New spinning new problem

Talk about the gear that makes your fishing day.
SeniorSausage
Angler

New spinning new problem

Post by SeniorSausage » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi there

Past summer I've fished the first time in my whole life. My dad took me out for a fishing lesson. Beginning was quite boring, but when I got my first fish I was happy as a kid :lol: My dad gave me his spinning, and now I often go fishing with my family. My elder son got this passion too, so we often go out of town, camp, and chill.

Help me with choosing a new reel! My one is very outdated and it spins around not smoothly, even my dad doesn't know when and where he bought it. I'm interested in spinning reels for either inshore or offshore fishing. Which one do you use and why? Which one would you recommend for newbie? Any secrets about servicing reel and spinning in general?

Waiting for your feedback. Especially interested in Shimano reels, my dad said that they had not bad reels. I need more info ;)

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Re: New spinning new problem

Post by kodacachers » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Hello and Welcome!!
As you will soon find there are as many opinions on gear as there are fishermen and it often comes down to budget. Shimano makes fantastic reels, but most of them are quite expensive. The Sienna and Sedona are under $100 I think. I have Okuma reels--the RTX in particular, which is still a bit pricey in my book at $75. Plueger President is supposed to be a good reel at around $50 Others have recommended Kastking and bass pro shops/Cabelas reels. I'd imagine if you go down to your local shop, like outdoor emporium or even Fred Meyer you'll be impressed with even the low price reels nowadays. You don't mention the shape of your fishing pole, but there are some pretty good combos out there if you're looking for the pole as well. I'm a big fan of the Ugly Stick combos. My boys have those.

SeniorSausage
Angler

Post by SeniorSausage » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:15 pm

kodacachers wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:43 pm
Hello and Welcome!!
As you will soon find there are as many opinions on gear as there are fishermen and it often comes down to budget. Shimano makes fantastic reels, but most of them are quite expensive. The Sienna and Sedona are under $100 I think. I have Okuma reels--the RTX in particular, which is still a bit pricey in my book at $75. Plueger President is supposed to be a good reel at around $50 Others have recommended Kastking and bass pro shops/Cabelas reels. I'd imagine if you go down to your local shop, like outdoor emporium or even Fred Meyer you'll be impressed with even the low price reels nowadays. You don't mention the shape of your fishing pole, but there are some pretty good combos out there if you're looking for the pole as well. I'm a big fan of the Ugly Stick combos. My boys have those.
Thank you for your feedback, I've chosen Pflueger President Spinning Reel [thumbsup] . It costs $50 and it's quite a good reel, thank you, I haven't heard of it. I chose a budget reel for myself for a reason.

I want to thank my father, so I decided to gift him a good reel too. I think, my father will be a lucky duck with a Shimano reel. I don't know which one exactly I should buy. Sienna and Sedona are good options, thank you for them, but I want to gift smth higher quality. I'm thinking of Shimano Stradic Ci4+. Do you reckon it's a good and reliable? In this review Stradic is well appreciated...

My father is an advanced fisherman and he understands much about reels, so I need to choose one, that'll make him happy. I can't just give him a gift card or give him money, he'll never accept this =;

kodacachers
Lieutenant

Post by kodacachers » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:40 pm

I've never owned a Stradic, but don't think you can go wrong there! Nice gift for your father!

SeniorSausage
Angler

Post by SeniorSausage » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:42 pm

kodacachers wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:40 pm
I've never owned a Stradic, but don't think you can go wrong there! Nice gift for your father!
Thank you, I've not heard a bad word about Stradic, so I'll get it. I hope, my father will be happy :D Thank you for your feedback and time [-o< [biggrin]