2-stroke motors, huh??

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

2-stroke motors, huh??

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:26 am

I am just curious in the modern day of 2019, what are people’s thoughts of owning a 2-stroke motor?

I was looking at a pretty nice boat, all things considered... except it comes with a “Low-hours”. 2006 Evinrude 2- stroke. I come from a 4-stroke EFI motor background. The whole thought of mixing gas/oil, just sounds like a PIA. Is there anybody out there who actually has a reason to go this route? Please tell me your reasons.
There will be people who have just owned boats with 2-strokes, who do not choose to upgrade, cost, etc.
But if you are coming into it for the 1st time... seems like a total dud thing to have hanging off transom when trying to sell a boat.
But maybe I’m missing something here?

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Re: 2-stroke motors, huh??

Post by fisherman92 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:48 am

Not sure why to specifically have one besides they're less expensive typically, maybe some others have reasons why..? I have friends with them and they dont mind them. In my experience of having 2 strokes and being on boats with them is they are just a bit more of a pain like you said haha. Typically harder to start, smoke more, mixing oil, ect. Also, there are watersheds/ fisheries that are not allowing them anymore. I have a 4 stroke now that has a carb that works great, 1999 Honda 90 hp. But next motor will for sure be a 4 stroke EFI motor.

18ftTrophy
Warrant Officer

Post by 18ftTrophy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:01 am

Hey Chris, Don't discount the Evinrude E-tecs. They have the best toque and emissions of any outboard. I have three boats and they all have e-tecs. No oil mixing, no smoke, start very easily and very quite. That 2006 you are talking about has an oil tank. let me know if I can help. [thumbsup]

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:40 am

There's no "mixing" with modern 2-strokes. Haven't mixed a drop in mine since new and, FWIW, as of last May, there is only one engine manufacturer still making 2-stroke outboard engines and it's not Mercury.

Just like18ftTrophy said, no mixing, no smoke, starts within 3secs of turning the key. A 3-star CARB certified engine is a 3-Star CARB certified engine regardless of name on cowl and whether it is 2 or 4 stroke. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

DavidA
Lieutenant

Post by DavidA » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:20 pm

One thing I have not seen mentioned is the weight difference. 2-strokes weigh much less and that makes a huge difference for my little 12' fiberglass.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:45 pm

DavidA wrote:One thing I have not seen mentioned is the weight difference. 2-strokes weigh much less and that makes a huge difference for my little 12' fiberglass.
Good to know, Thanks!

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:37 am

My Love of two strokes stems from the dirt bike engines of my youth. All my outboards are old mix your own fuel two strokes. Put..put...put...pop!......put...put............put..............put. And the smell!...I guess those are all cons for the rest of you!
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:50 am

Sideburns wrote:My Love of two strokes stems from the dirt bike engines of my youth. All my outboards are old mix your own fuel two strokes. Put..put...put...pop!......put...put............put..............put. And the smell!...I guess those are all cons for the rest of you!
The same reason I like my turntables, and tube amplifiers. :cheers:

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:29 am

I am 'generally' a 2 stroke preference guy with both outboards and motorcycles. BUT, I got my first 4 stroke (used) 7.5 hp outboard a couple years ago for trolling and my wife likes it because it is quieter and does not smell as bad if the wind is wrong. I like it as well, but I am not 'in love' with it. I have worked on a number of both over the years.
The saying that 4 strokes have one for power and one to wear out the engine comes to mind... [flapper]
As has been stated, the 2 strokes are lighter. It is more noticeable in the smaller engines than the bigger ones, say once you get over 100 hp, but in a small boat it makes a difference. Particularly if you are taking it on and off. I weigh all of my small outboards and you can figure around 10%-20% heavier for the same HP in a 4 stroke. The 7.5 I have is around 15 lbs heavier than the same HP in a 2 stroke. The older 2 strokes were lighter generally. And there were twins instead of singles, which are smoother. The weight is not as big a deal on my heavy 16', but on my light portable 12' it is a big deal. That extra weight is hanging past the end of the boat where I am also sitting.
There are more parts to wear out in a 4 stroke, and you have the changing of the oil and adjusting the valves. No hydraulic lifters on small outboards, not that you will be doing it very often. You also have to be careful how you lay them down or you will leak oil. 2 strokes tend to have a wider usable rpm band. 4 stroke RPM bands are narrower but they have a lot of torque.
A 2 stroke should not be any harder to start than a 4 stroke if both are in good running order. In my experience (after a number of gifted outboards and yard tools) the biggest issue is mix. If you are pre mixing fuel DON'T GUESS. Measure. It makes a big difference. When you change the mixture of oil and gas you are changing the air fuel ratio across the entire range. Ones with a tank that mix for you are great, but most of the smaller outboards do not have them. More oil leans out the air fuel mixture and can make them hard to start and they run like crap. Once you tune a 2 stroke for a mixture keep using that mix. MEASURE. :cheers:

