Best Baitcasting Reel for a 8'6" Rod

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
hawkoath
Petty Officer

Best Baitcasting Reel for a 8'6" Rod

Post by hawkoath » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:27 pm

I was wondering what would be a good baitcasting reel to pair up with the St. Croix Legend Elite LEC86MHF2 both in terms of value (what I can probably get now) and best overall (what I can keep an eye out for). The quality of the drag, the distance it can cast, the smoothness, ease of use and limiting the possibility of birds nests, etc... are all things I care about. Keep in mind though I haven't used a baitcasting reel before so I don't know too much about the what's important or not. The rod will be used in surf casting for salmon/flounder off the beach and on piers both in the PNW and for a planned trip to AK (I was also hoping to use the same reel for fishing on the rivers as well but it is not a priority if the two are mutually exclusive).

Here are the specs below:

MODEL LGTH. PWR. ACTION PCS. LINE WT. LURE WT. ROD WT. (OZ.)
LEC86MHF2 8'6" MH Fast 2 8 - 17 3/8 - 1 5.2

If you guys could explain your reasoning it would be appreciated. Thanks for the help guys.

schu7498
Commander

Re: Best Baitcasting Reel for a 8'6" Rod

Post by schu7498 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:58 pm

If youre looking at low profiles, I would suggest either the Daiwa Lexa 300 series or the Shimano Curado E series. Both of these low profile reels have decent line capacity and good drag pressure. The lexa will give you around 21lbs of drag and the Curado will give you around 15lbs of max drag. Both of these low profiles are designed for inshore use. Difference between these two is the Daiwa Lexa's use magnetic breaks to control casting and backlash. The curados use centrifugal breaks to control casting and backlash. I have only used daiwas, but fishermen with experience with using both types seem to prefer the centrifugal break system. Down side is if you do need to adjust your breaks on a shimano you have to open up the side plate and adjust. Abu garcia has a revo toro NaCl low profile for inshore use with good line capacity. I havent heard too much feedback about the NaCl's though.
If youre thinking of the round profile casting reels, the Daiwa Luna seems to preform amazingly well. Good Drag, good line capacity,machined parts, and great for inshore use. Most guys that fish them love them. And they seem to hold up well under years of good use. Shimano calcutta B are pretty popular. Comes in a variety of sizes. Great for inshore use and its parts are machined rather than cast, which usually makes a reel last longer and hold up longer under pressure.
Low profiles are going to cut down on your line capacity, but they are more comfortable in the hand after long periods of use. So they are pretty popular with the drift fishermen that end up casting for 8+ hours. The round profiles will give you more line capacity, and are more popular with boat guys and plunkers. Hope this helps.

hawkoath
Petty Officer

Post by hawkoath » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:40 pm

Thanks for the good advice. I'll see if I can bring my fishing rod into a store sometime and see if I can try out some of the reels you mentioned.

geekgiant
Petty Officer

Post by geekgiant » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:28 pm

I've been looking into the Okuma Coldwater low profiles. I have a few of the other Coldwaters and like the looks of the casting reels.

Pinndy
Angler

Post by Pinndy » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:09 am

Sorry for bumping...just my two cents...

I have purchased a Shimano Curado Cu201 B5 which looks to be in excellent condition. I have read quite a bit about upgrading the drags with Carbontex carbon fiber washers. Any thoughts on that. This seems to be a great beginning point for me and my needs using a low profile reel. Everything I have read points to these reels being life long reels if taken care of and that is one of the things that steered me in this direction. I am looking forward to its arrival just after Christmas.

I also was recently in the market for a new low-pro for steelheading and this is what I settled on. Already have one of the Coldwater LCs for salmon trolling, but wanted something a little smaller & lighter for bank casting, and the nicer Shimanos still seemed a bit beyond what I was willing to spend. Read nothing but positive reviews on the Revos and liked the way they looked & felt in the store. Can't comment on long-term-durability yet, but so far I'd buy it again.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:16 am

*Spam*