wallace river

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

wallace river

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Mon May 26, 2014 7:57 pm

I was looking at the regulations for the wallace river and as far as im concerned, it opens the first saturday in june for trout. So steehead count as trout but is there summer runs in the wallace? Can you fish it? And has anyone fished it in the summer for dollies? Any info would help cause ive been wondering about this for a while, thanks

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Re: wallace river

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue May 27, 2014 2:22 am

Last I heard, dollies are closed, verboten, statewide.... year round...
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Tue May 27, 2014 6:19 am

Its open for dollies up to Reece rd. Have seen a few come out of there, but have never targeted them. Caught nice cutties at the mouth though on dick nites

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:16 am

I have caught nice cuts in there as well. I floated eggs looking for steelhead and caught 16" cuts under the railroad bridge.

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Tue May 27, 2014 9:15 am

But is there summer run steelies in there?

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Tue May 27, 2014 9:43 am

No. They don't plant sum runs in there.

Bobberdownchromer
Warrant Officer

Post by Bobberdownchromer » Tue May 27, 2014 9:47 am

Ok, thanks for all the info

mizm05
Commander

Post by mizm05 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:09 am

Last time I was at the Wallace (last year), there were guys down there targeting dollies...good size fish too. Probably in the 2-3 lb range. There was a guy up on the railroad bridge looking down into the water and said he saw a bunch just holding under the bridge area...said they were all approximately 20 inches or better. Guys were throwing pinched chunks of night crawler with just a slight bit of split shot.

FishingThePacNW
Commander

Post by FishingThePacNW » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:46 pm

I caught my personal best dolly in there, 6.2lbs and I have heard of summer runs being caught there

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:38 pm

rcthepirate wrote:No. They don't plant sum runs in there.

I beg to differ. Go check out the adult holding pond at the Wallace hatchery good sir.

chongo469
Commander

Post by chongo469 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:03 pm

Though the Wallace holding ponds may have fish in them, check the fins.... Never gotten a fish in the summer out of there without an extra fin..... Not into Catch and Release of such a rare species.... Should be a ton of Kings in there though I am sure, just not open to fish for them either....
Matt wrote:

I beg to differ. Go check out the adult holding pond at the Wallace hatchery good sir.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:49 pm

They dont release summer runs in the wallace. They release coho, chinook and winter runs, atleast they used to. Does anybody know if they are still releasing from the Wallace? Or is it strictly from Reiter now?

rcthepirate
Lieutenant

Post by rcthepirate » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:28 am

Matt wrote:

I beg to differ further. Go check the WDFW smolt planting report. There were exactly 0 summer runs planted in the Wallace in 2011 and 2012. I was up at the hatchery last week. I saw steelhead in the trap. They were all pretty dark, could have easily been late winter fish or summer fish that were intended to go back to Reiter and wandered.

Steelheader_1977
Angler

Post by Steelheader_1977 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:15 pm

so speaking of the wallace river went down to the parking area at the end of reece road to head down to the mouth of the wallace. some local guy comes out and says that the Federal marshall has been visiting the area and writing tickets and arresting people for trespassing on BNSF land, and crossing the rail road tracks. Anyone know anything about this.

spoonman
Captain

Post by spoonman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:06 pm

Steelheader_1977 wrote:so speaking of the wallace river went down to the parking area at the end of reece road to head down to the mouth of the wallace. some local guy comes out and says that the Federal marshall has been visiting the area and writing tickets and arresting people for trespassing on BNSF land, and crossing the rail road tracks. Anyone know anything about this.
There are no trespassing signs posted. But ive never heard of anyone getting hastled, let alone by a US marshal, its not federal land, its private property. I think it was some dude trying to scare you off

redlodge
Angler

Post by redlodge » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:05 pm

The BNSF have had railroad cops all over the river since it opened. I guess they handed out a bunch of tickets at the backside of the Wallace along Reese road and where the guys cross the tracks to go into the highway side of reiter. If they want to be ornery they can ticket you for crossing the tracks both ways. I heard they went down to the river and started witing tickets. I have been trying to find out where they are patroling

DannyL
Captain

Post by DannyL » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:54 am

If they don't see you cross the tracks they cant ticket you.
Fishing isn't a hobby, It isn't for fun. Fishing is life.

bkawafishin
Petty Officer

Post by bkawafishin » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:00 am

Redlodge, have been witnessing this first hand? Not calling you out or anything, but I've been down there a handful of times last week (highway side of Reiter) and have not seen anything like this....

I have always been there at first light until around 10 or 11 at the latest....is there a time they are typically showing up to start their ticket parade? I would hate to spend the rest of the season not being able to fish the highway side of Reiter from fear of having Marshals showing up to cite me at the river or on my way back up to my rig......
redlodge wrote:The BNSF have had railroad cops all over the river since it opened. I guess they handed out a bunch of tickets at the backside of the Wallace along Reese road and where the guys cross the tracks to go into the highway side of reiter. If they want to be ornery they can ticket you for crossing the tracks both ways. I heard they went down to the river and started witing tickets. I have been trying to find out where they are patroling

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:56 am

You could always walk down the street and cross where the road goes across and pick up the trail at the cul-de-sac. Not sure how the folks that live down there would feel but......
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

redlodge
Angler

Post by redlodge » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:15 pm

Had to go to Monroe and pickup some parts for home. Spent a couple of hours going to all the spots I know where there could be a conflict with BNSF. Walked down to highway side of Reiter and talked to people who have been there quite a bit and no one has had a problem. Went down to Reese road to the parking area at the sharp corner and there is a new sign by the tracks. I think what happened with so many people walking the tracks down to the mouth of the Wallace, they
got pissed. I fished the Sky since 1983 and haven't seen this from them ever. I wish other people would chime in on this so
we can figure out where they have a problem and fish accordingly. You have to remember that if you cross the tracks except for a crossing you are trespassing and they can give you a ticket. I know some of the fly guys have run into them
but they do not say where.