Kokanee fishing this year

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Kokanee fishing this year

Post by Toni » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:53 am

I was wondering if anyone fished for kokanee in these Washington lakes this year: Meridian in King County;
Clear Lake, Pierce county; Summit and Ward lakes in Thurston County?
How was your catching of kokanee?
If caught, how big were they?

Thank you for the information.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Sideburns
Commander

Re: Kokanee fishing this year

Post by Sideburns » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:28 pm

6-8 trips to meridian this year for me, targeting kokes. I lost one at the boat, and released a 6 inch kokanee.... thats it.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:42 pm

I have done zero koke fishing this year, but I have read a bunch of good reports from Merwin and a few from Yale.

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:16 pm

Larry3215 wrote:I have done zero koke fishing this year, but I have read a bunch of good reports from Merwin and a few from Yale.
And Lake Stevens as well as eastern Washington. That is why I was asking about Meridian in King County; Clear Lake, Pierce county; Summit and Ward lakes in Thurston County.
These had larger than the "norm" and now nothing. Even Alder is not producing as well

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

Hunter757
Commander

Post by Hunter757 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:00 am

I have not done much koke fishing at all this year. Did do Summit a few times no kokes at all. I did hear that American had a few this year but nothing like years past. A very dry year for kokes lets hope that next years fish are still in the lakes? Time will tell.
2005 Weldcraft Maverick 182DV
Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF 9.9
Lowrance elite 7 HDI
Raymarine Ray49 VHF
Cannon Mag 10 HS

Racer
Warrant Officer

Post by Racer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:35 am

Only got out a few times to Clear Lake and American this year. I did not do very good with kokes but did catch alot of rainbow. I threw everything in the box at them. Seemed pretty slow for them.

The best I did for kokes was when I was fishing Baker Lake for sockeye. We caught atleast 10 up there.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:54 pm

Second consecutive bad kokanee year for meridian. The year before that was great though. The cutthroat seem to have moved in in their absence... By chance, do any of these slow kokanee fisheries share a common hatchery source?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:31 am

Sideburns wrote:Second consecutive bad kokanee year for meridian. The year before that was great though. The cutthroat seem to have moved in in their absence... By chance, do any of these slow kokanee fisheries share a common hatchery source?
That was an interesting thought. I went and looked for 2014 and 2015 and of the lakes that I asked about all were from Lakewood hatchery. Except 2015 where Eells springs hatchery was used for Summit Lake June 27 plant.

Has anyone ever fished for kokanee in King county on Langlois or Beaver Lake?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:26 am

Sideburns wrote:Second consecutive bad kokanee year for meridian. The year before that was great though. The cutthroat seem to have moved in in their absence... By chance, do any of these slow kokanee fisheries share a common hatchery source?
second that. We went out this year to do a kokanee video and it ended up being a trout video, LOL.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:30 pm

Toni wrote:
That was an interesting thought. I went and looked for 2014 and 2015 and of the lakes that I asked about all were from Lakewood hatchery. Except 2015 where Eells springs hatchery was used for Summit Lake June 27 plant.

Where did you find this info?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:38 pm

In an excel spread sheet that is on my computer. I bugged a biologist so much with questions he sent 10 years of information in a spread sheet.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:40 pm

I remember reading about other northwest lake's kokanee hatcheries having problems after the heat wave a couple years ago. i think the hatchery product and local ecosystems are still recovering from that event. I invested a LOT of money in two boats worth of kokanee setups after the 2014 & 2015 seasons, I'm still recovering from the last two year's disappointment!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Toni wrote:

I've never seen a Koke in Langlois and I've fished it a lot. No one will be getting a motor boat in there. Big logs across the launch. Little boats when the water is high and electric motors only.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!