Fly fishing in near Denver, in January?

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
drysuperfly52
Commander

Fly fishing in near Denver, in January?

Post by drysuperfly52 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:05 am

I just got the invite to work at the Denver fly fishing show in January. I will have a couple extra days at the end of my trip to hopefully get my line in the water, and hit up boulder and have some tasty beers. I know greater Seattle has a lot of Colorado transplants, what fishing options are there in the middle of winter? any info would be great.
Yes i am 6'8", NO i didn't play basketball in school

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Fly fishing in near Denver, in January?

Post by Bodofish » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:33 am

drysuperfly52 wrote:I just got the invite to work at the Denver fly fishing show in January. I will have a couple extra days at the end of my trip to hopefully get my line in the water, and hit up boulder and have some tasty beers. I know greater Seattle has a lot of Colorado transplants, what fishing options are there in the middle of winter? any info would be great.
I lived in CO for several years and there is some awesome fly fishing to be had but Jan may be a bit of a hard sell. Most of the places I fished, the water starts to get a little bit hard this time of year. The Show would be a better place to ask about place that aren't too hard in Jan. If you were to go late spring I'd have a list as long as my leg, starting with the Gunnison.

Best of luck! I love the Rocky's
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

HOG
Angler

Re: Fly fishing in near Denver, in January?

Post by HOG » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:55 pm

If your ever out this way again, check in on Fishexplorer.com I live 4.5 and 12 miles from some very good Walleye fishing. Chatfield, and Cherry Creek Reservoirs. For trout close to the Metro area another is Aurora Reservoir. I go by Icefishingfool on that forum.

I am planning on a family reunion come July 4th in Olympia, and would like to wet a line in either river or lake close to Olympia. Any suggestions ?