Case Inlet Fishing, Allyn

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dustyfisher007
Petty Officer

Case Inlet Fishing, Allyn

Post by dustyfisher007 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:13 am

Just curious if anybody actively fishes Case Inlet for flounders or lings? It's close to my house and doesnt require a bunch of planning to do.

Looking for areas around Allyn, bait and gear ideas.

Also if you've been successful at the Allyn Pier.

Cheers

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: Case Inlet Fishing, Allyn

Post by Larry3215 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:29 pm

The water there is extremely shallow, so no chance of lings.

If there is a run going into Coulter creek, you might luck into a salmon when they are running. Other than that I doubt there is much there. Its not known for a fishing area.

gaSSer41
Petty Officer

Post by gaSSer41 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:46 pm

I will have to ditto what Larry has said!! If there is any salmon running that far in they are usually pretty lock jaw by then. Even in the Hood Canal they will get lock jaw & it is pretty rough catching them. Got to piss them off.
Butch Duke

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:10 pm

never been there but I bet flounders would be a good possibility. Aren't they just about everywhere in the Sound?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:39 am

My Dad lived on one of the points deep in Case inlet. Shallow, yes, I can walk most of the way across at a good low tide. That's just inside the power lines. Salmon fishing yes. From what I understand there used to be a run of kings, no idea if they were spring or fall. I do know there are a ton of chums going to and around the hatchery. I've seen his neighbors out gear and fly fishing for them. They seemed rather ready to bite when I've watched. I would imagine you could catch some little flounders, my boys were quite good at it when they were younger. Note: Row boats are good for wearing out kids. [thumbsup]

Sad note, due to pollution not many oysters any more, the water is too acid for the spats to grow shells. Only a matter of time and there will be none.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:53 pm

I've fished the Allyn pier a few times in the spring and summer.

The fish there seemed to be small shiner perch and juvenile flounder (smaller than your hand). Hard to fish bait since the shiners thick in the summer and are really good at stripping the bait.

I think if I fished the dock earlier in the spring, before the shiners show up, there may be a better chance to catch some bigger flounder and maybe some larger pile or striped perch around the pilings.

Illahee state park is not too far away from Belfair, and has (or used to have) pretty good pile/striped perch fishing.

obryan214
Commander

Post by obryan214 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:54 pm

Used to do saltwater cutthroat fishing down there. Did great. Haven't tried that area in over a decade.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:51 am

Has anyone tried just fishing pile worms or nightcrawlers off the pier here for piling perch and flounder/bullhead? Is the action slower here for bottom feeders then say, the Mukilteo pier?