WDFW Fishing with disabilities ADA rep.

Questions about fishing access for those with disabilities or other issues related to handicap access? Discuss them here.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

WDFW Fishing with disabilities ADA rep.

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:31 am

Mike I could not find your original thread about that 6 mile stretch of the Hoh river, to attach this comment to.

I just wanted to say that I think you did a really good job of pointing out a few important things.
( In an article that you wrote recently)
Most importantly though you brought it all home by letting people know that there is an avenue for an angler with a disability to apply for the special use permit which can be requested for what sounds like any situation. The angler just needs to write a request explaining their desire and need. On the surface it would seem like a dead end, and that people writing the rules have not looked at the entire population. But we now can see there is a way to request access.

My daughter fishes with the disabled person's license. I have spoken and dealt with the WDFW ADA rep, and found this person to be VERY supportive.
Thanks for shining a light on this point. =D> =D> =D>

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: WDFW Fishing with disabilities ADA rep.

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:59 am

Thanks Quad. I learned a lot in the researching of the issue. I also learned that WDFW needs to do a better job in the printed regs of providing the information. That said, I was heartened to see that WDFW does have a mechanism in place for persons with disabilities.
I'm glad your daughter has been able to use this benefit and that the ADA person is a good advocate for her.
Cheers. :)

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:30 pm

I'm reading this especially since I tried fishing in the Skykomish up past Gold Bar. At Reiter there are no HNDCP parking anywhere. The whole hatchery area is open. I drove in there looking for a Hndcp parking and was asked to leave.It burned me up because I could not fish anywhere. It was a long drive for nothing. I think the state should make access to Hndp people better.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:06 pm

racfish wrote:I'm reading this especially since I tried fishing in the Skykomish up past Gold Bar. At Reiter there are no HNDCP parking anywhere. The whole hatchery area is open. I drove in there looking for a Hndcp parking and was asked to leave.It burned me up because I could not fish anywhere. It was a long drive for nothing. I think the state should make access to Hndp people better.
I would bet they're breaking at least one federal statute, since the ADA is federal..........
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!