Wader repairs

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Dave M
Warrant Officer

Wader repairs

Post by Dave M » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:14 pm

So my waders have a leak, 1 time the boot was half full of water, another my sock and pant leg were soaked but no puddle in the boot, then next time just where I tuck my pant leg into the sock was wet, this time on both legs.
Got some UV aqua seal, it helped but still after maybe an hour in the river both legs were damp again.

Thinking about trying flex seal around where the boot meets the neoprene, anybody ever tried this?

somethingsfishy
Angler

Re: Wader repairs

Post by somethingsfishy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:34 am

i fixed mine with clear silicone caulk smeared all around. ugly but workd

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:10 am

A good way to test for leaks is to fill your waders up with water ( inside and up to a little past your normal wading height) and look for leaks coming out. If you see water coming out circle the spot with a black marker - then fix after drying. I've found many leaks throughout the years doing this. Do this well before a fishing trip as the waders need time to dry inside. I've had the best luck with a good wader leak kit. I agree to really goop the glue or whatever sealant you use. I usually put a patch type repair on let dry then goop sealant over and around the leak. make sure whatever you use is flexible. Also I apply a thin coat of sealant over and around all seams that are around the boot area and/or below the wading water line. Yea it looks kinda ugly but I stay dry and don't have to spend $100 or so and in addition you don't look like a guy that just walked out of Cabelas.
Hope this helps. [thumbup]

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:53 am

Plasti Dip liquid rubber (not the spray) is good for fixing leaks in neoprene. The stuff will soak into the neoprene and seal the pin holes

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:39 am

Like everybody else I patch pinholes with a dab of goo. Anything much bigger than that I pack full of goo then stitch close while the goo is wet with 20lb braid. Then apply another dab of goo over the stitches. I ripped the seam in the back of my old neoprene waders that was 6 inches long and the goo with stitches never leaked after I sewed it up. Matter of fact when I finally ditched those waders that patch was probly the only part of the waders that didn't leak lol.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:23 pm

Got the clear flex seal and sprayed all around the boots and the seams up to the knees. Will be testing them tomorrow. I like the idea of filling them with water and looking on the outside for the leaks.
I was planning to by a new pair and be that guy coming out of cabelas, but the wife would rather spend the money on the grandbaby that is coming so I had to try 1 more thing.
thanks for the tips.

jrodell27
Petty Officer

Post by jrodell27 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:13 am

I've heard some good things from some friends in Alaska who use this stuff called Tenacious Tape for a lot of gear repair. I think pairing this up with some kind of adhesive goop like AquaSeal or something could suit you well.

https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-Tenacio ... B005BLQTEE
“I’m not going to catch any fish in the forest using a steak knife as bait. Still, I’ve got to try.”
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jarod Kintz

Dave M
Warrant Officer

Post by Dave M » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:56 pm

I saw some of that tape on Amazon. As of now they are still leaking just a bit. Both sides and my pants were damp but not soaked after an hour in the water. Thinking it is the inseam right where the boot is attached.