Why Coho is Not Biting?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
huma
Petty Officer

Why Coho is Not Biting?

Post by huma » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Man, what am I doing wrong? My first year fishing silvers and it's been terrible. No hookup in the past 2 weeks at the lower Duwamish. People around me aren't hooking either. I've tried using jigs in various color combo's, but no luck. Tried vibrax without any luck as well. Not sure what I'm doing wrong as I see silvers rolling and jumping in droves in the early morning.

Last year with pink season, it was action non-stop. Any ideas or suggestions?

Gringo Pescador

Re: Why Coho is Not Biting?

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:08 pm

Coho aren't pinks. Pinks spoil people and make em impatient. If it were only you not hooking up, then you might have something to worry about, but if nobody is hooking up, then you know it is not just you - right?

Keep at it, maybe try floating eggs or drifting dick nites. Don't give up! [thumbup]
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:24 pm

As mentioned, try the dick nites. They are fast becoming the goto lure when fish are finicky and don't forget the scent.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:43 pm

why not bite? cuz Coho are jerks!! plain and simple, snobby rude jerks! turning there heads at everything.. [cursing]

losaturn
Warrant Officer

Post by losaturn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:09 pm

If everyone around you is chucking gear, use bait. If everyone around you is using bait, use hardware. Give them something new to look at.

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:22 pm

they bite for sure at duwi bait and hardware is all bout presentation. most people dont realise this is most important.you need da bait or lure 1 foot off bottom or close to bottom as you can. the ones on top jumping usually wont hit but the bottom ones will..they hit especially good milking egg..i used a 12' bobber stop at one hole in duwi and slayed them but it needed to be close to bottom or no fish..ive also caught them twitching jig with lite line close to bottom they will nail it but be perpared to loose gear.
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

seattlesteban
Petty Officer

Post by seattlesteban » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Last edited by seattlesteban on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:57 pm

They don't bite because these fish are bastards. But like they said, wee dick nites in 50/50 and frog do well when they're finicky. Those Duwamish silver are the bitiest that we've found yet, so be glad you're not on the Snoho or Stilli systems. Throwing roe or sandshrimp will be your most reliable technique, deep under a slip float right above the bottom. Fire Cure and Wizard Cure in the lava orange have been working for me. My other fall back is a marabou jig with a mini pink worm on it in purple/pink or orange or black. Run it under a float, let it drift and every once in a while give it a twitch. Pretty sure Aerojig has those pre-tied with the plastic worm on it. Put a bit of prawn on it for scent, and that will get some attention when all else fails. And do your rain dance every night! We need some substantial precipitation for the bite to really go bonkers.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:35 pm

ive been doing great in the skagit on eggs EARLY in the morning, if im not limited by 9am (which i have been every day) then its over, go early, and in this low water i would say use eggs, if thats not working, well... youd better start praying to the rain gods
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 pm

What tide are you fishing ? The bite dies once the tide starts coming up . I have been killing them on yarn and corky dark colors . I have caught a few floating eggs also.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:15 pm

do they stop biting or stop moving when tide changes
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:18 pm

that depend where you at .normally i do better low to about 3/4 up but it varies.ive tried my striper vertical jig technique in deep pool at duwi and killed them 1/3-1/2oz depend on current and depth castmaster and hopkins spoon fished close to bottom.i hit bottom and jig it off bottom staying close without snag is da ticket... takes a while to master but it can outfish egg sometimes.it really piss them off they normally hit on drop so get ready to cet da hook..ive not seen anyone use this tec in duwi b4...deeper pools work better for this method.
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:53 pm

fishenfreak wrote:do they stop biting or stop moving when tide changes
I'm not sure. A couple of weeks ago I was fishing a couple of hours before low tide and I had like 15 hook ups landed a couple of kings and one silver then tide started to slack and water started to come back up and then nothing at all. It was funny there were people on the walking bridge getting all excitied when I was drifting into the school. They just suddenly had no intrest. It could be my presentention because of lack of drift .

Bank drifter
Angler

Post by Bank drifter » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:52 am

Coho jump for one reason........they don't have a middle finger.....I too have been fishing hours on the Sky, tried wee dick nites, spinners, eggs, spoons....problem, low clear, warm water, not a lot of fresh fish in the river so they are not competing when your offering comes by, plain and simple it is dumb luck if you get one right in front of them and they hit it! My only real action has been with larger jigs, that I was twitching, black marabou, green head and had that on for 5 seconds only......we need rain to color the water a bit and I think the results will be different.....last year even the humpy fishing was slower in the low clear water........the fish I am seeing jumping in the lower Sky are not chromers either...

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Bank drifter wrote:Coho jump for one reason........they don't have a middle finger.....I too have been fishing hours on the Sky, tried wee dick nites, spinners, eggs, spoons....problem, low clear, warm water, not a lot of fresh fish in the river so they are not competing when your offering comes by, plain and simple it is dumb luck if you get one right in front of them and they hit it! My only real action has been with larger jigs, that I was twitching, black marabou, green head and had that on for 5 seconds only......we need rain to color the water a bit and I think the results will be different.....last year even the humpy fishing was slower in the low clear water........the fish I am seeing jumping in the lower Sky are not chromers either...
The sky is way to low to fish right now. I was talking about the duwamish.

donater
Warrant Officer

Post by donater » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:01 pm

do people drop down to really light gear when the waters this clear? i did that earlier this year when the steelhead bite started to turn off and it worked. i tried today using a super long six pound leader and size 4 hook floating eggs and think i got a higher bite rate with that but still didnt hook up (maybe bullheads/other bait stealers). i switched back to a 10 pound and a size 2/0 hook and the bite may have turned slower. this is my first year fishing for silvers so i dont know how line shy they are.

Gwendylyn
Petty Officer

Post by Gwendylyn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Bank drifter wrote:Coho jump for one reason........they don't have a middle finger.....
Amen.
The fish that got away, gains at least 2 lbs a day. It's science.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:47 pm

Gwendylyn wrote:
Bank drifter wrote:Coho jump for one reason........they don't have a middle finger.....
Amen.
double amen..

2x

chrome_chasin
Lieutenant

Post by chrome_chasin » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:52 pm

Gwendylyn wrote:
Amen.
If you look close enough you will see that they are waving at you as they stick their tongues out and cross their eyes at you. Typical neenerneener behavior [flapper]

Oh and Hiya hawtness

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:17 pm

their is one lure that will work without fail when the fish refuse everything else. its called a dupont spinner, aka dynamite. it'll work but you may blow yourself up using it.