Crawfish-Bait.

Our hardshelled friends found here.
Derrick-k
Commander

Crawfish-Bait.

Post by Derrick-k » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:20 pm

Do you think the crawdad's you get at Joe's are any good, I just bought some and I am going to try them out tommorow. The lake I will fish hold's LM bass cutthroat and some big rainbows, are there certain species that are more species that are suceptible to a nice juicy crawdad tail. I will be fishing them underneath a clear bobber on a #6 Gammi hook with 3 flt of leader. Do you think I should just use crawlers?

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

RE:Crawfish-Bait.

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:19 pm

I know Joe's sells sandshrimp...

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:15 pm

The crawfish will be good for the Largemouth- they love 'em. I haved tried using them up here yet. Tell us how they work out for you.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:55 am

I don't think a frozen tail will work much good for bass or trout. I'd stick to nightcrawlers for the best luck...You can use whole crawdads for Largemouth, but actually I think that's illegal in washington???
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:28 am

Sam Kafelafish wrote:I don't think a frozen tail will work much good for bass or trout. I'd stick to nightcrawlers for the best luck...You can use whole crawdads for Largemouth, but actually I think that's illegal in washington???
It is illegal to use live fish for gamefish. I don't think a warden would classify a crawdad as a "fish". Be careful though, if you are catching your own crawdads to use for bait or to eat--there is a minimum size requirement for them.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:05 am

I've heard of guys throwing out traps to get the crawdads, preferably softshelled for bass fishing...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

Joe Heater
Warrant Officer

Post by Joe Heater » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:50 am

I have fished Banks Lake all year and a ton of Walleyes that we have caught have had Crawdads in their system. Where exactly are you buying the crawdads because I would use them over there and probably clean up. Crawlers seem be doing that anyway, but always fun fishing with something new.

Joe
I have never met a fish yet that respected a big purchase. You can own a $100 boat or you can own a $30,000 boat. You might be more comfortable, but don't expect any fish to care about your investment.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:13 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:
Sam Kafelafish wrote:I don't think a frozen tail will work much good for bass or trout. I'd stick to nightcrawlers for the best luck...You can use whole crawdads for Largemouth, but actually I think that's illegal in washington???
It is illegal to use live fish for gamefish. I don't think a warden would classify a crawdad as a "fish". Be careful though, if you are catching your own crawdads to use for bait or to eat--there is a minimum size requirement for them.
My advice is that everyone check out the rules and regulations themselves, and fast.

For the record, live Crawdads work well for trout (larger ones at least) and for Bass. Dead Craws would work for Catfish, may a tail would work for trout, but you would need to keep it moving like it was alive if you wanted to catch a Bass with it.

Crawdads are legal in Washington, live or dead, and I am aware of no size minimums.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:15 pm

I don't think you should fish them under a bobber. Make it look natural, let it drift bottom.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:29 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:
Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:
My advice is that everyone check out the rules and regulations themselves, and fast.

For the record, live Crawdads work well for trout (larger ones at least) and for Bass. Dead Craws would work for Catfish, may a tail would work for trout, but you would need to keep it moving like it was alive if you wanted to catch a Bass with it.

Crawdads are legal in Washington, live or dead, and I am aware of no size minimums.
see page 132 for the minimum size requirements. also, the crawdad season closes end of October