Lake Wenatchee

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Dave M
Warrant Officer

Lake Wenatchee

Post by Dave M » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:30 am

I couldn't find in the regs when it opens up? Does anyone know where to find the info?
Thanks

meandermeadows
Petty Officer

Re: Lake Wenatchee

Post by meandermeadows » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:11 am

Page 94 in the regs, looks like it is a year round lake. Have you fished it before?
Fisken Morder!!!

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:31 am

Sorry I should have been more clear, when does it open for sockeye?
No I have never fished it before.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:04 am

The sockeye fishery in lake Wenatchee is based upon escapement goal with about 23000 being the goal before they open it. If they do open for sockeye it will be on an emergency rule change and would show up on the wdfw website. The way the the numbers are at the moment I would be surprised if they do open it but one can be hopeful! One thing about lake Wenatchee is that it can get extremely gusty!!

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Thanks for the info Riverhunter. We were trying to decide between there or Baker. Heard about the wind, doesn't sound fun

ebpip
Petty Officer

Post by ebpip » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:35 pm

From my experience, Lake Wenatchee is more consistent but the fish are a bit bigger, brighter and tend to be more feisty on Baker. Deeper on Wenatchee as well. The wind does tend to pick up there, particularly after 11am or so, but can be an all day thing. I've had luck just beating up in to the wind as far as I could and drift trolling back down the lake. Both are a blast.

salmonkiller
Petty Officer

Post by salmonkiller » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:11 pm

From this announcement from WDFW, it looks like it will not even open up this year...

Sockeye fishing to close on upper Columbia River
Action: Close sockeye salmon fishing
Effective date: 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, July 8, 2017
Areas:
• Columbia River from the Washington/Oregon border upstream to Chief Joseph Dam
• Wenatchee River
• Similkameen River
• Okanogan River
• Chelan River
Reason for action: A revised sockeye salmon forecast of approximately 100,000 for the Columbia River is half of the pre-season forecast of 200,000 fish. After subtracting fish already harvested, those destined for Lake Wenatchee, and pre-spawn mortality, all remaining sockeye must be directed toward escapement and hatchery broodstock.

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:03 pm

That actually is referring more towards the okanagon run but still I will also be surprised if they do open lake Wenatchee