New APP from WDFW - looking for beta testors

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
Larry3215
Admiral

New APP from WDFW - looking for beta testors

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:53 pm

We dont have a forum section for WDFW news and I dont know where to put this, but here you go.

Got this email today. I downloaded the app but have not played with it yet. So far it has mostly poor reviews in the Google app store.

WDFW FISH PROGRAM
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
[email protected]

WDFW seeks beta testers for its free mobile fishing app

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is seeking the public's help in beta testing its free mobile fishing application prior to the app's official release in April 2018. The Fish Washington app is designed to convey up-to-the-minute fishing regulations for every lake, river, stream and marine area in the state and is available for download now at Google Play and Apple's App store.

Download on the App Store Get it on Google Play

The application contains many great features, including:

Interactive mapping to help anglers find fishing near them.
Details on harvest limits and allowable gear for fishable species in each body of water.
Access to the Fish Washington website and instructional videos designed to convey when, where and how to fish in Washington.
Locations of boat launches and other fishing access points.
Ability to add waypoints on maps, and report poaching in progress.
Downloadable updates and offline capacity designed for those who may not have cell service in remote areas or on the water.
The agency is sharing this early release to gain anglers' help working out any unanticipated bugs. The testing effort is also meant to encourage scrutiny of how the rules will display for every water body in Washington. Some inconsistencies and errors may pop up given that the rules associated with every stream, lake and river in Washington have never been displayed on an app like this before.

WDFW encourages everyone to download the Fish Washington app by visiting Apple's App store or Google's Play store. Please use the commenting features in the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to provide feedback, which will help the department make improvements prior to the app's official launch this spring. App testers can also leave comments at [email protected] (be sure to indicate which device you are using).

Larry3215
Admiral

Re: New APP from WDFW - looking for beta testors

Post by Larry3215 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Woof
Angler

Post by Woof » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:31 pm

I appreciate this link. So far I have found the app VERY helpful in identifying fishing access points, local rules, and dates open.

I am returning to fishing after a long hiatus and this app has helped me get out on the water quick and easy.

Woof

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:15 pm

I have been using this app since the "Beta Testing" last year sometime. I love it. It gives just about everything you could need to know for fishing regs, and you can download them for offline use as well. It also has links to report poaching, check emergency updates, etc.

retired11
Petty Officer

Post by retired11 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:13 pm

They want to much access to information on your phone. They don't need that information.....

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 pm

It's not bad but for a lot of my fishing I use escapement and flow reports to help decide where I'm going and I couldn't find a way to access them in app. Consequently I ended up uninstalling :-"
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:42 pm

spokey9 wrote:It's not bad but for a lot of my fishing I use escapement and flow reports to help decide where I'm going and I couldn't find a way to access them in app. Consequently I ended up uninstalling :-"
I certainly don’t use it for deciding where to fish, just for the regulations. It’s easier than carrying around a hard copy or looking them up online for me.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Looking up emergency rules has become part of o'dark thirty ritual and since I refuse to buy a smart phone, the app just wasn't useful enough to keep on my tablet
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.