summer sausage

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
crappiemaster
Lieutenant

summer sausage

Post by crappiemaster » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:00 pm

I went to a Christmas dinner and one of the appetizers was this delicious summer sausage. I asked where they bought it and was suprised to hear that she had made it herself. Does anyone make their own? She told me gound beef, garlic salt, some TenderQuick,onion salt and course pepper, I will get the measurements and if there are other ingredients and post them. But I was wondering if any WL people made it.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: summer sausage

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:19 am

Not yet. Im hoping to in the Fall 2012 with some wild game.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:53 am

Haven't done it either, but it is also on my list of things to do. Have had the game processor make some summer sausage out of some my elk the last two seasons and we love it. I researched how to make it on-line and thought I needed too many specialized additives and equipment to attempt it for the time being. Am interested in seeing the recipe if you can get it. :cheers:

gdmoesch
Angler

Post by gdmoesch » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:49 pm

Ingredients
1 pound of ground beef
1 1/2 level teaspoons Morton® Tender Quick® mix or Morton® Sugar Cure® (Plain) mix
1 teaspoon Morton® Table Salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Few drops liquid smoke, if desired
Directions
Combine all ingredients mixing until thoroughly blended. Divide in half. Shape
each half into slender rolls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap in plastic or
foil. Refrigerate overnight. Unwrap.
Bake on broiler pan at 325 degrees F
until a meat thermometer inserted in the center of a roll reads 160 degrees F,
50 to 60 minutes. Store wrapped in refrigerator. Use within 3 to 5 days or
freeze for later use.

Spicy Beef Salami: Substitute 1 1/2 teaspoons Morton® Sausage and Meat Loaf
seasoning mix for 1 teaspoon Morton® Table Salt.

adrenilinejunky388
Angler

Post by adrenilinejunky388 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:58 pm

I just reacently got in to making my own summer sausage and have found that its realy fun to play with recipies to see how you can change flavor around. I use a simular recipie to the one listed above but instead of water to disolve the powder ingredients I use pear or pineapple juice. It gives the sausage a sweet flavor ate the begining that i realy like. I also like a little spicier then some people so I add jalapenos to mine also. I also have been using elk or deer hamburger and each has its own flavor that changes the end result also. Like I said i realy enjoy playing with the recipies. Hope this gives you some ideas to try. Good Luck.
Work as hard as you can so you can play even harder!!!!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Straight beef summer sausage is good but better the good is to mix the meats a lil. I prefer ground pork mixed into the ground beef. Pork enhances the juices better IMO. Pork and veal,beef and veal. I find a just beef sausage is good but a tad borering. Again this is just my opinion. Ive made fish sausage before using Salmon, Black cod and ling or halibut.You wont have a monotenous texture.

dave g
Warrant Officer

Post by dave g » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:30 pm

a few years ago i bought a sausage 'kit' at walmart made by smokehouse products. they're the same folks that make the big chief (etc) electric smokers. it comes with a stuffing tube and plunger, 12 or 18 'skins', and seasoning for a few different types of sausage ( summer, polish, beef). everything you need except the beef and pork. yes, summer sausage needs the pork in it to get the flavor and texture associated with that kind of sausage. you can however change it up and make it how you like. it also comes with a recipe book and instructions. you can also buy just the casings (skins) there if you can find them. or you can always order online at smokehouseproducts.com. i gotta admit you can make some real tasty sausage, but it takes along time in the electric smoker...

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:09 pm

My grandmother from old school Russia /Poland would stuff cow intestines with potatoes carrots onions and spices. Then cook it in a big potroast. Wow was that good. You can look it up. Its called Kishke. I bought a similar sausage kit from GI Joes some time ago. Its a blast and remember to think "outside the box" Just remember to be very clean and sanitize.

dave g
Warrant Officer

Post by dave g » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:56 am

dang. how do you use the that url, link thing anyway, lol...

Big D

Post by Big D » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:59 am

dave g wrote:dang. how do you use the that url, link thing anyway, lol...
Here ya go...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kishka_(food)

dave g
Warrant Officer

Post by dave g » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:31 pm

thanks alot big d...i think, lol...

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:32 am

When buying premaid spices remember to read the ingredients. I make sure the ingredients are natural and not 70 %chemicals for preserving flavor and freshness. Things like BHA.BHT,MSG. If I cant pronounce it I try not to eat it. the two most important is salt and pepper. If MSG is in the top 3 ingredients Id look for other spice combos.