The best trout lure?......WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
fullstringer98
Warrant Officer

The best trout lure?......WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

Post by fullstringer98 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:59 am

I have heard that this kind of Kastmaster is productive that I attached, but I would really like to hear your personal favorite that has worked the best for you. Please let me know what you think!:)
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (1.75 KiB) Viewed 11977 times
Last edited by fullstringer98 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diehard 'Hawks fan

Gonefishing
Commander

RE:The best trout lure?......WHAT DO YOU THINK?????

Post by Gonefishing » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:31 am

I used that color several times at Greenlake when I had the chance last year and had lots of luck with it until the lake got too warm.

crankbait42
Commander

Post by crankbait42 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:47 am

Rapala, especially the discontinued color "clown" with silver plating in either F-7 or J-7
Last edited by crankbait42 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:02 am

I don't think there is a "best" trout lure. Lures are tools, nothing more, nothing less. Still, I'll offer my top 5 over the years.

In no order what-so-ever:

1) Flatfish, F-7, Gold on sunny days, Black with orange spots on cloudy days, frog in stained water.

2) Panther Martin Spinners, with feather tails.

3) Rapala original, both silver and black or gold and black.

4) Dark Leach flies, fished with fly rods or trolled.

5) Thomas Buoyant Minnow spoons

Now don't expect me to be using these all of the time, or even most of the time, but again, over the years, these are my favorites.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

fullstringer98
Warrant Officer

Post by fullstringer98 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:30 am

That was VERY helpful. I have to purchase some of those, any other must have lures that any of you out there that you would suggest?
Last edited by fullstringer98 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diehard 'Hawks fan

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:49 am

I've always been partial to the black and yellow Panther Martin. Also, have had lots of luck with basic Rapalas (jointed, non-jointed, silver, rainbow trout pattern, or shad color). Orange or red flatfish (I think F7) with black dots. Silver spoons. Many options. All depends on the day and season...oh, and Rooster Tails have treated me well in the past(white, green, yellow, or black.)

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:38 am

I love me a brass Kastmaster. I've used the rainbow ones, but the majority of my fish come on the brass one. The 50/50 one is good, and silver. I like the perch one when bass fishing.

Although I love kastmasters, there are times when you need a spinner. I really like the wyld edge spinners. They are fantastic. I get the mix and match sampler. The couple that makes 'em always gets them out to me in a couple of days. I really like the hildebrant spinners that are unweited when I'm fishing in the little trout creeks that I fish. You can swap out the hooks when you're fishing for big fish.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:02 pm

Wedding rings out produce all the above mentioned.... After wedding rings a good floating repala in rbt works the best. Yesterday my friend through everything in his tackle box and could not keep up with me and my repala...
Here are some recent repala fish!

Last edited by fishaholictaz on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:31 pm

Like was said above... there are so many great lures, and it just depends on conditions of the day at your given lake. But I'm sure we all have our Go To lures.
I agree with you that I like all the Kastmasters really well, and especially the brass one. The added bonus of these is that they are just a perfect weight to allow you to toss them a distance. The Wedding ring mentioned above.... don't think of it for just trolling. You can rig it with a small weight a few feet above the lure, and suddenly you're casting a wedding ring. When I was a kid, for years my favorite lure was a bladed spinner made by Mepps, called the Bolo. Silver blade with an orange sticker that had black dots. I haven't seen the spinner in years, but if you look at Mepps Pop Gear stringers, they still make on in the Bolo pattern.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:36 pm

Dick nights in just about any color, Rapalas,, either the jointed or not but ive always preferred the jointed, vibrexs and panther martin spinners both catch plenty of trout. Theres just so many ways and different lures that catch trout its hard to go wrong
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:21 pm

I have to give some love to Hot Shots, Tadpollys and Flatfish. Along with a stacked bead spinner (wedding band), they are great trolling baits and will catch just about anything that swims. You can use them in a rivers and streams as well and you'll find that in those situations they are just about as effective as bait. Way back when, I remember them being referred to as "nets" by those who fished the Thompson River in BC.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:09 pm

Don`t trout fish as much as you guy`s but when I take the kids and put bassn on the back burner wedding rings have worked best for me. Not as experienced as the guys and gals above but this works great for me and the kiddos.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:27 pm

size 2 Rooster tails in white or gold
Blue fox size 2 in gold or silver
small kasmasters silver/blue silver/green and all gold
and senkos no joke.
"One more......."

Uncle Wes
Warrant Officer

Post by Uncle Wes » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:47 pm

I have been making my own for years, spinners, spoons, and worm trolls. Mainly because I can get any color combination I want. If you are not sure how to make your own spinners Jed Davis has a book out on spinner fishing for Steelhead, Trout, & Salmon. Might be worth checking out. If you look in the article archives you will find that I have written articles on making your own wormtrolls, ie.. wedding rings and also how to break a lake down. I was surprized to find that my articles date clear back to 2002, nice job Mike. Anyway I hope this helps.
The Troutist
Uncle Wes Malmberg
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Uncle-Wes/354228301302839" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Columnist, Northwest Sportsman Magazine
Columnist, Mason County Outdoors
Member, Northwest Outdoor Writers Association

fullstringer98
Warrant Officer

Post by fullstringer98 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:02 pm

Wow, thanks to all of you that have told your favorite it is very appreciated.
Last edited by fullstringer98 on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diehard 'Hawks fan

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:58 pm

wedding rings. f4 frog flatfish.
fish on!

coretron22
Warrant Officer

Post by coretron22 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:02 am

saltyseadog wrote:wedding rings. f4 frog flatfish.
ditto on those 2! check out the Uncle Wes "worm troll" articles, then you don't need to buy a wedding ring...

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:30 am

When I used to troll years ago, I had two lures that worked well. For Cutthroats I would use a Kastmaster with international orange on it. Cutts love orange. Brooks also like orange.

For Rainbows, I would use a red and silver or brass Super Dupper. Rainbows seems to have an appetite for red and black.

Shredder101
Angler

Post by Shredder101 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:03 am

Best lure depends on the area you are fishing.... That is why they make "Tackle Boxes" so us fisher guys load up on $3.00 to $5.00 lures! LOL Personaly my favorite is "Panther Martins" as they are weighted and have great action! Trial and error is the only way besides asking others around you what they are catching them on. I still have lures my grandfather gave to me and landed a nice trout on a very old paint chipped "dare devil" spoon last week.. That was kewl!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:21 am

I fished at silver lake the last couple of days, and it was difficult to get the fish to bite. I brought my spinner box, that also has flat fish and rapalas and everything in it mentioned, and I couldn't get the fish to bite for the longest time. Then they'd bite something, and then they wouldn't touch it again for an hour or so. But I knew they were there, they were just indecisive, and when they did bite they were such short strikes that I had trouble getting a good hookset. as it turns out, with the clear water, they wanted something brass, but they liked green. So I ended up using a Joe's Flies colorado blade spinner that has the neatest looking flys on the end with a trailing hook that fights back against the short strikes. I ended up catching like ten or so fish. But then the next day they didn't like that spinner one bit, the same fish wanted a bigger chartreuse blue fox. I carry them all and if one doesn't work after a long enough time I use something else. Just because Kastmasters are my favorite doesn't mean I use them all the time. They're fun to fish with, and when you buy the fred meyer knock offs they're really cheap. And you can launch them all the way across the small alpine lakes.