Spring/early summer weather patterns and bait selection

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Spring/early summer weather patterns and bait selection

Post by Juniah87 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:08 pm

I'm just starting to get into bass fishing in the PNW, and am trying to gather information on which rigs to fish, and when to fish them. So far, what I have gathered is during windy weather or choppy surface conditions, you want spinners or jerkbaits. In calm conditions, you are better off with something like a texas-rigged 4 to 6 inch soft plastic worm, or jig with a crawfish trailer. Are there any other gear selection tips based on weather patterns you can think of?

Also, color patterns. Chartreuse or black in low visibility water? I know black works well in low light conditions, such as night fishing. Along with Colorado blades on spinnerbaits because of the additional water vibration.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Spring/early summer weather patterns and bait selection

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:33 am

WAY too many items for me to answer at 2:30am, so I'll say you're correct for the most part, but double willow leaf blades can be good also, as can white, spotted brown/black/red skirts -bluegill and crappie and trout colors on the spinnerbaits.

Perch, and trout colored crankbaits, even baby Bass colored.

Crankbaits also when it's windy, of course the water temps should be solid into the 50s for the best bite.

Along with that which you mentioned, a dropshot and carolina rig, are good on calm and sunny days.

Now I'm back to bed.
Tom.

Interests: living

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:10 am

Whenever you think your about to get skunked, throw on a whacky rigged senko. I always have one on one of my rods whenever I go for bass.

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:45 am

Perch, bluegill, sculpin, crawfish, trout. Anything that can pass for one of those will get bit. Ive seen em eat bullhead catfish too.. They will eat anything, but I tend to stick with natural colors.

Spinnerbaits can work well in all conditions, but they work even better in windy overcast conditions. I always have one tied on. Not much into cranking, but I throw a lot of swimjigs too. Ill fish them just like a spinnebait and let the skirt and trailer do all the work. Sometimes the flash turns them off and they want something more subtle.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:14 am

Thanks for the replies guys, hopefully I can boat a couple lunkers this year!

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Are there any specific guidelines for sunny vs cloudy weather tactics or patterns?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:54 pm

sunny, calm water surface - more finesse, along with dead-sticking, and fishing around, and in, shadows.

cloudy, windy, raining - more moving lures, as well as finesse and dead-sticking.
Tom.

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:08 pm

Typically sun will make them want to hug tight to cover and in overcast weather they will tend to roam or chase a little more. When the sun really starts getting powerful they will prefer the shaded and cooler areas so targeting cover with a vertical presentation works well. When the water warms up to the 60s i like to start fishing faster and covering more water on those overcast days so i throw a lot more horizontal presentations. Hopefully this answers your question!

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Post by 253Caster » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:11 pm

[thumbup] Tom summed it up a lil better with much fewer words.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm old, less words = less stress, longer life.

[laugh]
Tom.

pcallejo
Petty Officer

Post by pcallejo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:23 pm

not to over-complicate the topic, but dont forget about water clarity. personally, i believe that should be your 1st determination of bait selection.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:26 pm

pcallejo wrote:not to over-complicate the topic, but dont forget about water clarity. personally, i believe that should be your 1st determination of bait selection.
Thanks for all the advice!

This comment brings up another topic alltogether, what are your top determinators when picking a lure and presentation?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Juniah87 wrote:
pcallejo wrote:not to over-complicate the topic, but dont forget about water clarity. personally, i believe that should be your 1st determination of bait selection.
Thanks for all the advice!

This comment brings up another topic alltogether, what are your top determinators when picking a lure and presentation?
If the sun is out, or not. :scratch:
Tom.

pcallejo
Petty Officer

Post by pcallejo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:48 pm

clear water 6ft+ of visibility= finesse fishing, natural or see through colors, realistic, no rattles, slim profiles, tight action
stained water 4-6ft=finesse or power, natural and higher contrast colors, light rattles, wide wobbles, medium profiles.
murkey water 2-4ft vis=finesse or power. darker colors, high contrast, bigger profiles, knockers, thump, displacement.
muddy water/night 0-2ft vish=dark colors, water displacement type baits that initiate lateral line/reaction bites, profile.

once i determine this, then ambient conditions play into factor. but, this is my thought process. has nothing to do with the sun being out or not???? whatever that means.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:55 pm

pcallejo wrote:clear water 6ft+ of visibility= finesse fishing, natural or see through colors, realistic, no rattles, slim profiles, tight action
stained water 4-6ft=finesse or power, natural and higher contrast colors, light rattles, wide wobbles, medium profiles.
murkey water 2-4ft vis=finesse or power. darker colors, high contrast, bigger profiles, knockers, thump, displacement.
muddy water/night 0-2ft vish=dark colors, water displacement type baits that initiate lateral line/reaction bites, profile.

once i determine this, then ambient conditions play into factor. but, this is my thought process. has nothing to do with the sun being out or not???? whatever that means.
night fishing vs day fishing
Tom.