First tournament! Lake Chelan

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
NineFingerFury
Petty Officer

First tournament! Lake Chelan

Post by NineFingerFury » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:20 am

I'm going to Lake Chelan this weekend for my first tournament with Western Bass Club! I'll be fishing off the back of another member's boat Saturday and Sunday. Any tips for Chelan in August? I've never fished it and neither has the member I'll be boating with. Locations, bait types/colors, tactics, etc. I'm pumped! This is going to be a great weekend!
Retired USMC combat veteran, father of 2 amazing kids, and husband to a wonderful woman. Every day is a great day.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: First tournament! Lake Chelan

Post by Amx » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Mike made a Chelan video with Big Bass Dez and Tyler Walker in April of 2012. Watch to see if it helps.

http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ ... spx?id=144" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:58 pm

What little I know about Chelan, which isn't even enough to say I know a little about the lake. But from what I've heard and read Chelan is a shelf lake, find shelves and fish them. Out from spawning flats.

Jigs, Carolina Rigs, and drop shots over rocky areas, rattle traps over the rocks, bumping the rocks if you feel brave enough about losing a trap or 5. Deep say from 20 to 30 foot deep. Deeper as needed.

Find off shore suspended minnow schools. Jig a drop shot, Carolina Rig, or rattle trap thru the schools or under the schools. Swim a drop shot, Carolina Rig, and rattle traps under and past the schools. You'll be looking for Bass suspended under the schools, or beside the schools.

If you find a stream dumping into the lake, fish out from the mouth. Fish the edges of the current, and right in the middle of the current. I did that last week, but on a different lake. I caught good fish up in 15 foot of water, and out to 30 foot.
Tom.

NineFingerFury
Petty Officer

Post by NineFingerFury » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:44 pm

Thanks Tom!
Retired USMC combat veteran, father of 2 amazing kids, and husband to a wonderful woman. Every day is a great day.

NineFingerFury
Petty Officer

Post by NineFingerFury » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Update: didn't come close to placing, but I had a blast and learned a lot.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:11 pm

Ah, we are ALL learning. I've even learned something about Sammamish this year, and some learning about Sammamish last year. lol Now to learn something about the little lake so I can catch some big fish in it again. [laugh]
Tom.