Can I get some details how to fish lead line

Talk all about trout here.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
cobrar543
Lieutenant

Can I get some details how to fish lead line

Post by cobrar543 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:23 pm

I see that the line is sold in 100' rolls as a minimum, that being the fact. Do you use backing behind it? Do you use a long leader? I have never used it but would love to start and try.
Thank you.

Beelzebis
Angler

Re: Can I get some details how to fish lead line

Post by Beelzebis » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:40 pm

I don't know how everyone else runs their rigging but I pull out the lead from the center of the cord about 10" and snip it off. Then I feed 8lb test line into the center of the cord and make three overhand knots beginning about 1/2" to 3/4" from where the 8lb line meets the lead core and then another overhand knot about 3" down from the previous one and the final knot it just shy of the cut end of the cord. I then cut the 8lb test line with about a 3' leader and attach a small barrel swivel. I then attach 4lb test to the swivel with whatever leader you want from there. I can send you pictures of my setup when I get home later tonight if your interested.

Beelzebis
Angler

Post by Beelzebis » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:41 pm

One more quick note, when using a barrel swivel between the 8lb and 4lb lines make sure it is small enough to fit through the eyes on your pole.

wlai
Petty Officer

Post by wlai » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:50 pm

Beelzebis, I would love to see the pics, can you post them? Thanks

Beelzebis
Angler

Post by Beelzebis » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Yeah I will try to post them this evening.

ridgeratt
Warrant Officer
Location: Working on my stress level, So I'm fishing someplace

Post by ridgeratt » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:01 pm

It has been referred to as a living sinker, Usually runs about 5 feet a colour depending on speed so if you mark fish at 30 feet it's 6 colours. I also tie the leader to the line as described above but I usually run about 40 feet of 14 to 17 pound test flouro.
It works for all types of fishing from Wally's to trout. The heavier leader will keep the larger fish pinned also.

rseas
Commander

Post by rseas » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:14 pm

Appologies up front, I'm typing this on my smarter than me phone...

I often fish lead line but my approach is a bit differnt and kind of a phased setup.

1) On an empty reel tape the end of the lead-line on the spool and load three colors + a few feet of the lead-line on the spool then cut the lead-line saving the balance of the spool.

2) Remove the lead core from a foot or so of the loose end of the lead-line now on the reel.

3) Using a Double Uni Knott tie 20# braid of your choice on to the end of the stripped lead-line. Then fill the spool with the 20# braid. Cut the braid when the spool is full.

4) The PIA part; you will need two empty spools or a second empty reel of the same type/size. The goal is to load the braid/lead-line combo on the reel braid first. With the same reel as a second reel it is easy and you just load reel to reel. Otherwise you have to transfer to one empty spool, then another and then finally onto the original reel.

5) Reel now loaded with the 3 colors of lead line on top, strip the lead core out of 1-2' of the lead-line. Then using your favorite braid to mono (or in this case, stripped lead-line to mono) knott tie a 60' top-shot of 6-12# flourocarbon.

That is basically it. I use the lead-line setup almost exclusivly for kokanee so I just attach a small snap to the end of the fluorocarbon top-shot to make changing dodgers easier. My reasoning for running only three colors of lead-line is; at 1.0-1.4 mph 3 colors is all you need. Infact using this approach I have snagged the bottom in 70' of water. It happened with just the 3 colors of lead-line in the water and none of the backing. Running just the 3 colors/braid combo allows you to load a fair amount of backing on smaller reels while reducing the overall weight.

cobrar543
Lieutenant

Post by cobrar543 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:31 am

Perfect RC. that is exactly what I wondered. I can redo from one to another. I knew there had to be a mixture due to so little line being sold from the dealers

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Both my leaded line reels, Daiwa SG47LCs, are spooled with a full 100 yards of leadcore. Have been that way, with the same lead core for, oh 6 or 7 years now. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

pasichnyk
Angler

Post by pasichnyk » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:17 pm

I have recently tried leadcore line as well, for kokanee (and soon cutt/rainbow) trolling. I went with 5 colors of 18# Tuff microlead, with 8# mono backing and top shot (30'), loaded up on line counter reels. I have just been out with it on the water once, with some standard kokanee terminal year (swivel, small sling blade, short leader, and a wedding ring/spin hoochie/etc). I am on an inflatable with an electric troller, so am able to go as slow as I need, though tried between 1-2mph, mostly down around 1-1.5. I found myself just trying to guess at my depth with the gear and speed, but really having no confidence in knowing how deep I was running. I realize that the line doesn't sink completely linearly, and tends to sink less per color the more colors you have out due to drag on the line itself. Just not sure what that curve really looks like, how speed impacts it, how the topshot/tackle floats or sinks, etc. Does anyone have some good rules of thumb for this type of line/tackle/speed that will get me more in the ballpark for figuring out depths given amount of line in the water?
Jesse

2016 Saturn Kaboat 14' (inflatable kayak meets dinghy)
Minn Kota Riptide & 1993 Johnson 8hp
Garmin Striker 4DV

rusty
Petty Officer

Post by rusty » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:40 pm

With 18# line it should be about 5' deep per color. I found that is true for the first 3-4 colors. Deeper than that I use down riggers or cannonball weights.

pasichnyk
Angler

Post by pasichnyk » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:20 am

So if I needed to get a bit deeper, say 35' for cutts on lake Washington, need to add a little banana weight if I stick with the lead line? (no downriggers on my inflatable...). Or just let all 5 colors and some mono out and should be able to get there?
Jesse

2016 Saturn Kaboat 14' (inflatable kayak meets dinghy)
Minn Kota Riptide & 1993 Johnson 8hp
Garmin Striker 4DV

TeachingTitusToFish
Petty Officer

Post by TeachingTitusToFish » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:07 pm

I recently picked up an Okuma reel with a line counter that was spooled with leaded line. Probably a stupid question, but how do you set your line back from the boat if using leaded line? Lets say I want it set 75ft back from the boat, how much line do I need to let out without snagging the bottom?

