local shop install Bow Mount Minn K. Terrova

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

local shop install Bow Mount Minn K. Terrova

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:02 pm

With a new boat in the garage, I am wanting to have an 80lb Minn Kota Terrova/I-pilot, etc. installed on the bow.
I am still trying to wrap my brain around the cost, but I was wondering if anybody has any advice on what to expect from the typical retail shops such as 3-Rivers Marine, or Bass Pro? I think Auburn has Limit out Performance? Or something...?
So, anyone have any experience with this?
If you buy the Minn Kota package from them, (not boat) do you expect/hope for a price break on installation?
Or free installation [-o<

I have not even been into a retailer to look at these things yet, just Googling.

(Payroll screwed up, owes me a bunch of OT.
Part of me was about to buy a pressure washer, LOL.. then I came to my senses, and said let the moss grow! Go look at the Terrova.

Sideburns
Commander

Re: local shop install Bow Mount Minn K. Terrova

Post by Sideburns » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:35 pm

Well since you've been googling, you should know what to expect for motor cost. $1500-2000
The basic motor install is less than an hour job. $100
Quick disconnect mounting bracket installed add $100
Do you already have Batteries, batt boxes, hold downs, cables, quick disconnect connector, circuit breaker and battery charger? $1000+
Ipilot "link"? you'll need a bunch more cables and setup (compatible humminbird fish finder not incl) $200
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:46 am

That’s the stuff that I was not aware of at all, Sideburns. Thanks for the details. Man, that’s an investment.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:53 pm

I recommend saving your money and doing it yourself. It's not hard at all. Literally just 2 wires. To mount the trolling motor onto the front plate or deck or whatever you call it, it's just 4 holes. Maybe it's 6.... Very easy.

Order some 6 AWG duplex marine cables, appropriate terminal connectors, heatshrink w/ adhesive from http://www.genuinedealz.com/. There was a vendor on Amazon selling some for a bit cheaper too but I dont remember who it is at the moment. The length depends on how you want to route the cables.

Order a quick disconnect plug like the Marinco or Minn Kota plug.
https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-12VCPS3- ... YX2KYJSYEQ

Order a 60 amp breaker.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/7140/1 ... _Mount_60A

Then routing the cable, you have options. You can install the quick disconnect plug at the bow, and run the wires underneath the front deck, down either port or starboard side. Or you can install the plug at either the rod locker end or the console end and run the trolling motor wires to it along the wall of the boat. Either way, from whatever you install the plug and to your batteries, is how much 6 AWG you'll need. From what I can tell, the Lund is pretty open, so you should have no issues running wires underneath the front deck or rod locker or console side. Looks like the decks also held in with screws, so very easy to remove panels if needed.

Install the breaker as close to the batteries as possible. I think most call for no more than 16".

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 pm

Also $100 rate is probably on the low side for us living around Seattle. I bet it'll be at least $120 per hr. I also find it hard to believe a shop will charge only 1 hr labor for it, even though I believe they should be able to get it done in 1 hr. I bet it'll be a "2-3 hr" job

Dont need to worry about the quick disconnect mounting bracket, unless you'll actually going to be removing the trolling motor when you get home.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:42 pm

FishingFool, Thanks for the insight and your time spent on the post. I know it’s something to consider.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:19 pm

Agreed, dont be a wuss, do it yourself! Lol, just kidding ...kind of. Good advice from fishingfool. That being said, I have no idea what your comfort level is for doing this type of work. The battery wiring, charger wiring, battery mounting, knowledge to acquire proper sized batteries and other components needed can turn into a larger task than expected (story of my life). Adding the ipilot link system adds substantially to the learning curve. Having the i pilot link motor and i pilot link humminbird in my own boat, I would recommend against the extra hassle and expense. Keep it as simple as possible. The ipilot works just fine without the "link".

If you get a freshwater trolling motor, you'll need to install the quick disco bracket to easily remove the motor for use in the salt. (could be handy also if the boat will be used for other uses than fishing) I personally didn't use a quick disconnect bracket on our saltwater minn kota though.

Speaking of batteries, how hard and how long do you want to be able to run your trolling motor? Trolling all day in windy conditions or speeds above 2 mph requires a lot of battery capacity. Batteries are expensive and/or heavy. Relying on a massive bank of batteries for trolling needs can really fall apart when camping without power available. A small charger like the minn kota chargers could take over a day to charge a set of big batteries. An average 6 amp minn kota charger would take over 33 hrs to charge my 200+ AH 12v battery from completely dead. We troll with our electric a lot. The bow mount wireless "autopilot" features are game changing for trolling, but with hard use I run out of battery before the day is through if I dont fire up the kicker. Do you have a kicker motor? What do you mainly fish for? We can at least help you figure out how much battery/charger you really need before walking into a retail (salesman) situation.

