Public Rights on River

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
ljjohnson
Angler

Public Rights on River

Post by ljjohnson » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:56 pm

Subject: Pend Oreille River. New land owner on Pend Oreille River is chasing long time fisherman off of his sandbars and river banks that is 9 feet below high water mark, 75 feet distance from normal high river mark.This landowner makes sure everyone knows he has plenty of money to litigate. Would appreciate anyone who could refer me a good attorney to stop this action against us. Seems like Sheriff's office is taking is side based on his deed of trust? I was under the impression that federal law superseded deeds of trust? Am I wrong?

4n6fisher
Lieutenant

Re: Public Rights on River

Post by 4n6fisher » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:35 am

See attached link, also look up the old thread "public fishing rights in every state". http://courts.mrsc.org/mc/courts/zwashr ... rt0662.htm

We had this discussion after a homeowner on the Samish threatened to pull a gun on me!

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Idaho has a law directly on point in its Fish and Game laws. Look of 36-1601. That should convince the Sheriff. Federal law would use a different definition of navigability than this Idaho law.

Kastmaster 777
Angler

Post by Kastmaster 777 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:12 pm

yay, more fishing access being taken away

im being sarcastic