Summer visit to WA?

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
mooseboy
Angler

Summer visit to WA?

Post by mooseboy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:46 am

My wife and I are planning to retire to the Spokane area in the next couple of years. We are going to spend a couple of weeks fishing the area this summer. We have a 19 ft Fishrite and 4 scotty elec downriggers...we fish for trout, koke, and salmon a lot...on a good year 50 times. We are regulars at Flaming Gorge where we get up to 4 lb kokes. So we are fairly experienced fisher people. (I know...that's enuff bragging!)

My questions are:
1.If we are going to stay with in 100-150 miles from Sopane which lakes or rivers would you guys suggest we hit...we plan on camping some and motels some.

2. Would we do better the middle of June or the middle of July for a couple of weeks of trailer boat fishing?

We really appreciate any and all info.

By the way we are from the Albuquerque NM area even though we currently reside in CA!!

See you out there
Mooseboy

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Summer visit to WA?

Post by Larry3215 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:57 pm

You will have an abundance of top lakes to choose from in eastern Wa and western Oregon as well as the Columbia and Snake rivers.

If you look at the home page, most of the top rated lakes are in eastern Wa.

Just a few of my favorites are - in no particular order - Banks, Moses, Potholes, Roosevelt, Rufus Woods, Chelan, Roses. My preferred fishing is for bass, walleye, burbot, sturgeon, trout and salmon in that order. Big salmon are fun but Im not a fan of the taste. Not fond of kokes at all :)

troutfinatic
Petty Officer

Post by troutfinatic » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:55 am

I have always had better fishing in June over July.
Size and qty.
Talking about Trout only.
Plus in July it is hot.

Froggie
Petty Officer

Post by Froggie » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:05 pm

OK, I am the wife. trying to book a suite motel for this trip But not sure if we should plan the trip for mid June or mid July. Sounds like the June dates may be better. We've gone to Flaming Gorge in June and July. Kokanee fishing differs there in those months as to the location of the fish. We R trying to get help here on which would be better.

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:37 pm

Loon is the closest fishery with Kokes in it and the limit is generous ( 10 fish)
Roosevelt will have a Wally fishery going on.
The Columbia should have the June run of Chinooks and Sockeye.
The Snake will have Small mouth and some good Channel cats during that time.

fishslayer80
Petty Officer

Post by fishslayer80 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:22 pm

June
I would stay in coulee city and fish Rufus woods for triploid trout.
Fish Roosevelt lake for rainbow and kokonee.
July
I would stay in brewster and fish for Sockeye
If its really hot I would go to curlew lake and stay at the state park and fish Curlew for trout.

mooseboy
Angler

Post by mooseboy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:17 pm

We;re gonna try to hit 3 or 4 lakes in 2 weeks. We just love to fish...we'll chase just about anything. right now we're chasing stripers in the Delta and will be hunting kokes next week. What about sturgeon...other board ...huh?

mooseboy
Angler

Post by mooseboy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:22 pm

Actually I think I said the plans wrong...We hope to get a home base in Spokane for a week and do any day trips to CDA, etc and tent it for a couple of nights each at 2 or 3 other lakes for another week or so if we can. We'll probably hit Chelan either on the way there or going home?
See you out there
Mooseboy

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:48 pm

There are sturgeon in various places on the snake (I have never tried for them there though) and the lower portions of the Columbia.

Froggie
Petty Officer

Post by Froggie » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:53 am

We've decided to start the trip by spending a few days at a motel in Manson or Chelan and fish Chelan for kokanee, trout, and ?. Looking to put the boat in a slip, so we don't have to launch every day.

mooseboy
Angler

Post by mooseboy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:14 pm

Official:
We'll be in Manson June 8-11 fishing Chelan...Any tips appreciated.
We're in Spokane Valley June 12-19 so we can fish Roosevelt, maybe Loon, CDR, etc.
On the way home ..like June 20-21 or so we are hoping to find a stretch of the Columbia worth hitting...WHEW!

We are moving to the Spokane area in a couple of years so we would love to meet some other fisher folk. We are usually on 69 on our vhf unless local tradition calls for something else. If you are around any of these days please feel free to call us on the radio or internet. I usually go by Tortuga but that was taken on this site...I might miss a call for Mooseboy...but Judy always answers to Froggie.
See you out there
Mooseboy and Froggie