New to Spokane area. Suggestions?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
TheBandGeek
Angler

New to Spokane area. Suggestions?

Post by TheBandGeek » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:05 am

So about a month ago I moved to Spokane from Seattle to attend Gonzaga University, and I'm really missing fishing more than I thought I would. My family is coming to visit soon and I have the opportunity to get some of my gear out here. Does anyone have some suggestions where to start as far as fly fishing goes for this area? Keep in mind that I would have to borrow a friends car so I won't be able to do much more that a weekend/day trip. I'm open to still water and stream fishing, just gettin the itch to feel that tug if you know what I mean! Thank You!
"The Tug is the Drug"
GU Class of 2019! Go ZAGs!

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Re: New to Spokane area. Suggestions?

Post by dwh4784 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:43 pm

The Spokane river is open for quite some time still, I've never fished below downtown but I've seen pictures of nice fish in there. There's also supposed to be a new access point under the Division street bridge. I've fished between the upriver dam and state line and caught some smallmouth bass and one redband rainbow. I may go after the trout a bit more this fall, I know there are some nice ones in there. It's all catch and release, selective gear (single barbless hooks and no bait). And couldn't be any closer to where you are located!

TheBandGeek
Angler

Post by TheBandGeek » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:53 am

Thanks!
"The Tug is the Drug"

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Medical lake, I rest my case.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:09 pm

Went to Medical Tuesday after work and fished until dark, caught one decent largemouth bass. Today went at first light and my wife caught one nice brown trout...I got skunked. It's a great place to bank fish though. Nobody there, minimal litter.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:25 am

Some of them trout in there get quite large, special gear regs really help to keep out the littering power bait chucking yokels, the lake can be pretty productive in spring.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

TheBandGeek
Angler

Post by TheBandGeek » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
"The Tug is the Drug"

mandmg
Angler

Post by mandmg » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:33 pm

I am a Gonzaga alum and grew up in Spokane. I moved to Seattle area a couple of years ago but was a member of the Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club - great club (Might want to check them out). Amber lake is a suggestion, Brown's Lake up by Usk, Rufus Woods, and if you can possibly make it to St Joe river in the upper stretches. In the early spring, Coffee Pot lake is a fun lake to fish as well as Bayley lake up North. Good luck - you are in a great area to fly fish.

NWFshHntr
Petty Officer

Post by NWFshHntr » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:38 pm

New to the area too, this is super helpful guys thanks!

JamarHeesy

bsp New to Spokane area Suggestions

Post by JamarHeesy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:53 pm

I live in spokane, not that proud of it, but welcome back.