Nooksack Salmon runs

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
branweeds
Warrant Officer

Re: Nooksack Salmon runs

Post by branweeds » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:04 pm

Went out today as well, but decided to try nugents corner and up a little bit! Tried all sorts of spinner and watched fish jump all around us but didnt get a single bite. I have never used Roe before, but I am guessing it is a better bet than spinners. Is Roe the same as getting some fireball eggs from a jar? How do you rig it up?

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:23 am

If you don't have any roe from fish you have caught, you need to find some good fresh looking eggs from the fridge at a local tackle shop. That can be tough - most of them carry Morgan's roe and when I last used it I was very disappointed. The stuff at Cabela's is slightly better - I forget the brand.

There are a few basic techniques for fishing with roe. You can try plunking using a pyramid weight, 3 way swivel or spreader, and Spin-n-glo with a chunk of roe in the bait loop on your hook. This used to be very popular on the Nooksack, but I haven't seen many plunkers in a long time.

You can also try drift fishing with just enough weight so it glides above the bottom or you feel it tick bottom every few feet. You need to use a corky or some other buoyant lure to float the bait up off of the bottom if you are fishing this way. Fix the corky just above the hook with a toothpick so it doesn't slide up your leader.

My choice would be float fishing. Depending on the water (depth and speed), choose an appropriate sized float and enough weight to make the float stand upright and so there is about an inch sticking up out of the water. That way the added weight of your roe won't sink the float completely. Use about an 18 inch leader, and try to adjust your float so that your bait is drifting a foot or so off of the bottom (this can be hard to gauge in cloudy water, lots of trial and error). Experiment with going shallower and deeper if you know you are drifting it over fish. You can try putting some yarn in the egg loop with the roe to add some color - I like orange or chartreuse.

This is how to tie an egg loop or bait loop on your hook. Image

spenny1823
Petty Officer

Post by spenny1823 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:46 am

Jakefish wrote:My choice would be float fishing. Depending on the water (depth and speed), choose an appropriate sized float and enough weight to make the float stand upright and so there is about an inch sticking up out of the water. That way the added weight of your roe won't sink the float completely. Use about an 18 inch leader, and try to adjust your float so that your bait is drifting a foot or so off of the bottom (this can be hard to gauge in cloudy water, lots of trial and error). Experiment with going shallower and deeper if you know you are drifting it over fish. You can try putting some yarn in the egg loop with the roe to add some color - I like orange or chartreuse.
Float fishing for myself has been the go-to out of those three methods. Especially this time of year before the first really big rains. Most of the places I fish are flowing at that slightly faster than walking pace you are looking for. Not that the other methods don't work I'm just am not the biggest fan of plunking because you really aren't doing a whole lot and I tend to get bored lol. Just make sure when you are drift fishing you aren't in a super snaggy area first. I know the last one is pretty obvious, but if you don't know a river that well starting out with one of those other two methods would be best. There will be a million different types of floats to chose from for float fishing and my favorites are the clear drift floats. They aren't super huge and the bright tops make them easy to see. Any of them will work though [thumbsup]

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:19 am

spenny1823 wrote: Float fishing for myself has been the go-to out of those three methods. Especially this time of year before the first really big rains. Most of the places I fish are flowing at that slightly faster than walking pace you are looking for. Not that the other methods don't work I'm just am not the biggest fan of plunking because you really aren't doing a whole lot and I tend to get bored lol. Just make sure when you are drift fishing you aren't in a super snaggy area first. I know the last one is pretty obvious, but if you don't know a river that well starting out with one of those other two methods would be best. There will be a million different types of floats to chose from for float fishing and my favorites are the clear drift floats. They aren't super huge and the bright tops make them easy to see. Any of them will work though [thumbsup]
Clear drifts are nice but expensive. There is no reason not to go with a decent foam wrap-around float if you are just getting started, especially if you are fishing an area with snags (you never know what's hiding under that murky Nooksack water). Just make sure you go with a dense foam float - not those cheap Danielson ones that shred as soon as you hook up. I really like the DNE foam floats, but they are a little more expensive (still cheaper than clear drift). Only time I whip out the clear floats is in really clear conditions. Dave's Sports in Lynden has the best selection of floats south of the border.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:41 pm

Jakefish wrote:If you don't have any roe from fish you have caught, you need to find some good fresh looking eggs from the fridge at a local tackle shop. That can be tough - most of them carry Morgan's roe and when I last used it I was very disappointed. The stuff at Cabela's is slightly better - I forget the brand.

