Stocked Trout Fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
tyson91
Angler

Stocked Trout Fishing

Post by tyson91 » Fri May 03, 2019 6:49 am

Hey everyone, I'm very new to fishing. I am trying so hard to learn everything on my own as I have had the urge to venture out and try it myself. I have done so much research on figuring out the equipment and techniques to use but I still can't seem to get the hang of it. I have been out fishing for the past 3 days and only got one bite and the fish ran off with my hook and bait.

I go to a local lake called Hicks Lake that is stocked with rainbow trout and I am fishing from the shore. I have a Ugly Stix Shakespeare GX2 Combo that is 6 ft 6 in and it is classified as a medium rod with a 6-15 lb capacity. Using the same reel it came with when I bought it.

I was initially using a Carolina rig with a 1/2 egg sinker, red glass bead, size 7 barrel swivel, 2-3 ft of leader line and size 8 hook. I was using Trilene XL 6lb mono for main line and Maxima ultra green 2lb mono for leader. I only got one bite after fishing for two days and it ran away with my hook and bait.

Today, I changed out my main line and leader. I am now using Segaur Invizx 6lb fluorocarbon for main line and Seguar Red Label 4lb fluorocarbon for leader line. No bites today.

For bait, I have tried Powerbait rainbow, Powerbait Garlic scent, Power eggs Chartruese, and Pautzke Salmon Egg Green Label.

I honestly don't know if my equipment is the problem or if my setup isn't right. I really need some help. If anyone would suggest what I may be doing wrong or have any tips, please let me know.

*One question*

For Carolina rigs, how far up should the hook float if I use Powerbait/Power Eggs? I tested a Carolina rig with like maybe 4-6 inches of leader line and tested it in shallow water just to see how it would look in water with a Power Egg. All I saw was that the hook wasn't laying on the bottom but just slightly lifted from the bottom due to the Power Egg. Is this normal or should the hook be higher than that? I just keep wondering if that may be why I'm not catching anything because it's not visible to the stocked trout.

noah the angler
Petty Officer

Re: Stocked Trout Fishing

Post by noah the angler » Wed May 15, 2019 3:45 pm

I dont no much about fishing for trout but I have been catching stocked rainbows at my local lake using inline spinners. Way faster to rig up and throw in the water than the stuff you are using also they catch other things to, just a tip but dont give up.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:42 am

You're bait should be floating close to leader length above the bottom when fishing powerboat or a marshmallow combo (or any floating type bait). Ditch the flouro leader and use a good light mono and you're bait will be running about right. Flouro is a heavy line that sinks which keeps your bait a lot closer to the bottom plus the extra loose line laying there makes bite detection harder. Also hook size can cause problems with how high your bait floats. I typically use size 8 or 10 baitholders with powerbait and a number 6 octopus for power eggs. Real salmon eggs are best fished under a float imo, though some situations having bait lasy on the bottom can be effective but that's the exception more then the rule.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

ArcticPlunge
Angler

Post by ArcticPlunge » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:14 am

Real salmon eggs do work well for rainbow trout. They tend to work best around the time salmon are spawning. I would try sticking with real salmon eggs. I've had a lot of success with spinners also. Here's a good resource on Rainbow Trout Fishing

Speedbird 48
Petty Officer

Post by Speedbird 48 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:52 pm

ArcticPlunge wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:14 am
Real salmon eggs do work well for rainbow trout. They tend to work best around the time salmon are spawning. I would try sticking with real salmon eggs. I've had a lot of success with spinners also. Here's a good resource on Rainbow Trout Fishing
Would they work on stocked trout that would never have seen a salmon egg before?

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:34 am

It's a difficult time of year to fish for stocked trout. The lake temperatures are warm after baking all summer which tends to cause the fish to go deep. Also, the lake weeds are all fully grown and choke the bottom of the lake. If you're going to fish off the bottom, use a floating bait, like powerboat. Use a sliding weight (like an egg weight), and about 6' of leader (I'd suggest longer, but trying to cast a leader longer than your rod is difficult). I think 2 lb test is a bit lite, so suggest a 6lb fluorocarbon, but that usually comes down to personal preference). The sliding weight will allow the fish to pull the offering without feeling the weight, which can help with hookup ratio. Just my 2c.

Things should improve as fall rolls in and the water temps start to cool, but I prefer spring trout fishing.

Keep trying and good luck!