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:19 pm

TeachingTitusToFish wrote:I recently picked up an Okuma reel with a line counter that was spooled with leaded line. Probably a stupid question, but how do you set your line back from the boat if using leaded line? Lets say I want it set 75ft back from the boat, how much line do I need to let out without snagging the bottom?
You'll need to do a bit of planning if you want a specific setback when fishing lead line. Depending on how deep/number of colors you plan to fish, you factor that amount of lead line and then you make up the difference in leader length. So 2 colors of leaded line = 60' and to make your 75' set back you want 15' of leader/top shot.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:11 am

TeachingTitusToFish wrote:I recently picked up an Okuma reel with a line counter that was spooled with leaded line. Probably a stupid question, but how do you set your line back from the boat if using leaded line? Lets say I want it set 75ft back from the boat, how much line do I need to let out without snagging the bottom?
With a line counter reel you read the counter for actual amount out. My Daiwa's indicate single foot increments, so if I want 75' back, I let line out until the counter reads 75. I haven't paid attention to "how many colors" since moving to line counter reels several years ago. [wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:40 am

rseas wrote:Appologies up front, I'm typing this on my smarter than me phone...

I often fish lead line but my approach is a bit differnt and kind of a phased setup.

1) On an empty reel tape the end of the lead-line on the spool and load three colors + a few feet of the lead-line on the spool then cut the lead-line saving the balance of the spool.

2) Remove the lead core from a foot or so of the loose end of the lead-line now on the reel.

3) Using a Double Uni Knott tie 20# braid of your choice on to the end of the stripped lead-line. Then fill the spool with the 20# braid. Cut the braid when the spool is full.

4) The PIA part; you will need two empty spools or a second empty reel of the same type/size. The goal is to load the braid/lead-line combo on the reel braid first. With the same reel as a second reel it is easy and you just load reel to reel. Otherwise you have to transfer to one empty spool, then another and then finally onto the original reel.

5) Reel now loaded with the 3 colors of lead line on top, strip the lead core out of 1-2' of the lead-line. Then using your favorite braid to mono (or in this case, stripped lead-line to mono) knott tie a 60' top-shot of 6-12# flourocarbon.

That is basically it. I use the lead-line setup almost exclusivly for kokanee so I just attach a small snap to the end of the fluorocarbon top-shot to make changing dodgers easier. My reasoning for running only three colors of lead-line is; at 1.0-1.4 mph 3 colors is all you need. Infact using this approach I have snagged the bottom in 70' of water. It happened with just the 3 colors of lead-line in the water and none of the backing. Running just the 3 colors/braid combo allows you to load a fair amount of backing on smaller reels while reducing the overall weight.
I don't understand this. Can you film it?
I have a reel with 3 colors of leaded line. Never caught anything on it.
Always thought I would need a larger reel to hold all the line
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook

He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

TeachingTitusToFish
Petty Officer

Post by TeachingTitusToFish » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:26 pm

So if the counter says I have 75ft out, can you give an estimate about how deep I would be? Also lets say I have 75ft of leaded line out, plus 15 ft of leader, would my line be 75 feet deep and 15 feet back?
hewesfisher wrote:
With a line counter reel you read the counter for actual amount out. My Daiwa's indicate single foot increments, so if I want 75' back, I let line out until the counter reads 75. I haven't paid attention to "how many colors" since moving to line counter reels several years ago. [wink]

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:12 am

General rule of thumb is 5' - 6' drop per color. Standard length per color is 10yds or 30ft. So for your 75ft of lead core, you'll be about 2 1/2 colors out assuming you have a full 30ft for the first color. If you're trolling between 1.5 - 2.5mph your lure depth will be somewhere around 12' - 15'. After much research on my part in the past, I can say leader length has virtually no affect on depth, especially one only 15' long.

I fish Roosevelt a lot, and in winter run 150' - 155' back including a 50' fluorocarbon leader, so at roughly 3 1/3 colors out, my gear is presented in the 15' - 18' zone since I troll well above 2.5mph. Btw, the test rating of the line has nothing to do with sink rate. It is the test rating of the sheath only. Some newer leadcore (Sufix 832 Advanced is one) have different sink rates, but the traditional versions have the same drop per color in 15# & 18# test. I've used 18# for over 7yrs with great success.

Here are a couple charts that may help. If you're trolling below 1.5mph, you will get more drop and would need to compensate accordingly.

https://deeptrout.wordpress.com/2010/10 ... ing-depth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.baitrodreel.com/detailed-lea ... pth-chart/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

[wink]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System