There are a few basic techniques for fishing with roe. You can try plunking using a pyramid weight, 3 way swivel or spreader, and Spin-n-glo with a chunk of roe in the bait loop on your hook. This used to be very popular on the Nooksack, but I haven't seen many plunkers in a long time.

You can also try drift fishing with just enough weight so it glides above the bottom or you feel it tick bottom every few feet. You need to use a corky or some other buoyant lure to float the bait up off of the bottom if you are fishing this way. Fix the corky just above the hook with a toothpick so it doesn't slide up your leader.

My choice would be float fishing. Depending on the water (depth and speed), choose an appropriate sized float and enough weight to make the float stand upright and so there is about an inch sticking up out of the water. That way the added weight of your roe won't sink the float completely. Use about an 18 inch leader, and try to adjust your float so that your bait is drifting a foot or so off of the bottom (this can be hard to gauge in cloudy water, lots of trial and error). Experiment with going shallower and deeper if you know you are drifting it over fish. You can try putting some yarn in the egg loop with the roe to add some color - I like orange or chartreuse.

This is how to tie an egg loop or bait loop on your hook.

Jakefish,
That information is extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to add it all in there. I am going to get some Roe from Yeagers and cure it for fishing tomorrow. I will post back if I finally catch one!
Tight lines

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:09 pm

I'm on the nooksack DAILY.... Every morning everyday when open... However I've been hitting the Samish this past week.... Fish is slow, and sparse until we get some rains... If anyone is out and about, Im all for having a partner for a few hours--- 240-472-3065

Arthur.....

ydeardorff
Petty Officer

Post by ydeardorff » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:51 pm

dj2loud wrote:I'm on the nooksack DAILY.... Every morning everyday when open... However I've been hitting the Samish this past week.... Fish is slow, and sparse until we get some rains... If anyone is out and about, Im all for having a partner for a few hours--- 240-472-3065

Arthur.....
I was out there tonight between 4:30 and 7:30. Man,... Some nice fish were jumping tonight. I couldnt get a strike though. I tried to switch to ROE, but all I got was empty hooks.
I saw a family come out in their SUV onto the gravel bar, and a couple came out across from me on the next bar above them and watched me chasing jumping fish. LOL Every jumping fish felt like they were saying na-na-nana-na. LOL
BTW my eggs look more like jerky than fresh eggs. Do I have wrong stuff? It molds onto a hook like beeswax (dark brown in color).
Ill be out again tomorrow on the nooksack around everson. Look me up.
360-547-9579

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:34 pm

ydeardorff wrote: I was out there tonight between 4:30 and 7:30. Man,... Some nice fish were jumping tonight. I couldnt get a strike though. I tried to switch to ROE, but all I got was empty hooks.
I saw a family come out in their SUV onto the gravel bar, and a couple came out across from me on the next bar above them and watched me chasing jumping fish. LOL Every jumping fish felt like they were saying na-na-nana-na. LOL
BTW my eggs look more like jerky than fresh eggs. Do I have wrong stuff? It molds onto a hook like beeswax (dark brown in color).
Ill be out again tomorrow on the nooksack around everson. Look me up.
360-547-9579
Yeah, that sounds like some awful roe. Was it refrigerated? It should be orange, red or pink in color (depending on the type of fish it is from and the cure used), NOT brown. It should be firm enough to hold up in your egg loop for at least a half dozen casts or so, but not so firm that it doesn't look like a chunk of fish eggs when bobbing through the water. If you can't find good roe, maybe try to keep some fresh chum later this year, or there's always pinks next year to stock up on roe before the next coho season.

I wouldn't necessarily chase the jumping fish all over, but pay attention to the areas where they rise and remember that is likely close to where they are resting when they aren't splashing.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:15 am

Is it okay to freeze the roe if you are to catch a few chum? Or would you just cure it and then store it cured?

ydeardorff
Petty Officer

Post by ydeardorff » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:24 am

It looks like this is what I bought from wal mart.

