How long does a open scent bottle last?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
MGTom
Petty Officer

How long does a open scent bottle last?

Post by MGTom » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:45 pm

I have an older Atlas Mike's lunker lotion and a couple pro-cure water soluble scents. Realistically how long does it last once open. I keep them in frig, and in cooler, but inevitably it gets left out in the boat, or carried in my vest all day. Thx
I date my worms, I guess I should do these to. How do you know when they go bad, it all smells awful to me?

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: How long does a open scent bottle last?

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:19 pm

I have bottles going back years. Still use them, still catch fish. I bet the scent manufacturers will tell you one year...

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:58 am

Same here....I'd be more worried about the oils going bad, but frankly, it's mostly about covering up the human scent in my opinion. I've had luck with scents that are 5-10 years old....so who knows what the shelf life is. The Anise scent I've had forever still smells like Anise.

pointbob
Angler

Post by pointbob » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:19 am

I've got a bottle of scent from 1997 and it still catches fish. I use it only once in a while....