Limit vs area

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fisherman92
Lieutenant

Limit vs area

Post by fisherman92 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:17 pm

Quick question.
If I fish in an area where one fish is allowed, am I able to boat over to another area where two fish are allowed and catch an additional fish?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Limit vs area

Post by Amx » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:27 pm

My understanding is yes, but you can't do the opposite.
Tom.

Interests: living

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:10 pm

fisherman92 wrote:Quick question.
If I fish in an area where one fish is allowed, am I able to boat over to another area where two fish are allowed and catch an additional fish?
Can I ask what lake etc. this is in?
I’m just curious, as I’m not really familiar with a lake that has one regulation on limits in one area, but a different limit # in another area for the same species.

Not saying it’s not possible, but a little weird.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Chris, I think he's asking about the sound.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:27 pm

Yes the sound. Thanks for the responses guys. I limited in area 9 for one blackmouth each and wondered if I could go get a second fish in area 8-2 since the limit is 2, bit not to exceed 2 fish total per person obviously.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:52 pm

I believe the answer regarding the Puget sound was a resounding No you can not go into the other area (I assume 8-2) and try and get that second fish.

If the wardens see you catch the first one in 9 and see you in 8-2 and you catch a second you might be in deep doo. If I recall correctly its similar to the You may not land both a Canadian and Washington limit of SALMON on the same day (one or the other, not both).

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:41 am

I could not find anything in the rule book that is directed towards different limits in different marine areas. Your best bet is to give wdfw a call and get an answer from them.

Fishing in Canada I would think is completely different than going from one marine area to another.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:53 am

I wish I could remember the entire conversation I had with a couple friends and a retired Game Warden. Discussion started in the area of I'm fishing area X in the Puget Sound and I catch a salmon. I then go into area y and I resume fishing. We asked any issues. Warden friend said no, not as long as the limits are the same. So we changed the condition. Said what if the fish I caught was legal in area x of the Puget but closed in area Y. We were told the warden could site us because we were in possession of a fish in closed waters... or something like that. He used the example of Pinks are open in area 10 but closed in area 8-2. John Doe goes fishing in area 10 where the limit is 2 coho or 2 pink or combo of. His group picks up 2 coho and 1 pink. Then head back towards Everett where the launched from. Along the way they drop the lines back in the water because coho is open and the limit is 2 and they still have 1 coho per area 8-2 limit, however the area is closed to pinks.

Warden said he could again site the group because they had the Pink in closed waters to Pinks. At that point one of us asked the I'm in area 9 or 10 and I catch a Chinook. In area 9 or 10 the limit is 1. I'm heading back to port in Everett and I decide to drop lines in area 8-2 because the limit is 2. Have I violated the regulations. I think the consensus was yes because you got your limit in Area 9 or 10.

I then threw extra monkey wrench into the issue. I go out on a boat in area 9 and land 1 legal king. Area 9 in my demo has a limit of 2 fish. We head back in and I decide because I only caught 1 and the limit is 2 for area 9 to fishing off the local fishing pier where the limit is 1. I catch and land a second king. Warden asks to see my card and notes that I had 1 fish recorded for the day and now have the second fish. Am I in trouble?

Of course there is an easier way to get to the bottom of this one and that is to contact the wardens office directly instead of relying on a bulletin board.

Over on Facebook a thread started about outboard engines on boats where no combustion engines were allowed. Could the person have the motor on the boat but out of the water or did the motor have to be removed. Not a fun thread by the way.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:40 pm

Thanks for the input. I may call and I'll post if I do. And I too have had the same combustion motor debate with multiple people haha

hlindsay
Warrant Officer

Post by hlindsay » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:16 pm

Page 4 under YOU MAY NOT•
Fish for, or harvest fish or shellfish in an area with catch in your possession that does not meet the rules of that area. However, you may pass through such an area without stopping to fish. Also, you may catch fish in one area and land them at a port in a different area even if that different area is closed or has different rules, with the exception of landing HALIBUT in a closed area, or landing BOTTOMFISH caught in Oregon (see page 98) Additionally, see fish and shellfish caught in Canada (same page).

Point being if the fish in your boat are legal in the area you are in you are ok. As far as in fresh water think of Merwin and Yale lakes, you can move from the lower limit to the higher limit lake and you are ok.