Bass fishing from shore on Orcas and San Juan Islands?--report added

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fongster
Angler

Bass fishing from shore on Orcas and San Juan Islands?--report added

Post by fongster » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:54 am

Posted this over in Freshwater but maybe you guys can help here...

Hi, I'll be visiting these islands near the end of this month. I've heard of a few lakes to try--Egg, Sportsmans, and Cascade. I'm sure there may be more. I'd like to C and R bass fish but am limited on time and am also shore bound as this is more of a family trip vs a fishing one. I can bring 3-4 outfits with me. If someone can clue me into the primary techniques and tackle, that'd be great. I like to both power and finesse fish and have infinite gear and baits, lol. I just need to pare down to what are the best bets. I'm thinking of bringing a 6# dropshot rod, an 8# worm rod, a topwater/fluke rod and a 40# braid rod which I can fish reaction baits or frogs on (I saw pics with weeds and lily pads on a couple lakes). Are those good choices? Any other lakes to try? An idea of how accessible the shorelines are would be appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by fongster on Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisB
Captain

RE:Bass fishing from shore on Orcas and San Juan Islands?--report added

Post by ChrisB » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:03 am

More than likely you might not get much info about these lakes. They are probably under-fished due to their location, which can really work out for you. I would get on Google Earth and zoom in and try to see if you can see anything. Lakes that have a park with alot of shoreline, docks, good to float tube if you have one ? I see successful fishing in your future.
aka Powerworm

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:08 am

Send a PM to RacMvey ( I think that is how he spells it?) look him up in the members area. He has experience in the San Juans fishing the lakes up there.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

CarpMouth
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by CarpMouth » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Hello Fongster,

As we fish Cascade almost every week, here are my recommendations. You sound like us in saying you have infinite gear. If possible, I would not pare it down alot. I think our success is two fold - worms and infinite crankbaits.

If fishing from shore, then it's probably not convenient to carry six rods and four tackle boxes, but concentrate on a rod for worming and a rod for casting lures.

Drop shots or Mack's wedding rings with worm with serve you well. And as I say the more crankbait variety the better.

You can walk around Cascade Lake to the lagoon and fish from shore there from several places like the swimming rock, from the entrances to the bridge and from the points on either side before one enters under the bridge to the lagoon. Also along the rockery by the main road and a few other campsite areas.

Next time you visit Orcas, bring the boat as it will better your catch rate. The bigger bass are moving deeper now and towards the end of the month. Have lots of fun.

fongster
Angler

Post by fongster » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:29 am

Thanks guys. What's the forage for Cascade and other island lakes? Is Cascade weedy or bare bottom? Stained or clear? Thanks.

fishnazzi
Warrant Officer

Post by fishnazzi » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:10 pm

A buddy of mine swears the night bite is the best on those lakes..............a lot of fish but only after dark.

fongster
Angler

Post by fongster » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:41 am

Hi all, back home in so. cal. now. Had a nice time in WA and the San Juans--awesome people and places! I fished Egg on San Juan Island for 2 hours but couldn't crack it (pun intended). Sportmans was unfishable from shore--completely brushlined with heavy growth. I fished Cascade on Orcas for a couple hours by the boat rentals and scored my first two WA State bass. They were kind of small, only 11-inchers on a Cordell Spot. That sure is a beautiful lake, I can see why Carpmouth is on it so much. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll be back on another trip--a longer one for sure!

noah the angler
Petty Officer

Re: Bass fishing from shore on Orcas and San Juan Islands?--report added

Post by noah the angler » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:36 pm

Try Hummel if you get a chance, but in cascade in-line spinners seem to work for me for bass and trout.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Bass fishing from shore on Orcas and San Juan Islands?--report added

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:49 pm

Noah, the original poster has not been on the forum since Oct. 2011

San Juan county lakes don’t get a lot luvin/attention within the website. [-(