Skykomish chinook

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
FishAddict
Petty Officer

Skykomish chinook

Post by FishAddict » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am

Looking for fly suggestions for targeting Chinook on the skykomish. Staying hopefull that the season opens in June! If anyone is looking for a fishing partner I'm available every evening and weekend! [biggrin]

Eglseder
Petty Officer

Re: Skykomish chinook

Post by Eglseder » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:10 pm

FishAddict wrote:Looking for fly suggestions for targeting Chinook on the skykomish. Staying hopefull that the season opens in June! If anyone is looking for a fishing partner I'm available every evening and weekend! [biggrin]
Can't help you with the fly selection, as I am wondering the same, but I would be willing to meet up to try and give 'em a shot!! I should have sunday-tuesday off in June!! I would make the trip over from Spokane to try that AND the cascade. I will keep you in mind when the time comes, as I'm always looking for fishing partners. I need to do more fly fishing and not many of my friends do it, so I don't break them out often enough!

-Brian

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Tue May 01, 2018 3:06 am

Awesome! I haven't fished either river yet, but i'll be out there somewhere. Also will be doing a lot of beach fishing for coho when it opens!

riverhunter
Commander

Post by riverhunter » Thu May 03, 2018 4:28 pm

Skykomish kings are notorious for being tough to bank anglers. This is mainly a drift boat fishery that said a good bet would be fishing with eggs either plunking, free drifting or float fishing. Boaters do well with flatfish or qwikfish. I know not fly gear but this is what will be used. Remember salmon stop feeding so making them take a fly could be tough unless you get in front of some really aggressive fish

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Fri May 04, 2018 12:23 am

Thanks for the info! Sounds like it will be challenging to target on a fly and even more so from the bank. Maybe adding a rattle to a fly could work. Something with just enough vibration to piss them off.

FishAddict
Petty Officer

Post by FishAddict » Fri May 04, 2018 3:22 am

After some early morning reading I also found a good article on color choices.

http://www.salmonandsteelheadjournal.co ... on-colors/

I found it pretty informative and a good start in building a new fly box for this fishery.