Fly rod and reel suggestions

Prefer fly fishing? This is the forum for you.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
branweeds
Warrant Officer

Fly rod and reel suggestions

Post by branweeds » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:50 am

Hello everyone,
So I have recently found a passion for fly fishing. Last year I chased a few trout with an old rod and reel from my girlfriend's dad, who gave me a couple of 1980's rods and several old Orvis reels. I really enjoyed learning how to cast, and I am really itching for spring to come to go after some more fish. My plan for this spring is to get a new rod and reel, and figure out what other gear might be helpful to me. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate them! Being a college student, I do not have 800 bucks to drop on a rod. However, I would rather invest in something slightly higher end that will last me through college and then some. My focus will also mostly be stream fishing for smaller trout, as well as some alpine lake type adventures, and maybe the occasional sea-run cutthroat? My guess is that a 3 weight will be able to handle all of this. Are there any specific suggestions anyone can give? Thank you!
-Brandon

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: Fly rod and reel suggestions

Post by Bodofish » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:10 pm

Have a look at some TFO and Echo rods, lot of bang for your buck. Reels... it really depends on where you want to fish and the closer you get to salt the more expensive they get. I have some Chinese specials I got on a deal a long time ago that server me well in the sub $50 range. But for most good disc drag reels you will pay $100 or better. I would say look at the lamson liquid, you can't go wrong. It's around C note and a bullet proof drag. Sorry the fly stuff does not come cheap.... I'd like to say you get what you pay for but a lot of stuff is hand made and gets the price tag that comes with it. I will say don't waste your time buying a used rod, chances are its had the life whipped out of it. A new moderately priced will serve you better than a worn high end rod. Don't forget a case for the rod and reel, very important for getting your gear to and from with no accidents.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

nwflycaster
Petty Officer

Post by nwflycaster » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:58 pm

If you can get the fly to the fish and present it well they don't care what the rod is, you already have a couple of rods and some old reels I'd just stick with those and keep saving for something you wont outgrow too quickly. Just re-spool with new lines of varying types and have at it.

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:49 am

Alright! Thank you guys for the info. I might end up looking at Cabelas sometime soon, or just getting some nicer line for my current reels. TFO looks like they make some nice rods as well. I am guessing that both of the rods I have are at least 30 years old and heavily used, so a new rod might be something I get first.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:46 am

I would guess 70% or better improvement with your casting by using a new rod (almost any price) and a new line. A reel really just holds the line unless you want to talk bigger fish. A 30 year old rod is not doing you any favors, no matter what it is or the emotional attachment.
I would suggest, if you can, get a new rod and then a line that's matched to you and your rod. Until you really have a feel for what you're doing, the local fly shop is a good place to buy a line as they usually have demo lines and you can take them out and try them. It makes the premium price a bit better after you get a bunch to try out. And probably get a few tips on casting at the same time. I'm sure you saw the announcement for the casting class. It's a great deal for instruction by an IFFF certified instructor or three.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

cruise67
Angler

Post by cruise67 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:04 pm

Go on ebay, and buy a Redington. Period. You can get a Redington Classic Fly Rod (medium action) for $100. Brand new. You can get a Redington Voyant (fast action) for the same brand new. You don't want a 3 wt. You will bust the tip on a big trout, and won't be able to cast in the Sound for SRC's. A 3wt is really just a dry fly rod which is great, but you'll have a hard time casting a beadhead wooly bugger, or nymphing a stonefly dropper rig. Can be done, but can also be very frustrating. A 3wt won't do you well in the wind either.

A 5wt. will be a good all around rod for the different things you mentioned. 5 wt. is good for dinks and for 20 inch fish, and will handle SRC's in the Sound, and trout in the current.

Use a weight forward line, and I suggest Rio brand. Reels- make sure it is machined and not cast. Cast will not hold up in the salt. A low end but very durable reel will cost you around 100 - 130. Again, Redington, Sage, Lamson, and Ross all make nice low-end reels with good drags that will last you for years if you take care of them.

So, my suggestions without tax and shipping will run you around 250+. And if you can spend more, I'd suggest looking on ebay for Sage rods. A used Sage is a great rod.

Why Redington and Sage? Because if you break either, both will replace with no questions asked. It would be a drive down to Bainbridge for you, but Sage has a dye for every rod they ever made. They will either have the section in stock and hand it to you right in the waiting room, or they will take a week to make you a new one.

Redingtons are made in China, so they usually just upgrade you with whatever comparable rod they have in the shop. Basically, your investment now is a rod you can keep forever, even if you break it.

I've heard great things about TFO and Echo, not sure where their companies are and what their broken rod policy is. Most manufacturers of good fly rods will replace broken rods. But being on Bainbridge, there is no reason for me to own anything but Redington and Sage, and they are great rods. Hope this helps.