Regulation Clarification

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
lskiles
Commander

Regulation Clarification

Post by lskiles » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:06 am

I read the article by Mike Carey about reading the regulations and I do. Perhaps I do not understand the whole scenario with catch and release. I only release small trout because I like to eat them (far away look…yummy sounds…rubbing tummy) and it supplements my food budget.

I have read many times about trout fisherman on this site catching more fish than they ought to…or maybe I do not understand.

Here is a quote from one of the members of this site:

“i ened the trip c & r ing 13 12-14 inch rainbows in the matter of 2 hrs”

Here is a quote from the WDFW rules pamphlet:

TROUT:
BROWN TROUT CUTTHROAT TROUT
RAINBOW TROUT LAKE TROUT
GOLDEN TROUT KOKANEE
TIGER TROUT LANDLOCKED
GRAYLING ATLANTIC,
CHINOOK,
AND COHO SALMON

In rivers, streams, and beaver ponds: Min. size 8". Daily limit 2. When fishing with bait, all TROUT (except STEELHEAD) equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit whether kept or released.

In lakes, ponds, and reservoirs: No min. size. Daily limit 5. When fishing with bait, all TROUT (except STEELHEAD) equal to or greater than the minimum size are counted as part of the daily limit whether kept or released

I have been guilty in the past, unknowingly, of breaking this rule…I think?!

When they say "with bait" this does not exclude lures does it? I would not think so.

After I catch five, released or not, do I have to go home or target bass? I think I do…what is your take on this?
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gringo Pescador

RE:Regulation Clarification

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:16 pm

It has always been my understanding that "bait" was worms, PB, etc. and that lures, spinners, flys, etc were not considered such. But I went to the regs book and here is what I found....

Under statewide freshater rules it states:
"Where use of bait is prohibited, or where lures or flies are used voluntarily, game fish may be caught and released until the daily limit is retained. If any fish has swallowed the hook or is hooked in the gill, eye, or tongue it should be kept if legal to do so,"

The definition of "bait" is:
Anything that attracts fi sh or shellfish by scent and/or flavor. This includes any device made of feathers, hair, fi ber, wood, metal, glass, cork, leather, rubber, or plastic, which uses scent and/or fl avoring to attract fish or
wildlife.

The definition of a "lure" is:
"A manufactured article, complete with hooks, constructed of feathers, hair, fiber, wood, metal, glass, cork, leather, rubber, or plastic, which does not use scent and/or flavoring to attract fish."

So, from this I believe that if you are using spinners and such and NOT USING SCENT - you are good to catch as many as you want, until you retain the daily limit - and if you catch any that are hooked to bad to survive, they must be retained.

Of course as always, this is only my interperatation - I reserve the right to be completely off base and welcome other to correct me if needed!
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:26 pm

I agree with Gringo.
•If your lure isn't scented/flavored (or otherwise yummified), then you can C&R until you retain a limit.
•If you are using something that is scented/flavored then all catches count towards your limit.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:35 pm

them some strange regs.

out here we have the likes of :

barbless
artifitial, lures etc, not flys.
bait.
Flys.
single hook.

sometimes its like Barbless ONLY, or Barbless FLYS only.
nothing about scented. but barbless reg's are very strick out here, and single hooks.

also about limits stuff it depends on the body of water/time of year.

we can C&R as many as we like, no limit, if its done properly.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:59 pm

beresford13861 wrote:
sometimes its like Barbless ONLY, or Barbless FLYS only.
nothing about scented. but barbless reg's are very strick out here, and single hooks.
It's worth it to have these regs. No bait, no barbs, single hook regulations make some of the best producing lakes around. Especially those that don't allow the traditional 5 fish any size limit...

Glad my favorite lake is that way cause I can always count on Cnr'ing dozens of 16 inch trout..
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:17 pm

Here is my interpertation of what I read as far as the lakes go.Everyone knows trying to interprate what fish and wildlife says is can be very diffucult sometimes.I think it all comes down to wether you use scented bait/attractor or not here is why I think this I got this out of the regs on page 24 from there website[quoteBAIT
Anything that attracts fi sh or shellfi sh by
scent and/or fl avor. This includes any device
made of feathers, hair, fi ber, wood, metal,
glass, cork, leather, rubber, or plastic, which
uses scent and/or fl avoring to attract fi sh or
wildlife.] [/quote]So as I understand it if you use a fly or lures with no scent and this isn't hurt where it wouldn't live you can catch and release all day wrong.But with alot things in life I could be wrong.But this is how I understand it after I read it.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

http://s295.photobucket.com/albums/mm15 ... %20Season/

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:44 pm

shawn wrote:Here is my interpertation of what I read as far as the lakes go.
Thanks, Shawn. I appreciate your input. I guess as soon as I catch my limit of trout I have to go home or use lures. I have never had much luck with lures. I did catch my first fish on a moving lure out at Lacamas Saturday the 13th. I submitted a report: http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportCo ... 28&lid=171
It was a lot of fun. I think I will try to catch more fish this way maybe using a rooster tail, etc.
I also have a bunch of plastics I have not tried very much.

