go to school at wsu, i am heading back this weekend and the weather forecast looks nice so i think im gonna go out on stitch, see if the bass are hitting and what not, sometime in the summer when im living at my dads place i would have no problem taking you out if you wanted to give it a try but this weekend i think im gonna teach my girlfriend how to fish so i think i'll be pretty busy with birds nests and what not. have you ever been out to the lake on machias right before debuque road? i was running on centenial and saw a wood sign that said something like "lake record 20 lb trout".... i think you have to pay and it might be fly fishing only.....

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:53 pm

im not sure what lake exactaly your talking about but i would be more than happy to wait till summer to fish that lake

BassinBomber
Admiral

Post by BassinBomber » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:31 pm

Hit my Lil Private Lake for some LMB but none wanted 2 play,..only seen smaller ones again maybe 10"-12",..threw everything at the Bass but nothing,..seen allot of holdover RBT cruising and sure enough a HUGE one wanted my ChatterBait of all things,..pulled it on the dock,..pictured then released,..I'd guess close to 5+ lbs,..put up a nice fight on my GL2,..when it first hit I really thought it was a LMB and a nice one at that,..then it jumped and my heart sunk,..HaHa! Even though I didn't catch a LMB it was nice 2 feel a tug on the end of my pole!

BB
Attachments
Property_Lake_Umek_002-w400-h400.jpg
Property_Lake_Umek_002-w400-h400.jpg (192.99 KiB) Viewed 14856 times
"Passion-4-Bassin"

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:48 pm

thats a nice trout, i would take that any day