-As a side note....Ive sold batteries through my shop for cars, equipment and rv's fort many years. Although new lithium batteries, gel cells and agm batteries are major advances in many ways, next time around I'll be installing four old school lead acid 6v golf cart batteries in my boat. They have thick plates that make them the ultimate in durability and longevity. 70 lbs each, but have huge capacity and can withstand abuse better than any other battery known to man. Every time you forget to charge your batteries as soon as you get home will effect these types of batteries far less than others, and can handle overcycling (like running till absolutely dead) much better. They are 6 volts each and can be wired in series for 12v and 24v systems. I always recommend these types of batteries to my rv customers. Not the best power to weight ratio, or power density, just plain durable and long lived as long as you check the water level a couple times a season. Take the above advice with a grain of salt.... might not be the most popular opinion, and you might not have need for that much battery.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:05 pm

I too went the "wuss out" route, LOL.
Installed at Bass Pro in Tacoma. Overall they did a nice job. I added the on board plug in charger, a couple of the bigger batteries (there went half my storage under the passenger side seat). I can't remember the exact breakout of costs. For me it was worth it. I just din't have the time or confidence to do it myself.
Even though Tacoma is farther than Woodinville in my experience it's worth the drive. I've been very happy with all the work the Bass Pro shop has done on my boat so far.
You may want to consider spending a bit more and getting the Ulterra. The auto stow/deploy feature is awesome! And if you get the freshwater only version you will need to get a quick disconnect plate if you also fish saltwater.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:12 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:05 pm

You may want to consider spending a bit more and getting the Ulterra. The auto stow/deploy feature is awesome! And if you get the freshwater only version you will need to get a quick disconnect plate if you also fish saltwater.
Good point,Mike. I do go out and drop crab pots. (Quick disconnect plate)

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:58 pm

If you are still shopping for the motor, charger etc, you wont find any cheaper pricing than from BBG Marine. Give Brian a call. He is required to advertise list price on his website, but he discounts (almost) everything. You just need to call him or email him to get a quote.

I have purchased two different Minn Kota motors, three battery chargers, my old Humminbird sonar system, my marine radio, and my complete Garmin system and just bought the new LiveScope system from him. Ive probably spent $10k with him over the last several years.

I check prices all over the net each time and he is always the lowest - and not just by a dollar or two. Even including shipping from back east, the Ulterra we bought was $200 cheaper than anywhere else. The new Livescope was $100 less, etc.

He carries everything from chargers, to plugs, and cables, to motors, radios, sonar etc.

https://bbgmarine.com/

Remember, you have to call or email to get the real pricing.

Other than that, I highly recommend the Ulterra with Bluetooth if its in your budget. The spot lock is sooooooooo much better than anything else out there. Its awesome to be able to hold the boat inside a 5 ft circle instead of a 40 ft circle when you use spot lock. I will never own another trolling motor that doesnt have that feature.

Good luck with the install! I think its an easy job, but I have experience with electronics etc. I highly recommend the quick disconnect plate. Aside from a good idea if you use the motor in salt, its handy other times to be able to quickly remove the motor.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:36 pm

Thanks Larry, I will definitely look him up.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:08 pm

You might ask Brian about the Riptide (salt water) version of the motor you want. Last year, it turned out that the salt water version of our Ulterra was the same price as the fresh water version. We almost never use it in salt, but its nice having the option, and not having to worry about corrosion - especially for no extra cost.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:56 pm

Larry3215 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:08 pm
You might ask Brian about the Riptide (salt water) version of the motor you want. Last year, it turned out that the salt water version of our Ulterra was the same price as the fresh water version. We almost never use it in salt, but its nice having the option, and not having to worry about corrosion - especially for no extra cost.
Last I check, the Riptide version does not come with the pedal if that matters.

FishingFool
Commodore

Post by FishingFool » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Also my last order from BBG didnt include sales tax yet, so that's a bonus.

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:15 pm

I forgot about the no tax. Another plus.

Yes, the foot pedal is optional and not included. The bluetooth versions will come with the heading sensor that is needed for the 5 ft spot lock.