I did not want to sound rude...I appreciate the input of all the rest of you who took time to answer also.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kokonuts
Warrant Officer

Post by Kokonuts » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:11 am

TO SAM K>>>> SAY WHAT!!! You C&R dozens of 16" trout at you favorite lake???

PLEASE PLEASE just a little hint, What, Where, When, I promise I wont tell anyone!!!!

I didnt catch dozens of trout all year!! Help an ole guy out! :cheers:
Where ever I go........There I am!

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:14 am

Kokonuts wrote:TO SAM K>>>> SAY WHAT!!! You C&R dozens of 16" trout at you favorite lake???

PLEASE PLEASE just a little hint, What, Where, When, I promise I wont tell anyone!!!!

you should hit up the eastern sierras in Northern cali, i catch 60 a day!

Kokonuts
Warrant Officer

Post by Kokonuts » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:54 pm

Beresford,

I moved form Riverside about 20 years ago!

I have a picture of my Dad in 1951 at Convict Lake in early May.
Hes standing next to his Ford pickup at the front tire with a stringer in each hand & his partner is standing at the rear tire
holding the other end of the stringers. Never did try to count the # of fish though.

I hope the fires arent too close to you!

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:37 pm

lskiles wrote:
Thanks, Shawn. I appreciate your input. I guess as soon as I catch my limit of trout I have to go home or use lures. I have never had much luck with lures. I did catch my first fish on a moving lure out at Lacamas Saturday the 13th. I submitted a report: http://www.washingtonlakes.com/ReportCo ... 28&lid=171
It was a lot of fun. I think I will try to catch more fish this way maybe using a rooster tail, etc.

I did not want to sound rude...I appreciate the input of all the rest of you who took time to answer also.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."Edmund Burke

shawn
Commander

Post by shawn » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:43 pm

shawn wrote:
lskiles wrote:

Don't worry about you didn't sound rude to me.These rules and regs are very confusing.Glad to be of help.It's not a fish until it's in the boat.Irish Proverb

beresford13861
Warrant Officer

Post by beresford13861 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:58 pm

Kokonuts wrote:Beresford,

I moved form Riverside about 20 years ago!

I have a picture of my Dad in 1951 at Convict Lake in early May.
Hes standing next to his Ford pickup at the front tire with a stringer in each hand & his partner is standing at the rear tire
holding the other end of the stringers. Never did try to count the # of fish though.

I hope the fires arent too close to you!
theres alot of fish up there!!! thats for sure.

anyways the fires are everywhere, but nothing near my house.
thanks for the concern!

Mark.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:30 pm

Kokonuts wrote:TO SAM K>>>> SAY WHAT!!! You C&R dozens of 16" trout at you favorite lake???

It's a bit far away for you coming from Portland... Your looking at 4.5 hours of driving...

Best day was 52 trout in 4 hours of fishing. Most of the time spent fighting fish. avg. fish 16 inches though...

Little hint for you: Put and take lakes provide opportunities for trout fishing, but if you do some digging around in the reg books, stocking plants, and are willing to fish selective gear lakes, your going to find much better fishing for trout then the standard stocker lakes...

Kokonuts
Warrant Officer

Post by Kokonuts » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:03 pm

#-o OK Sam, That is a little hint, but Ive got the map out & will be looking at the regs this weekend!

I am going up to my place at Lake Merwin Campers Hideaway Fri. morning so I plan on fishing there for Trout.

Lets see what else, barbless hooks, 4 1/2 hours driving, & you live Whidbey Island. That still leaves several lakes.

Guess I need more research or another little hint!!! :-"

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:37 pm

If you are not sure what the regs mean or what is legal and you don't want to take a chance on a game ticket, just call the local field office for clarification. In Oregon, I just call the OSP sergeant who works my area and ask. In Washington, call the enforcement division.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:59 pm

Nope I live on mainland just east of Seattle...

Kokonuts
Warrant Officer

Post by Kokonuts » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:43 am

Sam..... No bait , no barbs, single hooks, just east of Seattle......Gotta get my copy of the regs. this weekend !!!

Am I getting closer?

dilbert
Captain

Post by dilbert » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:27 am

Kokonuts wrote:Gotta get my copy of the regs. this weekend !!!
The regs are available online
"I got my swim trunks, And my flippie-floppies
I'm flipping Jigs, you at Kinko's straight flipping copies"

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:37 pm

A lot of people forget (or don't know) that kokanee are classified as "trout" in WA state. So, the koke fishermen often post on the bulletin boards about catching and releasing dozens of them, until they retain their limit. Usually, they are using some sort of lure with a piece of corn or covered in some scent. It's all "bait" under the rules, and so legally, they should stop fishing for the kokes after they've caught (whether kept or released) their first 5 kokes (in lakes where the limit is 5 for trout/kokes).