Whatcom Creek - Bellingham Wa

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
dj2loud
Lieutenant

Re: Whatcom Creek - Bellingham Wa

Post by dj2loud » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:39 am

Truly unreal fishing here folks, fish are stacked up and there are a lot of bright chum available... Egg and Bobber bite was crazy...... I went 2 for 2 in 19 minutes total! Both bright beautiful chrome hens ( 1 @13lb and another at 11.3 ) ...... Beau mac egg cure was sure on spot. Baited my hook twice, hooked and landed. Landed about 20 or so fish for others fishing the wall for a bit and then rolled on home.. Just finished filleting them both and the meat is bright pink... As fresh as you can get...

I have been biting my tongue on some folks down here, tail hooking a fish, landing it with a net, slitting its gills and taking the fish is a NO NO......

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:48 pm

Sounds like you had a good morning. I landed two that ate the yarn, and two that were fowl hooked. Kept the first one and already have it filleted as well. Its going in the smoker! Crazy amounts of fish running up the creek

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:29 pm

Gonna go in the morning, wife is very unhappy right now considering the freezer space is just about full...

2 more fish will guarantee my smoke house will be full.....

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:20 pm

Check out the chum I got my hands on today! Right in the mouth too. A nice size chrome hen. They were biting today for sure, I had three on in the mouth in about five minutes.
Attachments
IMG_7246.jpg

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:02 pm

Thats a fine chum. That aught to smoke up very nicely.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:10 am

That has to be the brightest chum I have ever seen. Nice fish!

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:58 am

Thanks guys

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:32 pm

image1 (1).jpg
Some I have seen are so bright inside I have been scarfing them down baked in the oven or on the grill.....

No need to smoke them all, as you can see in the photo!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:23 am

branweeds wrote: Right in the mouth too.
[laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Jakefish
Warrant Officer

Post by Jakefish » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:34 am

The run is definitely winding down now - fewer fish that last week, and there are some real ugly ones in there. There are still some chrome fish mixed in, but it is getting harder to find them. Saw one chrome hen killed yesterday that looked real good until her belly started to turn grey.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Winding down, omg.... not likely...... they have yet to even come close to the 13 K plus fish that returned last year.......

Jmccvg29
Petty Officer

Post by Jmccvg29 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:33 pm

I just moved here, can I tag along with someone on Thursday thanksgiving day I have no idea were to start or what tackle I need..please

countryboy87
Lieutenant

Post by countryboy87 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:18 am

Jmccvg29 wrote:I just moved here, can I tag along with someone on Thursday thanksgiving day I have no idea were to start or what tackle I need..please
Ill probably be going friday and be willing to show ya the ropes

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:44 am

All you need is hooks, weights, yarn and/or corkies, swivels and line. 2-4 ft of liter. unless you go a different route, but that's what most people use. If you have time you should just head down there before hand and check out what people are using. There are some friendly people willing to share info there. Also, you definitely don't need 3oz pyramid weights or cannon balls like some people use. 1/4 - 3/4 oz. is fine. Also don't leave your gear or anything valuable unattended while you fish!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:18 am

I doubt winding down is appropriate. Generally the run is strongest this week.

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:23 am

I was there last Sunday and there was very few fish compared to the previous 2 weeks, and a lot of ugly old fish. But I am sure this coming rain will bring a huge push of fish in!

branweeds
Warrant Officer

Post by branweeds » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:14 am

Went out to my Jeep this morning to find out that someone broke into it and stole my fishing backpack I left in there, as well as my new stereo and some other crap. So now I'm down a couple hundred dollars in tackle and gear that was stuffed into my backpack. This was over on Boulevard, which is near the bums n chums fishing. If anyone sees someone looking like they have never fished before, toting a blue and gray Dakine backpack, send me a PM please! The BPD got one fingerprint from the window but we don't know much else. Everyone keep your doors locked in Bham!

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:40 pm

Damn dude, that sucks arse... If i see anyone at all with your gear i'll sure to tackle and throw them in the damn river... Drown their ass..... Just a FYI there are undercover and dressed fish and wildlife roaming this place now daily... You may not know them but they are there lurking..... I stay away on the weekends, but i will be there this week.....

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:22 pm

When does this run usually end. I have a buddy who wants me to take him out to stock up on eggs but was wondering if its still worth the drive

fisherman92
Lieutenant

Post by fisherman92 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:28 am

I'm sure it depends on the year. It was great fishing just 6 days ago though! I would think it should be good for another week or two? I've never fished it past November really.