location info

Have a good idea for the site? Lets talk about it!
Sideburns
Commander

location info

Post by Sideburns » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Hey Aaron, nice to meet you at the nwftv debut party, thanks to all that put that on! We were talking about how I was having a difficult time "as the end user" finding specific info about specific lakes. You told me to lay it on you... so here goes....

When I want to find a prospective fishing lake, or find out more about a specific lake, the first thing thing I'm gonna look for is the directory of lakes. Last time, I wanted show my wife something, I couldn't find it and gave up. After talking to you I now see that the info is still there just categorized differently, but I guess I'm very used to the old process.

I would suggest that the locations tab brings you to a search page like before, that can be searched alphabetically and or by species reported, state, county... etc...

Then once such an area is selected, bring the user to a location specific page with a basic description, followed by the heat maps, charts, etc.....

So that being said, I am fairly web developer illiterate, and certainly dont know anything about the difficulty level of doing this now. But there you have it, "end user suggestion #1"

Thanks
"If it still works, take it apart and find out why!"

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Re: location info

Post by Aaron » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:20 pm

Noted! I'll wrap up the current round of login issues the site is having and move on to usability things like this. It was great to meet you too, and I'm happy to hear all about things you'd like done differently that would make the site easier to use.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:05 pm

[thumbsup]

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks Aaron. I agree that finding specific lakes and all the info about that lake does not seem intuitive to me. I always seem to have to spend a lot of time mucking around before I find what Im looking for.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:48 am

Agreed on researching lakes and the reports. More filters like in the past was much easier (county, alphabetical, species, specific months, etc.). Sometime to find a lake I have to endlessly scroll through pages...

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:04 am

The vast majority of time, I am looking for info on a specific lake. I never feel the need to just search through random hot spots for example or random months to fish or bait to use. I always have a specific lake in mind when I look for hot spots or what ever else.

I would prefer to have an obvious and easy way to find a specific lake or Salt water area -THEN - be able to see/link to all the info on that ONE lake from that one place - reports, hotspots, depths, months, etc etc.

Of course, thats just me and Im an old fart :)

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 am

I like the new site appearance just fine, but as long as we are asking for changes, I would vote for having the banner thats at the top of the home page stay there on all the pages.
banner.JPG
That would save a click or two when switching from Forum view to reports, or other views, etc. Not a big deal, but Im getting lazy and wanting fewer clicks to get from one imaginary page to another :)

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Larry3215 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:04 am
The vast majority of time, I am looking for info on a specific lake. I never feel the need to just search through random hot spots for example or random months to fish or bait to use. I always have a specific lake in mind when I look for hot spots or what ever else.

I would prefer to have an obvious and easy way to find a specific lake or Salt water area -THEN - be able to see/link to all the info on that ONE lake from that one place - reports, hotspots, depths, months, etc etc.

What a great idea! Lol.. You didnt read my first post did you?

Larry3215
Admiral

Post by Larry3215 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:29 pm

Sideburns wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:38 pm
Larry3215 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:04 am

What a great idea! Lol.. You didnt read my first post did you?
LOL I did read your post, but that was yesterday or at least more than 5 minutes ago. I have CRS bad! I have no other excuse :)

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:49 pm

[thumbsup]
great minds think alike!

Sideburns
Commander

Post by Sideburns » Fri May 31, 2019 5:35 pm

Hey Aaron,

Just a quick jab here to check on this again. Any update? Or still way down the priority list? If the locations tab brought you to an index of lakes, which upon selection would bring you to a page like this http://www.northwestfishingreports.com/ ... tails/7683 (Currently available from Locations - Charts and data - American lake) - it apears that all of the info i normally search for is already there. Maybe add a hotspots and heat maps links to each area's page? - That way when clicking on "charts and data" from a fishing report page, the hotspot and heat links would be options there too.

Thanks
-Sideburns

Aaron
Owner/Engineer
Owner/Engineer

Post by Aaron » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:03 am

I'm listening.. and these items are definitely still on my radar, but I'm currently dealing with a family crisis and can't get to these changes just yet.
Aaron
Owner/Software Engineer

2009 Hewescraft 20' ProV
2009 Mercury Optimax 150
2012 Tohatsu 8hp 4-stroke
Minn Kota Terrova #80 i-Pilot
Humminbird 959ci HD DI
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Traxstech Fishing System

Sideburns
Commander