Rest in peace, old fishing buddy

Dedicated to the pursuit of the Noble Muskellunge.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Don Wittenberger
Captain

Rest in peace, old fishing buddy

Post by Don Wittenberger » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:18 pm

Tony Welch was born in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, in 1935 and grew up in musky country. In his later years he lived in Portland, Oregon. I don't recall how I met up with him, but he and Mike Nielsen and I fished Merwin together many times. Tony's best Merwin fish was a 26 lb. tiger caught down by the dam on an ugly green crankbait he bought for $2.00 from the bargain bin of a Portland sporting goods store. He caught it about 10 minutes after I lectured him that tiger muskies are color-finicky and he'd never catch one on that thing. Since then, I've revised my assumptions about tiger musky color preferences. He retired from fishing a few years ago, and I last talked to him about a year ago, at which time he had advanced dementia and barely remembered me. Tony died July 8, 2022; his life story is here:

https://obits.oregonlive.com/us/obituar ... d=36210670.

I'm now 76, and slowing down, but still have my boat and the musky itch. I'm not used to fishing alone; I did last September because Mike wasn't available, and found I could barely manage single-handedly fighting and netting a 22-lb. fish. So I guess I'd better not catch any big ones. Right now I'm painting a large deck, but hope to get down to Merwin this month, maybe in a week or so.
Last edited by Don Wittenberger on Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Re: Rest in peace, old fishing buddy

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:44 am

I’m sorry for your loss, Don. Thank you for sharing Tony’s story, and your story of your time with him.