Saltwater steelhead?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Derrick-k
Commander

Saltwater steelhead?

Post by Derrick-k » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:10 pm

Does anyone know any good beaches where I can saltwater fish for steelhead? Here is an article about saltwater steelheading. http://www.steelheader.net/steelhead/sa ... elhead.htm Are there any more methods?
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Saltwater steelhead?

Post by A9 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:32 pm

Check the Shorefishing on the Sound thread just below this one. I talked into some depth about it...

That method is pretty much the standard rig out there...Bluefoxes and Spoons would probably do the trick too...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

GJorgy
Warrant Officer

Post by GJorgy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:46 pm

The old stand by is Bush Point on Whidbey Island. They use the "Bush Point Specials" out there which are a large orange/red hootchie with a LARGE spin and glow ahead of it. Just make a good long cast and reel it back in slowly. They will often hit right at the shoreline so don't give up on your cast too soon.
George Patton:"Live for something rather than die for nothing."

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:36 pm

That's where I've fished plenty of times off the beach, and where I plan on going...

Make sure to stand a few feet off the shore, otherwise you'll spook the steelhead that run really shallow cause often times they are on the shoreline..

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:45 pm

GJorgy wrote:The old stand by is Bush Point on Whidbey Island. They use the "Bush Point Specials" out there which are a large orange/red hootchie with a LARGE spin and glow ahead of it. Just make a good long cast and reel it back in slowly. They will often hit right at the shoreline so don't give up on your cast too soon.
Hey, what about the other side of the sound? Any good shore points there? Also, what if I can get access to a boat? I happen to know someone with a boat in Kingston that has expressed interest in getting some steelhead.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:59 pm

They run so close to the shore you might be at a disadvantage when fishing from a boat...

Lots of these steelies run down around Whidbey up to the Snohomish and the Stilly too I believe so I'd think that some steelhead could be intercepted over there...

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:16 pm

What about like des moines redondo, or hoods canal?
I would like to intercept them before they get to the nets.

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:28 pm

in a way i understand the nets buti dont really like the way they impact the fishing in that area. i say let some people catch steelhead the way they should be caught. hook line and sinker. thats almost the only way you can enjoy their great fighting skills.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:33 pm

Fisherman_max wrote:in a way i understand the nets buti dont really like the way they impact the fishing in that area. i say let some people catch steelhead the way they should be caught. hook line and sinker. thats almost the only way you can enjoy their great fighting skills.
AHAHAHAH try telling the Indians that...

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:22 am

yea i know, they have their rights to the land's recources especially cuzz we ran them out without barely giving them a chance.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:17 pm

Derrick-k wrote:What about like des moines redondo, or hoods canal?
I would like to intercept them before they get to the nets.

If not the Des Miones or Redondoe area what would be the closest to those areas?

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:23 pm

After having fished for saltwater steelies, my conclusion is that it is a waste of time. YOu will roughly average about 1 fish for every 6 hours, if you are lucky. Most of the time you will get skunked for many trips. If you hook one, you will have a challenge bringing it to shore, since you are required to use barbless hooks.

Your odds of regularly hooking and landing a fish are much much better in the river.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:38 pm

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:After having fished for saltwater steelies, my conclusion is that it is a waste of time. YOu will roughly average about 1 fish for every 6 hours, if you are lucky. Most of the time you will get skunked for many trips. If you hook one, you will have a challenge bringing it to shore, since you are required to use barbless hooks.

Your odds of regularly hooking and landing a fish are much much better in the river.
A lot of rivers reported by the WDFW and by fishermen show a lot more then 6 hours per steelhead off the shore...

Barbless hooks aren't that much more difficult, certainly not a challenge, to bring fish to the shore. With the proper tension on the fish you should be able to land almost as many fish as you do with barbed hooks...

Derrick-k
Commander

Post by Derrick-k » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:57 pm

If I catch 1 fish per every 2 or 3 days in puget sound region that is, then that's good alot of the puget sound rivers are preaty much dead. Can I expect a catch mostly of hatcery fish?

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:18 pm

Earlier in the winter, yes it'll be mostly hatchery...Later in the winter it'll be the nates rolling through..

GJorgy
Warrant Officer

Post by GJorgy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:14 am

I've heard that a few folks fish for them around the Picnic Point area near Edmonds too.

6 hours per fish isn't bad if you compare it to some other species like musky. They're definately not like humpies where you get 6 FISH per hour.
George Patton:"Live for something rather than die for nothing."

Drewp
Commander

Post by Drewp » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:09 pm

There is a reason they are often referred to as, "the fish of a thousand casts."

It just wouldn't be as much fun if they were easy to catch :^o
"My fingers smell fishy and I like it."

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:14 pm

All I can say is, when that cold wind is blowing in your face from the Straight of Juan de Fuca, the wind chill factor gets really low (frozen face, ears, nose). Casting repeatedly into the surf gets old real fast. It's nice to have a challenge when fishing, but some things are not worth doing for 6+ hours straight.

Fishing the salt was how I started fishing for steelhead, and then I realized that it was easier and more successful and more fun to fish a river. The concentration of fish is higher, you know where the fish will be lurking, the weather is usually better (no ocean breeze), and you have a much more reasonable chance to catch a fish. As a result, I haven't fished for saltwater steel in about 7 years.

When the river fishing is hot, the saltwater steely fishing is barely OK a week or two beforehand.

When the river fishing is cold, the saltwater steely fishing is horrible.

Have fun if you do go. Catching a saltwater steely is fun and their table quality is much better than in the river.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:07 am

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:
When the river fishing is hot, the saltwater steely fishing is barely OK a week or two beforehand.

When the river fishing is cold, the saltwater steely fishing is horrible.

Have fun if you do go. Catching a saltwater steely is fun and their table quality is much better than in the river.
I find that hard to believe. They come in a continuous stream throughout the winter, whereas other salmon such as pinks will push and there will be a month (maybe 2) gap of when the fishing starts to heat up to when it dies...Winter hatchery steelhead are in from November through March and then the nates follow up after that...

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:59 pm

also you can still catch summer steely's in some rivers were it is to shallow to make it back to the ocean so they kinda chill in deeper pools until they can get through. and soon us people who fish the lewis will start getting some new fresh winter steely's in.

Max's Video Production

sending videos soon.