Fishing etiquette question? Passing trollers/drifters

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Malamakai
Angler

Fishing etiquette question? Passing trollers/drifters

Post by Malamakai » Sun May 01, 2016 8:12 pm

What are your thoughts on how close to pass other boats when running at high speed and others are trolling or drifting?

I was out on Posession Bar today for Lings, and several boats came within 10-15 yards of our boat going 25 knots, when there was no other boat for 200 yards or in one case a 1/2 mile. One guy looked as if he diverted closer to us just to get a look at how we were fishing. Always throws a big wake and makes everone hang on. Luckily no kids on the boat today, and I have high sides. Hate to be those guys we saw in the Jon Boat out at Possession.

I grew up in Hawaii and it is common courtesy to give as much room as you can when passing, especially when a boat is actively fishing. At least split the difference between two boats, when It's crowded...I'll even motor out a little, away from the crowd before I push is up on plane. After 25 years of fishing the Northwest, it still irks me to have someone whiz by within fly casting range.

I've learned that forum members here are the typically the friendly, courteous type...but am I the only one annoyed by close drive bye boaters? Do I need to just get used to how some people boat in the Northwest? (and stop yelling at those who can't hear me over the roar of their engine anyway)

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Fishing etiquette question? Passing trollers/drifters

Post by BentRod » Sun May 01, 2016 9:14 pm

No, you're not alone in your way of thinking. Seems like there are a lot of idiot boaters (and non-boaters) out there. I often wonder what some people are thinking..or if they even are. Imagine it's mostly caused by lack of proper education as a child. Some people's kids!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon May 02, 2016 12:10 am

The law is 100 feet when going faster than 5 to 8 miles per hour and passing/going past another boat regardless of their speed. Yes 200 feet is much better. Anybody who gets 45 feet away while at speed and throwing a wake is just stupid and rude. And the more wake a boat makes, the further away they show be, regardless of the law.
Tom.

Interests: living

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon May 02, 2016 5:46 am

At 8 mph my boat throws a pretty big wake when we are fully loaded and it doesnt go down by much after traveling 100 feet. I think a great many boaters need to watch that better - including me.

I have been guilty of rocking other guys at times when I wasnt paying attention or got in a hurry in a crowded situation. Not as bad as most, but I could have done better if I took a little more time or kept my eyes outside the boat instead of on the electronics or arguing with my bro's.

A few weeks ago I rocked some guys in a skiff on a local lake doing just that - running at about 10-12 mph maybe 200 feet from them because I got in a hurry and was distracted messing with the new sonar. They hollered at me and I felt like one of the worms we were using for bait that day.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Mon May 02, 2016 8:51 am

I'm not sure what boat etiquette/rules are in effect. But I do know that in lakes, it is "standard" practice to have someone row/motor their boat right where you are fishing from shore (when there are acres of empty lake available), or have someone play fetch with their dog in the water where you are fishing. [thumbdn]

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:44 am

I usually give 100 yards or more. Coming close to a boat trolling or anchored seems to have become more common. No point to it, you're not going to get where you are going any faster. Sometimes, when its really crowded, like the Shipwreck in the Fall, by necessity you have to get close but at least I slow down. Some of these guys its like a macho deal, as in "look at me and my cool boat".

For Reel
Petty Officer

Post by For Reel » Mon May 02, 2016 7:17 pm

I was there at Possession Bar early Sunday and it was a bit of a spectacle, even though I've seen it worse. I agree there are some either moronic or oblivious boaters on the water who don't heed enough distance between those drifting or trolling.

To those who fish from Jon Boats. I think it's fair to say that if you insist on fishing from your 14 foot duck hunting boat (like I used to do) you fish accepting that risk. So if or when you get your boat swamped hope you have the proper safety gear (life vest, hand held VHF ect).

I do try to use good etiquette.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:09 pm

On a more positive note - and you are free to disbelieve this if you want - I actually ran across some moderately courteous jet skiers a few weeks ago on Spencer Lake!

We had been fishing most of the day and mid afternoon some jet skies came around the corner while we were drift fishing. They swung wide of us almost as far as they could and proceeded on up to the other end of the lake to play.

I was absolutely amazed to see someone with manners and consideration for other boaters riding those devil machines!

So, there is some small hope for humanity..... :)

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Tue May 03, 2016 9:28 am

Funny how Common since is not very common. Always ask myself, self, would you want that done to you? and Self always helps me get the right answer. On a lake if I see a troller or stationary fisher I always take a very large track around and if I cant, I would slow down to under 10 as to not cause a wake.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue May 03, 2016 11:32 am

"Devil Machines" hahaha! Agree. [biggrin]

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue May 03, 2016 12:22 pm

Mike Carey wrote:"Devil Machines" hahaha! Agree. [biggrin]
AKA Lake Lice
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

rhodes19
Petty Officer

Post by rhodes19 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:17 am

I believe you are legally responsible for your wake. If you swamp somebodies boat you can be held responsible for all monetary costs. If some body should die, you could be looking at jail time.
Obviously I'm not a lawyer. Maybe One will pipe up?

local33stagehand
Angler

Post by local33stagehand » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:03 am

I have the same problem. I fish my kayak in area 13 and the local lakes and always encounter 1 inconsiderate boater who wants to get just outside of casting range throwing a good wake my way.