Cutthroat Stink

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Cutthroat Stink

Post by Jakefish » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 pm

I caught a fat 14inch Cutthroat out of Lake Padden today, and I think it is the first Cutthroat I have caught that was clearly a fish-eater. It's belly was full of perch, and it looked similar to the Lake WA Cutthoat pics in all the reports. I've kept Cutts before, but when I cut this one open, it had a unique and pungent odor - coming from the stomach and digestive tract (and stool). Is this common among trout that are dining on fish? Do Lake WA Cutts share this distinctive odor?

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Re: Cutthroat Stink

Post by branweeds » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:21 am

I’m just impressed you got through all the stockers to find a cutthroat in Padden...

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:04 am

branweeds wrote:I’m just impressed you got through all the stockers to find a cutthroat in Padden...
I hooked one just like it a week ago as well, but I handed off my rod (and the fish) to a newbie. I am noticing less perch around this year - maybe the cutts are taking their toll?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:36 pm

I’ve caught a lot of Lake WA. Cutts.
Never noticed any shtank going on. [scared]

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:20 pm

The Quadfather wrote:I’ve caught a lot of Lake WA. Cutts.
Never noticed any shtank going on. [scared]
I think I just have a sensitive nose for it. I can smell the difference between all 5 species of salmon when I am filleting them, and often smell differences between different rivers. :fish: The cutthroat fillets smell just fine now so they are on the bbq. We'll see how this goes. [thumbsup]

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:26 pm

That’s cool, Jakedogfish..
If you can smell the difference in some rivers you may have salmonid in you somewheres. [thumbup]

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Update - just off the grill, the smell is stronger now and one reluctant nibble later tells me NEVER AGAIN. Trust your nose, people. :-& :-& :-&

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:55 pm

I have kept a large cutthroat from a private 2 acre pond before that smelled and tasted foul. That specific bass pond hadnt been stocked with cutts for 30 plus years when the young kids at that time used to throw fish caught out of a local creek in there! It tasted just like you would think coming out of a shallow cow pasture pond. I was impressed that these native fish could evolve into such an obviously "top predator" over the course of 30 yrs. In that pound the cutts were eating bullfrogs and bass fry.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

grubowski
Petty Officer

Post by grubowski » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:22 pm

I once caught a small wild rainbow out of a small stream in Utah that smelled and tasted like some sort of petroleum product. I kept a couple of small Browns from the same creek that day and they tasted great. Not sure what that was about.

Jake Dogfish
Commander

Post by Jake Dogfish » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:25 am

The Quadfather wrote:That’s cool, Jakedogfish..
If you can smell the difference in some rivers you may have salmonid in you somewheres. [thumbup]
I don’t sniff my fish, and I “never sniff a gift fish”. [drool]