Skookumuchuck river

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
DriftingTheNorthwest
Petty Officer

Skookumuchuck river

Post by DriftingTheNorthwest » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:29 pm

I am heading out to the Skook most likely this weekend on Saturday and the flow is looking to be a little over 1000 and I was not sure of that being too high for fishing this river since it is such a small river. Thanks in advance

253Caster
Warrant Officer

Re: Skookumuchuck river

Post by 253Caster » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:55 pm

It should be fishable, but the recent storm runoff really dirtied up the water last couple weeks and the fishing hasnt been too good from what I am hearing. Good luck!

DriftingTheNorthwest
Petty Officer

Post by DriftingTheNorthwest » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Ok thanks, most likely ill stick to plunking then

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:21 am

Im planning on trip this week after night shift in seattle....... should be able to get up to bloody run by 7 am

Peduncle
Angler

Post by Peduncle » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:22 pm

Big mudslide upstream this year it's a goner I'm afraid to say. 6" of vis but if you get lucky and fish hard you might find one that will play. It's been a real bummer considering there is no lack of opportunity

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:39 pm

This runs a total mess....... Won't be driving down there again anytime soon.....

Peduncle
Angler

Post by Peduncle » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:35 am

Had it reached maximum occupancy on Saturday DJ? Tuesday's are bad enough!!!

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:17 am

'Been a lot of things happening on the SKOOK..... River Junky's is doing a clean up this coming weekend after hearing about the trash and the needles being left all over the place, yes folks NEEDLES!!!! Not something anyone wants to ever have to clean up but RIVER JUNKIES IS DOING IT ALL OVER WASHINGTON ! They always need volunteers! Kudos

Fishin'Daze
Petty Officer

Post by Fishin'Daze » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:59 am

I was there yesterday (Thursday) and picked up a bag full of garbage didn't see any needles though but wasn't looking for them. The river's visibility is ok 2 ft or so but alot of water coming down. Most of the areas I normally fish were under water and flows were faster than normal. Did see 1 fish caught - 5 or so lbs - but I didn't get any takers. Still a great day outdoors. Please pick up your garbage and cigarette butts. I guess it's time to get the boat out.

bkawafishin
Petty Officer

Post by bkawafishin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:02 pm

Was thinking of going tomorrow to the skook. Last time I went it was still pretty high and dirty at about 6.8ft. anyone been lately that can comment on river conditions? Would appreciate a reply or pm from anyone in the know. Thanks.

pugetsoundfishinguy
Angler

Post by pugetsoundfishinguy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:46 pm

low and a little dirty today, 2ft of visibility 447cfs at the bloody run gage but alot better than its been...some bright fish pushing upriver after last week's rain. good luck it's probably worth the trip or head the cow...it's heating up.

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:29 pm

been hearing the water is dropping and the bite is on... Heard from neighbor the bite has been fantastic down on the cow at blue creek. of course the place was a **** show this week end......

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:23 pm

.... I've obv been a bad boy as posts are being deleted.. My opinions will from now on be kept to myself, if your as mad as i am then step up and get involved.......

cxlumpy
Petty Officer

Post by cxlumpy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:51 pm

any updates on the river? ive never fished it before and im thinking about hitting this river on the way back up from the cowlitz.

bkawafishin
Petty Officer

Post by bkawafishin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:14 pm

I was there yesterday. Water level/clarity was good, and the weather was nice. The place was deserted save a couple of guys at the hatchery. No fish to be seen. I was there from dawn until about 11am. Started out at the lower river and hit up by the hatchery afterwards.

I was up at blue creek the friday before last. Only saw a few fish on the bank (one was an early springer). It had been awhile since I had been there...forgot how crazy it can be at times. Between the sled noise and the limited bank access...and the folks on the sleds casting indiscriminately across everyone's lines.....it was kind of hard to get into relax mode....having said that, I will be back next week :-)

cxlumpy
Petty Officer

Post by cxlumpy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:10 pm

bkawafishin wrote:I was there yesterday. Water level/clarity was good, and the weather was nice. The place was deserted save a couple of guys at the hatchery. No fish to be seen. I was there from dawn until about 11am. Started out at the lower river and hit up by the hatchery afterwards.

I was up at blue creek the friday before last. Only saw a few fish on the bank (one was an early springer). It had been awhile since I had been there...forgot how crazy it can be at times. Between the sled noise and the limited bank access...and the folks on the sleds casting indiscriminately across everyone's lines.....it was kind of hard to get into relax mode....having said that, I will be back next week :-)
im heading out to the cow tomorrow morning to hopefully it wont be as crowded as it is on the weekends! thanks for your info!!

dj2loud
Lieutenant

Post by dj2loud » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:44 am

Here's to shaking the tree...... The river has fish in it, AND NO ONE'S GONNA TELL YOU ANYTHING! Blue creek has had some big steel as of late, GET OUT AND FISH! Lured beads been doing the job ( cough.... Genocide killer orange Cough ) ( Cough ....blood money.... Cough 12 mm.... )

dwh4784
Petty Officer

Post by dwh4784 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:46 pm

Needles on the riverbank, man that's tough. There's sketchy stuff around here, but I think I would seek out confrontations if people were leaving needles. And that's definitely not my style.

Juniah87
Warrant Officer

Post by Juniah87 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:00 pm

I'm a bit confused, according to the WDFW's public access site list, blue creek is open year round, but according to the regulations pamphlet it is closed after april 14th until June 1st...? Which one is correct? Also, Skookumchuck river only open another 2 weeks for steelhead? Seems to be quite a bit of contradiction in the online resources WDFW has.

Peduncle
Angler

Post by Peduncle » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:43 pm

No contradiction at all. Blue creek is a trib of the Cowlitz river. And the regs are correct.