However mine is more amber to brown in color like the second red pack shown here, and thick as bees wax. The fish seem to strip it off the hook quite quickly, so they must like it.With bait holder hooks, I get a few casts out of it.
Ive been using a slider weight, and a long bait holder hook (for eggs) and letting the eggs just sit on the bottom. Going to have to try something new today.

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:17 am

branweeds wrote:Is it okay to freeze the roe if you are to catch a few chum? Or would you just cure it and then store it cured?
If you can vacuum seal it before you freeze it, that has worked for me. Or cure it first, then freeze (if you don't have a vacuum sealer). Here is my cure: 5 cups cool water, 1 cup kosher salt (non-iodized), 1 cup sugar (white or brown) 1 cup borax. Cut roe into the size you want (I prefer bait sized pieces), let soak in brine for 45 minutes or so, dry on racks for up to 12 hours (away from animals and the sun), pack and freeze. You must let it dry out enough that it is sticky to the touch, not wet. If I am curing chinook roe or other pale eggs, I might add a tablespoon or so of procure double red to the brine. Coho eggs are a great color on their own, so I don't color them at all.

You can put the roe in the fridge the night before fishing and it is thawed in the morning (because of the salt content, it thaws quickly). You can then re-freeze after fishing if you aren't going to use them right away. I haven't noticed any degradation after re-freezing at least three times.

I really like to pack these in hard-sided plastic containers with lids that seal, rather than zipper bags, because I don't like my roe to get squished. My favorite are the Talenti gelato containers - the bonus being that my wife and daughter happy when I buy some gelato and then encourage them to eat it so I can use the container. They are great clear plastic that is designed for the freezer with lids that screw on, and they are just the right size. I have seen bait jars for sale in the roe cure isle that are more expensive than a container of gelato.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:18 am

Okay if I get my hands on some fresh eggs I will cure it before any freezing (if I need to freeze them). Thanks again for the information! I am going up the south fork this weekend.

spenny1823
Petty Officer

Post by spenny1823 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:29 am

ydeardorff wrote:However mine is more amber to brown in color like the second red pack shown here, and thick as bees wax.
Unfortunately most of the store bought pre cured eggs just aren't as good as fresh roe. That being said I guess any roe is better than no roe. I have also frozen mine in glass jars. If you have a vacuum sealer (mine is from costco) that has a jar sealer on it then it makes it pretty easy to store a decent amount of eggs. I like to use jars that fit enough in them for a couple fishing outings so I'm not thawing a lot or all of my eggs at once. Usually a standard pint jar is a good size for me.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:17 am

My roe worked like a charm, for little fish that is...... something liked it i guess... Lost a nice chrome buck this morning south of the nugents corner bridge on a panther martin spinner.... Watched a native netting the lower run below nugent's by hand, then watched a fat white guy pointing to his native wife to check the net while she was in a canoe....

Funny thing is he was driving a lincoln navigator..... go figure...

I'm so ready for the south fork to open....

spenny1823
Petty Officer

Post by spenny1823 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:42 am

well it opens in two days I believe! The weather looks like it will be in our favor at least sunday maybe. South fork probably needs a really good shot of rain.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:38 pm

Yeah, had the pleasure of talking to a native gentleman when he walked in front us of to pull up his nets. He said about a week ago he got two Chinook salmon both over 20 pounds just down from Nugents Corner. They also catch the salmon smolts and deep fry them. He also said that he cuts the roe out of the salmon when they net them, and leave them on the rocks. (Free roe if your fast enough). But they have nets in every fishing hole the river provides.

spenny1823
Petty Officer

Post by spenny1823 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:11 pm

With the skagit opening up it gives us another option somewhat close to us up here. I'm sure it will be suuuuuper busy this weekend though so maybe hangin around here will be less crowded....so tempting though

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:25 pm

It's pretty easy to zip between the South fork of the Nooksack and the Skagit on highway 9. Why not hit both?

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:13 pm

Stay off the south fork! Thats my water not yours.........

Just kidding, after seeing a few friends hooking up at the skagit, that's where i'm headed after work daily.....they are catching BIG SILVERS.... 10-15lbs!

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:22 pm

dj2loud wrote:Stay off the south fork! Thats my water not yours.........

Just kidding, after seeing a few friends hooking up at the skagit, that's where i'm headed after work daily.....they are catching BIG SILVERS.... 10-15lbs!
Let us know if you get one!