Confusion, 1st degree....

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dj2loud
Lieutenant

Confusion, 1st degree....

Post by dj2loud » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:00 am

So can someone explain the JACK rule? I was recently fishing with friends out on the cascade.. Slow and void of fish except one hole that was a great producer for others that were there... Note that the cascade is marked as a HATCHERY CHINOOK fishery at the moment... Which in wdfw terms as clipped fish only...

Now the problem i'm having is that the group that was fishing was keeping unclipped chinook JACKS.... 6 of them to be exact with 2 hatchery hens all bonked on the shore.... I asked how the fishing was and got a shrug and said it sucked... Looked damn good to me for that hole but damn...... Are they legal to keep or not?

G-Man
Admiral

Re: Confusion, 1st degree....

Post by G-Man » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:02 pm

Unless there are some emergency rules in place for the Cascade, these are the current regs regarding salmon.

SALMON June 1-July 15 Min. size 12". Daily limit 4 hatchery CHINOOK only. Up to 2 may be
adults.

Jack Salmon - Chinook and coho salmon that return at a younger age than most members of their species. For freshwater and in Willapa Bay (area 2-1) and Grays Harbor (area 2-2), a jack salmon is a Chinook less than 24" in length or a coho less than 20" in length.

So, you are allowed to keep a total of 4 hatchery Chinook which can be a mixed bag of jacks and adults. This does not mean you can keep 2 adults in addition to 4 jacks, which would be a total of 6 Chinook.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:09 pm

also, according to the rule quoted above, unclipped jacks would be illegal to retain (since they are not "hatchery chinook")

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:37 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing, unclipped is considered a wild/native fish and therefore non-keeper...... There was some discussions on NWFR a while back about this very situation but i can't find the post... Someone stated that a jack whether clipped or not is still a jack and should be removed from the system... Now i cant find it....

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:47 pm

Anytime the regs say hatchery Chinook only then only clipped fish can be retained regardless of size. And like stated previously on the cascade it's 4 fish total with 2 being adults, but once you've retained your 2 adults you must stop fishing. It's illegal to continue fishing for Jack's once you've bonked the adult portion of your limit.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Heard that, now if we can just educate the rest of the world we would all be the better....

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:35 pm

A simplification of the regs would help tremendously lol...best to just call the warden these days and somebody comes out to check.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:08 am

Regs change from one river to another. in some rivers, unciipped jacks are OK to retain; in other rivers, they are not.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Post by Onmygame » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:31 am

Shad_Eating_Grin wrote:Regs change from one river to another. in some rivers, unciipped jacks are OK to retain; in other rivers, they are not.
This.

In many of the rivers open to hatchery fish only - it will state to release all wild ADULT chinook or coho - meaning jacks are okay to retain if unclipped.

onmygame

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:08 pm

spokey9 wrote:A simplification of the regs would help tremendously lol...best to just call the warden these days and somebody comes out to check.
Totally agree here, the problem is only partially the rules.... The WA regs are the most confusing bs.... for new fisherman especially. Out of state anglers are generally in awe... The layout, wording, inconsistency and scattered nature of the booklet is amazing every year. It shouldn't take avid anglers nearly an hour to check all over the regs and multiple online sources to be sure about the current rules for a fishery. - rant over
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"