Baitcaster vs. Spinning Gear

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Itray
Angler

Baitcaster vs. Spinning Gear

Post by Itray » Thu May 30, 2019 2:07 am

For all you backcountry canoe fisherfolk, I request your feedback. In the last year or so I've gotten into using a baitcaster and really love what it can do. People often say that baitcasters are hard to use but I haven't found that to be the case at all (mind you I had a wonderful teacher.) Still I hardly ever see them in the bush. Most people seem to bring spinning gear with them as I always have. So what do you prefer and why? Any baitcaster fans out there that take them when heading into canoe country? Your opinions are gratefully solicited.

BentRod
Admiral

Re: Baitcaster vs. Spinning Gear

Post by BentRod » Thu May 30, 2019 5:59 am

You're going to find all types of opinions...and that's exactly what it is, opinion based. To me baitcasters and spinning gear each have their pros/cons and will use them interchangeably based on my desires/comfort. Some will say one is better than the other for every application. Then some of it just boils down to what you're comfortable with.

I grew up with spinning gear, so switching to baitcasters was difficult, but once I learned how to use them I really like them, but still gravitate back to spinning gear simply due to already having it on hand and being comfortable with it. However, if I had a bigger supply of baitcasters and rods for my various applications I might use them more than spinning gear. FWIW.

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu May 30, 2019 11:27 am

+1.... grew up with spinning gear. Baitcasting has been so difficult for me, Ive all but given up. I have been able to stop my line with my spinning rod by hand very accurately for quite some time now, but still wish I could bait cast more comfortably.

I would imagine that most backcountry and canoe fishing is done with small tackle that would be much easier to cast with a spinning rod. When trolling from any boat I generally prefer to use conventional reels, but would always have to pack some spinning gear to cast small jigs. In a small canoe, without much space, one spinning rod would do both ok.
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Thu May 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Itray, I like your question simply because you aren’t asking the very over asked question that so many people ask, “What is better, bait cast or spinning reel”
Your point being, in a tight environment of in the bush, within your canoe, tight quarters.

I wish I could speak from being a good baitcaster angler. I am 90% spinning reel guy.

But here is my point.. with spinning rods you are mostly to some degree, arcing your rod back behind you and throwing it forward to cast.
Right there, that requires a certain freedom of motion, minimal tree branches behind you, clear area for back swinging rod. Even if you keep it subtle and bring the rod tip just behind your head, you need clearance above you.
(Yeah, sure, you can side cast I realize)

Watch this video on ‘flip casting, and pitching’ via baitcasting rod. To me this perfectly demonstrates why in a tight bushy environment
a baitcaster could serve you well.

I fish all the time, and yeah, I’ve got some bait casters, but to me anyway... it’s like guitar playing. All I do with my baitcaster is long arm throwing heavy jigs etc. long sloppy casting. If I don’t birds-nest it, then I’m a hero.
But that is as one dimensional as playing ‘smoke on the water,’ on your guitar.
The guys in my bass club that are flipping and pitch casting these reels, they are presenting the chosen bait SO much more effectively!

They are in effect, playing that rod/reel like a graceful jazz guitarist.
Anyway, silly analogy, and just my opinion, but again watch the video, and see how his rod never goes above or behind his head, and it’s a graceful presentation of your bait/lure.

https://youtu.be/Ebt_4Vq4hAA

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:06 pm

I havent done a lot of it, so no expert by a mile, but I flip and pitch with my spinning rig when in close quarters.

Thats mainly because I seem to be allergic to bait casters. I have never liked them from the first time I used one as a kid. I am the rats nest king of casting with a bait cast reel.

I am more than willing to believe thats it might be easier or 'better' in some way to use a bait cast reel to pitch or flip, just because thats what the pro's use. However, I still think you can do it effectively with a spinning reel.

I hate bait caster reels, so Im a little biased :)

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:51 pm

I'm pretty comfortable with either reel, my decision on which to use usually comes down to line control. If for example I'm planning on drift fishing or swinging hardware in the river the baitcaster wins hands down. An educated thumb is better then anything for quickly applying more or less drag on a hot fish in the current or hogging a fish out of the brush. Tossing light lures or delicate baits then spinning is a bit better. Especially for anything inbvoling a float, those things are just a birdnest waiting to happen for me [blush]
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.