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:50 am

Chris, I have a 2006 115 HP E-tec which has over 1000 hours on it. They are solid motors and mine is set to run the XP100 oil. A gallon typically lasts between 75 and 100 hours, depending on how it's run. No oil/filter changes required, except for the lower unit. They run quiet, not quite as quiet as a 4 stroke, don't shake and don't smoke. The engines don't weigh a lot less than the high end 4 strokes, but as you know, every bit helps. A direct injection 2 stroke motor would not deter me from making a purchase on a boat, be it an Evinrude, Merc or Yami.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:02 pm

G-Man wrote:Chris, I have a 2006 115 HP E-tec which has over 1000 hours on it. They are solid motors and mine is set to run the XP100 oil. A gallon typically lasts between 75 and 100 hours, depending on how it's run. No oil/filter changes required, except for the lower unit. They run quiet, not quite as quiet as a 4 stroke, don't shake and don't smoke. The engines don't weigh a lot less than the high end 4 strokes, but as you know, every bit helps. A direct injection 2 stroke motor would not deter me from making a purchase on a boat, be it an Evinrude, Merc or Yami.
Words from the wise. Thanks!

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:12 am

Everything G-Man says is true and they're also very fuel efficient. Have owned the DI Merc in my signature since new, not one problem, and just routine maintenance. I get 6.1mpg at 30mph turning only 3380rpm - awesome.

That said, this technology is outdated (for outboards anyway), and in Merc's case, now obsolete. DI 2-strokes will be around for many years, there are thousands upon thousands of them out there, and Evinrude is still producing DI 2-strokes. I suspect that, however, will change in the not too distant future.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:43 am

Hewesfisher, sorry, but can you clarify what is DI?

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:34 am

Not Hewesfisher but I can answer that. Direct injection. Basically direct fuel injection into the combustion chamber but there are other fuel injection types that show great promise with less expense. The DI injectors are specialized and fairly expensive.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Brings up a question..... How is the crankshaft and piston rod lubricated?
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:01 pm

On the E-tecs , a pump provides oil directly to multiple points in the engine to keep it lubricated. A little bit of the oil is scavenged during the intake cycle, which also lubricates the cylinder/rings.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:18 am

G-Man wrote:On the E-tecs , a pump provides oil directly to multiple points in the engine to keep it lubricated. A little bit of the oil is scavenged during the intake cycle, which also lubricates the cylinder/rings.
Similar process used on the Optimax as well. Multi port oil pump lubricates crankcase and cylinders.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System

clarkbre
Petty Officer

Post by clarkbre » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:26 pm

Getting back to the 2 stroke question...

For me, 2 strokes have their place as cheap, reliable, predictable and simple engines.....if well kept.

My 16' Lund is pushed by a 1997 15hp Suzuki with oil injection. The engine keeps the boat on plain at 20mph and doesn't use much fuel. The oil injection is very nice as I have never had to mix fuel.....For that I love it. I also use my boat on electric only waters and the light weight of the 15hp makes it very easy to remove and install on the transom. For my particular set up, it's a great engine.

The last thing is starting and running. Mine is very smooth. I've been around 4 strokes and while they are very nice, mine isn't very far off. It cold starts on the 2nd pull and once warm 1 pull and runs super smooth. I do believe that good starting is a result of using spark plugs that are in good shape and using fuel stabilizer/treatment always. I also always run the engine out of fuel when I'm done with an outing so that I know it's free and clear of anything that can gum up the carb. I do wonder how much the old-school 2 strokes are affected by the lack of fuel stabilizers and not being run dry.

In the end, would I love to max out my hull with a 25hp 4 stroke? Absolutely! But, there's about $3,500 reasons (I paid that 11 years ago for the boat, engine and trailer) that I can't justify doing it yet. My upgrade will come when the waters I fish restrict 2 strokes or the Suzuki has a catastrophic failure....whatever comes first.