Sponsors hurting site

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
ChesterDog206
Angler

Sponsors hurting site

Post by ChesterDog206 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:26 am

I was reminiscing on the days when most of the reports on the site were genuine. My impression is that the balance on posts went from every day fisher people to sponsors and guides within the last year or so. The posts that serve as classified ads for guides are tolerable because they typically include an anecdotal story and photos, but the posts that mask as fishing reports only to advertise for lures and spoons are getting more and more common and annoying. If I never read about an Old Goat Gods Tooth again I'd be a happy camper. I'm sure others share my feelings.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Re: Sponsors hurting site

Post by TrackerPro16 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:47 am

Between those, the pop ups I can't seem to close when I am on my phone and the 'catch and release' folks, which I will admit seem to be a little less 'militant' of late, it can be irritating but overall the site is still one of the best out there. Particularly for the PNW.

Now I would like to take a minute to thank my sponsors,,,
[biggrin] #-o [-X ](*,) :salut:

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 am

I must be missing something on our end. We don't have a single popup banner in use on the site, and only 1 Gods tooth promotional report has been posted in the last 30 days.. (http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ ... ails/58004)

Very few reports on our site are from Guides or "sponsors"... the rest are from folks like yourself that might have a favorite piece of tackle and they might promote it because they're interested in helping others recreate their success. Someone dropping the name of their lure in a report doesn't mean anything, unless the report has a Sponsor signature, like the report I posted above.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:28 pm

Interesting on the pop ups. I had two come up on my phone yesterday when I opened the NWFR screen, overlaid to the point it took over half the screen. There was no way I could see to close them out so I just closed the screen out, opened a new one and went elsewhere. I will play with it some today and see what is up.

Just had one from 'SquareSpace' pop up on my computer when I opened up NWFR. It changed to a link to 'Fishingstage.com' then disappeared. Only happens on this site. It seems to be a 'rolling' ad as it came back up to a Toyota ad and then a message from 'Durkin.com' about the new gun storage laws in Wa.

hewesbob
Lieutenant

Post by hewesbob » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Just curious Aaron, if there are no pop up banners in use then what are the advertisements that keep blinking on and off (one on the bottom and one on each side of the page) as I am trying to view a page? If they are not for your adds maybe you could tell me how I can get rid of them. Thanks

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:35 pm

I'll take a local fishing report from anyone, keeps me informed on what's going on since I'm not on any other social media outlets such as facebook. In my opinion there isnt an overflow of reports or anything so doesn't bother me at all. And yes the pop ups are no good but I manage.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:44 pm

A pop up ad ON the page is one thing. These are just ‘appearing’ overlaid and do not move with the page. I am going to screen capture some and send/post them up.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:25 am

There are ways to eliminate pop ads but I'm not posting how here because they help generate revenue for site. I've been "unwanted ad free" here for a long, long time.

I much prefer the supporting member option like was here years ago, BUT, look at how little traffic the forum actually has these days, so that won't generate enough revenue to pay the bills.

As to reports, my pet peeve are "fishing reports" from sponsors who aren't actually fishing, certain resorts immediately come to mind. Since they pay sponsorship fees, they have as much right as you or me. A fishing report should be from someone, guide or individual, who was actually on the water and attempting to catch fish not sitting in an office and relaying the merged second hand experiences of several customers to imply great fishing. Those aren't reports, they're just ads, and I skip them when I see them. :-"
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:20 am

TrackerPro16, We have a static ad at the bottom of the site that is as you've described. It doesn't move, it stays at the bottom. That's not a popup ad, it's a static footer ad. We do have those, both on mobile and desktop. It should have a large X on a corner and should close easily enough if its covering any content. If there'a a particular offender that isn't performing like that let us know and we'll yell at the ad agency on your behalf to remove it.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:28 pm

I think maybe what the original thread poster was talking about is that it kind of becomes redundant when people post a gazillion reports praising ‘God’s teeth and Old goat lures, etc’. And then each time the lure manufacture chimes in with his thanks, and other suggestions of lures etc.
That being said, yeah, I know what your saying (original poster). but at the end of the day, it’s an online fishing resource that is free, and I don’t always agree with the format, but it’s still a highly valuable and appreciated resource.

My .02 on the various ads etc. yeah, it’s super annoying. There is way more ads on my iPhone access to the site, as well as these pics (ads) tjat come up sort of almost where you expect the report pics to be, so sometimes they get clicked on by mistake.
Again, I hate all that stuff, but I don’t have any idea what it takes to run/operate a website like this, so I just except it.
I agree with who ever it was that said, they liked it better in the days of the Premium Membership, etc. dues paying people.
But it’s all changed since the Facebook generation now globs on via NWFR Facebook page, and the days of people REALLY having a place of community on the forums, is in the past, and thus, not enough people to pay Premium dues, and keep ads down.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:26 pm

The little one on the bottom is fine but there is a ‘New York Life’ ad over the top of that one that covers half if it including the ‘X’. The NYL ad is over half the screen high and about 1/3 screen wide. No ‘X’ or any way I see to get rid of it. It only appears on this site. Got a screen shot but my usual ‘download’ site will not work so I am not able to post it at this time.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Well, since we’re all chattin’ It up.
On my iPhone I have a huge ‘Players’ ad tjat blows up half the screen. It is a golf ad.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:54 pm

Can you get a screenshot of it?
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:00 pm

This is what I see.
Screenshot_2019-03-13-18-58-43.png
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:02 pm

E8B391CA-4F22-4B3E-8C5C-A68E9F83BA52.png
Here is my screenshot, give it a moment, I may have to resize image.

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Do you find that you get ads that are large like this often?
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Traxstech Fishing System

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:39 pm

This only started in the last couple weeks maybe?
There are a lot of other little banner ads that are annoying, but this one makes it so I can barely type on the phone.
Even though I clear the big one each time, it remains below as a bottom edge banner.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:11 pm

ChesterDog206 wrote:I was reminiscing on the days when most of the reports on the site were genuine. My impression is that the balance on posts went from every day fisher people to sponsors and guides within the last year or so. The posts that serve as classified ads for guides are tolerable because they typically include an anecdotal story and photos, but the posts that mask as fishing reports only to advertise for lures and spoons are getting more and more common and annoying. If I never read about an Old Goat Gods Tooth again I'd be a happy camper. I'm sure others share my feelings.
Appreciate the feedback. One thing I would suggest is you don't have to read reports from companies that use the report form as a way to market themselves. Personally I'm happy to provide an affordable way for small businesses to promote themselves and grow. It's American Capitalism on display and one of the things this country is all about. And I learn and am motivated by fishing reports!

Speaking of which... I have often said that we appreciate all members whether they contribute or not by posting to the site. But if you're a member who has never in five years posted one fishing report, and only 4 forum posts, it's hard for me to get too worked up over a complaint of our small business partners posting their reports, if you know what I mean.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:35 am

Quad, looks like you just need a bigger phone.

TrackerPro16
Commander

Post by TrackerPro16 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:14 pm

That ‘Player’ one is sort of looks like what mine is but the bigger one is part way off the screen. The part with the ‘X’ in it.