Rod question

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Latnem
Angler

Rod question

Post by Latnem » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:29 am

Im new to river fishing, I was given a new lamiglass certified pro x 90 hc rod. I was wondering if this rod is mainly a trolling rod or is it suitable rod to be used for bank fishing on a river.

Onmygame
Lieutenant

Re: Rod question

Post by Onmygame » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:57 am

Your HC (which stands for Heavy Casting) is a heavy power, fast action casting rod in a 9' length.

You will want to pair it with a decent baitcasting reel as the strip guide (lower most) on your rod is designed for one.

onmygame

Latnem
Angler

Post by Latnem » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:09 am

Thanks. Do you know if this rod is just for trolling or can it be used for bank fishing?

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:17 pm

Not good for trolling. Good for plunking/barfishing, or good for vertical jigging for lingcod, and chinook from a boat in the salt.

Too long to twitch jigs, too heavy to swing spoons, too short and fast to be great for floatfishing, too fast action to troll. Can you do all these things? Yeah probably, but certainly not ideal.
hi my name is john, and I'm a fishing addict.

Latnem
Angler

Post by Latnem » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:56 pm

Thank you for answering my question!

Latnem
Angler

Post by Latnem » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:34 pm

I picked up a lamiglas rouge river special with reel for 50 dollars. It's a 8'6" medium heavy casting rod. I fear this rod may not be what I'm looking for to bank fish with.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:17 pm

What is your prefered technique and fishing style? Swing spoon? Float fish? Twitch jigs?

If your swinging spoons go with a 9' medium power fast action spinning rod. spool your spinning reel with braid and learn to tie either a double uni knot or improved clinch and clinch knot for line to line connection. I havn't swung spoons enough lately to warrant buying a dedicated spoon rod. I used to own one though, which was as described above.

If your float fishing, i prefer an 11'6 centerpin rod with a centerpin reel lined with either 15lb seaguar monofiliment or 12lb maxima ultragreen. Many other people also like baitcasters, typically 10'6 , IMO either is fine just pick your poison. My centerpin rod is a 11'6 fast action medium power 8-15lb GL2 gloomis

For twitching you want a short fast action light-medium power rod with a short handle as the long handle will hit you under the armpit and will be annoying. The lighter the rod weighs the better. My twitching rod is 7'6" extra fast action 6-10lb rated g loomis

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:50 pm

I'm with Jonb on this one. It all depends on your technique. To be clear any rod will work under many conditions but when you get down to specific technique choosing the right rod can be key to improving your technique which in return improves your catch rate. If float fishing I use longer rods like 10'6 and above. Something light enough to be able to play the fish without popping the hook out but with some backbone to be able and control the fish also usually I choose a rod rated 8-12lb spooled with 15lb braided. For drifting an 8'6 to 9'6 is ideal I like using rods rated for 6-10lb spooled with 10lb izorline. Don't do much twitching but what job suggests is a good choice. If you are plunking then you need a heavier rod to withstand chucking ounces of lead.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:28 pm

Just a side note on a float rod, the length depends more on the water you're fishing than anything else. I float fish with as short as a 7'6" rod on a couple small pieces water, but a 9ft or 9'6" is probly the the better all around option. I fish 10ft most of the time as I'm comfortable with that rod but if your fishing in tighter quarters or having to bushwhack to get into a honey hole, longer lengths can be more of a hindrance than anything.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

jonb
Commander

Post by jonb » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:25 pm

I agree with both riverhunter and spokey too.

I typically fish medium-large rivers, 11'6 helps me keep my line off the water even if im casted far. On smaller flows 11'6 could be a huge pain in the ass. Good point. Although im not sure they even make centerpins less than 9' and even then those are usually custom built from flyrod blanks.

I only fish mono on my centerpin (which is common) because centerpins have a tendency to birdsnest, however if i were using a spinning rod to float fish, it would definately be braid for sure. Since i switched to C-pin though i won't go back to spinning ever again lol.

Lets not forget spey rods and single handers too guys lol [-X [flapper]