Can anyone tell me about the Green River

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Mojo58
Angler

Can anyone tell me about the Green River

Post by Mojo58 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:03 pm

I have only fished the Humo but want to try fishing rivers closer to my Tacoma home. Can anyone tell me about the Green? Access points? The WDFW only shows one access point. Are there others? I have a 14ft kayak I use and want to know where I can put in.
Also how is fishing this Fall. Hoping for some Coho or Chum.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Can anyone tell me about the Green River

Post by natetreat » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:52 am

The drift is from whitney bridge to soos creek takeout. It's not very technical, aside from a few tight spots with fallen trees. There's one spot below the mouth of Burns creek this year that is particularly prickly. Find the slack water, edges with little current and you'll catch. Bobber and pink jig tipped with prawn. The couple miles at the top of the drift around the Metzler area are where you want to focus your time.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:13 pm

No need for a kayak unless that's your thing. There area lot of public access sites from the mouth all the way to Flaming Geyser. Look on Google Maps for the green "park" areas. Most have trails that access the river. Otherwise Nate's advice is what you'll want to follow.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:56 pm

natetreat is being humble. He and I made a couple good videos on the Green River a few years back, including showing various places to fish:

http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/Videos/Watch/112

http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/Videos/Watch/163

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Mojo58
Angler

Post by Mojo58 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:55 pm

Excellent information. Will try and get out this weekend. You guys are great!!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:16 am

Here's the report I just posted, I've been there Monday and Tuesday for the past two weeks. Green River. Anyone who knows me knows that I love the green river chum. We've been fishing it for the past week and it's been fantastic. The drift from Whitney down has been fantastic. There are a lot of chum in the upper stretch around Metzler natural area. The park proper has been fantastic for the guys on the bank, with a few thick schools of coho up above the hatchery and chum stacked at the drift proper.

Yesterday we lost count at about 70 fish to the boat, it was every cast for a bit. Up higher, it's been a 50-50 mix of dark coho to chum, down lower mostly chum, but the lower chum are brighter. I don't think the run is over, a good rain will bring in a fresh push, we've got a week or two left of really great fishing.

Bobber and pink jig is where it's at, we're running 1-1/2 to 2 foot leaders on 20 lbs. to a 1/8 oz. pink or pink and white jig tipped with prawn. They are holding in the shallow froggy water, and are not line shy. Twitching jigs have been working as well in purple, pinks and blacks, but the fish are so thick the you'll end up foul hooking more than you want, so I recommend running bobbers. Pulling in a big bruiser chum by the tail is a recipe for broken rods! Since they are so shallow, the short leaders help to run through those 2 foot deep flats.

On the bank the walk in area around the mouth of burns creek has been really good, so if you hoof it a bit you'll find some elbow room, not a lot of bankies have been exploring outside of the Metzler drift proper.

One quick note: There is of course another log jam right below the Burns Creek eddy making the right hand side of the logs impassable, with multiple sweepers spanning the river. The slot to the right looks really skinny from up top of the drop, but you definitely need to stay right, there were a couple of guys that got into some super sticky situations going left earlier, and some guys unsure of the line to take that had to wait for those of us that new the line to show them. in higher flows you won't have that much time to make a decision on your line, and the left side will look passable, but it's most certainly not. Stay right the whole way down and you'll be fine.

If you want exact GPS coordinates and are in the Everett area come in and see me at work and I'll get you set up.

Any color jig works well as long as it's pink, and don't forget your raw shrimp, that's the secret sauce, you'll catch five times the amount with it over a bare jig.