What to do ... with Chum Salmon

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Davidka21
Angler

What to do ... with Chum Salmon

Post by Davidka21 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:29 pm

I'm going to fish for chum salmon my first time, but I am bringing with me some of my nephews, the reason I am going to fish for chum salmon and not any other salmon, is because its the season and my newphews want an easier salmon to catch for the first-hand experience. Besides catching them, I know for sure they would want to cook what they catch. I know the Chum salmon are disliked, for their lower oil content, and worse meat quality since they start to spawn at the beginning of rivers or canals. My question is, from what I heard, that the best thing you can do with Chum is to smoke them. What are the best methods to smoke them, or any salmon, in general, to make it taste good or at least decent? And what quality of Chum would you stop at, If you were going to take some home. Any, other information about them would be helpful as well.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: What to do ... with Chum Salmon

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:54 am

I personally use a wet brine and get good results from chum salmon. As to at what point the meat is no good, other than catching a fish with obvious rotting flesh, you won't know until you cut it open. THe flesh would be mushy and extra pale (it's pale to start with)

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:40 am

Smoked chum treats for the dogs. Cube or strip the chum, smoke unbrined and vacuum bag in weekly portions. The dogs love them and they are good for them.

Shad_Eating_Grin
Captain

Post by Shad_Eating_Grin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:52 am

please also make sure that your chum is cooked to an adequate heat temperature, if you plan on feeding it to your dog. See the literature on the internet about salmon poisoning for dogs and the dangers of feeding raw salmon to your dog. Whether or not smoking is sufficient to avoid salmon poisoning, I don't know. I cook my salmon thoroughly before feeding to my dog, and also avoid taking my dog for a walk around rivers where there may be salmon carcasses lying around.

All that being said, I really don't like to eat chum myself. It's too much of an effort to try to enjoy it on the plate, even bright ones. I find the flesh too dry and unpalatable. I may keep one or two per year, and end up just feeding it to my dog or giving away.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:12 am

Thank you and agreed. Typically I smoke it until it is oily shoe leather and finish with smoker at 225° for an hour per USDA/4H reccomendations.

Bring on the chums, we're out of "Chum Dog Treats" and need a new batch.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:51 pm

If they're bright fish (no signs of color on the sides) then chum is pretty good pan seared. Once they get a little bit of color showing then I smoked them with a sweeter brine and brushed with real maple syrup. Comes out great imo. Once they get past a little bit of color, I'd let them go so they can do what they need to on the gravel.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:55 pm

If they're bright fish (no signs of color on the sides) then chum is pretty good pan seared. Once they get a little bit of color showing then I smoked them with a sweeter brine and brushed with real maple syrup. Comes out great imo. Once they get past a little bit of color, I'd let them go so they can do what they need to on the gravel.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:13 pm

My favorite thing to do with chum is catch and release them till my arms get sore! Also, I've had a local let me try some of his cajun smoked chum while fishing once and that was good. Might be something to look into..? Or just smoke it up nice if you get some bright fish. If their bellies are dark that's a good indication to release it too.